Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 02:57 PM

566 posts, read 592,259 times

Advertisements

Now that I'm stuck in the house the sewing machine was dusted off and oiled...

The fabric has been waiting to marry the thread.

I happened upon the quirkiest little thing to sew and found lots of tutorials on YouTube.
It's called a bowl cozy and it fits a standard 6" bowl, for microwaving.
The bowl cozy goes into the microwave and acts as a potholder. The four points are handy
to pick up the bowl which is nested inside the cozy. Take it from the microwave and the
hot bowl can nestle in your hands without getting burned. A bowl of ice cream stays cold
longer since the double layer of cotton batting insulates it.

A neat little thing to sew up as a gift.

Last edited by countryswan; 07-31-2020 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 03:15 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,199,915 times
My pants. Coronavurus stay home weight gain. The buttons must be moved.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:28 PM

I draw inspiration from that simple act of your moving button over a tad.
Good for you, brave one.
I usually imagine I will lose weight by next week and of course, it never happens and I go on for weeks on end uncomfortable and stubborn.
thanks for sharing.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:31 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Sewing has always been therapy for me. I have had access to a sewing room since I was four.

Currently working on a linen dress and a children's quilt.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:04 PM

Linen is undoubtedly my most favorite fabric.
How dreamy to be sewing a linen dress. It'll be stunning..I just know it..
Are you familiar with FS, (that's fabric-store dot com)? Beautiful, beautiful linens.
I have purchased from them a few times but I love the linen so much I'm reluctant to cut it.
Isn't that silly?!
The childrens quilt sounds nice.. Is it a particularly challenging design? Colorful?

I finished a quick n' simple lap quilt today for a friends mom who had successful brain surgery.
It was a somple -simple 10" squares quilt in rustic New England colors with a black tri and cranberry and cream homespun small check on the reverse side. It's adorable. I hope she likes it.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:07 PM

Linen is undoubtedly my most favorite fabric.
How dreamy to be sewing a linen dress. That's one lucky daughter and one special mama.
Are you familiar with FS, (that's fabric-store dot com)? Beautiful, beautiful linens.
I have purchased from them a few times but I love the linen so much I'm reluctant to cut it.
Isn't that silly?!

How's that children's quilt coming along?

Old 08-06-2020, 03:45 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
I will check out FS. I purchase most of my fabric online. My linen came from dailylike.ca. The quilt fabric came from the workroom.ca Both A+ Customer Service.

I get the reluctant to cut it! Just do it!

The children's quilt is coming along. I have the squares done. Just trying to figure out the borders, or do I really want them. Putting it down for a couple of days and will look at it again. Hopefully time with spark my decisions!

Old 08-06-2020, 08:53 AM

I checked out that website.

Yes, very nice fabrics for sale there. Have you ever bought one of their patterns, and if so,
are they "true to size for Americans", or do they run much smaller than American size women?

Old 08-06-2020, 09:00 AM

p.s. gigi, having access to a sewing since you were 4 y/o...
You must know your way around every stitch, dart, gusset, hem, and binding (etc).

We must keep in touch!

Old 08-06-2020, 09:48 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I am still making masks - up to 700 now. All donated. Our local group is working on needs for the schools now, it's a huge undertaking. I am looking forward to getting back to quilts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation