Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM

23,637 posts, read 70,592,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Not true. Spouse wanted sourdough bread, he never cooked anything. Now he bakes really good bread, also bagels & focaccia. He learned from SIL & YT. You can do it, too.
I think there might be a qualifier there - Teach a hungry man to wash dishes and he'll eat as long as someone else cooks. Teach him to cook and paper plates are a good investment!

What I sense here is the desire for English muffins or something similar that are good, but also do-able for someone starting out. Waiting overnight for dough to rise is a few steps down the road. An-tic-i-paa-tion...

What is even easier along these lines is starting out with (gasp) Bisquick and the instructions on the box.

Those are much more honest and decent than whacking a toilet paper tube full of dough to make a pre-formed chemical biscuit. Then move on to homemade biscuits with three or four ingredients (sausage - not kosher but yumm) and a simple well in the flour and mixing by eye. Results are fast and tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM

24,769 posts, read 11,091,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I think there might be a qualifier there - Teach a hungry man to wash dishes and he'll eat as long as someone else cooks. Teach him to cook and paper plates are a good investment!

What I sense here is the desire for English muffins or something similar that are good, but also do-able for someone starting out. Waiting overnight for dough to rise is a few steps down the road. An-tic-i-paa-tion...

What is even easier along these lines is starting out with (gasp) Bisquick and the instructions on the box.

Those are much more honest and decent than whacking a toilet paper tube full of dough to make a pre-formed chemical biscuit. Then move on to homemade biscuits with three or four ingredients (sausage - not kosher but yumm) and a simple well in the flour and mixing by eye. Results are fast and tasty.
Harry, there is an old David Allen Cole on the radio right now:>)
Some folks like those things and my SO is one of them.

Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM

23,637 posts, read 70,592,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Harry, there is an old David Allen Cole on the radio right now:>)
Some folks like those things and my SO is one of them.
LOL! I have a "Take This Job and Shove It" movie poster - based on one of his songs. Barbara Hershey and Martin Mull and others. He did the title song.

Yeah, fun stuff. We're getting off topic though...

Old Today, 05:53 AM

15,583 posts, read 7,609,519 times
Here's a page with Kroger's English Muffin selection. My wife likes the Thomas items. https://www.kroger.com/pl/english-muffins/0300400004

Old Today, 07:20 AM

20,982 posts, read 28,518,514 times
I love Wolferman's thick English muffins, but they have to be extra toasted.

Old Today, 08:20 AM

12,096 posts, read 8,483,847 times
English muffins. Corn meal and all. How can anything so humble be so wonderful?

Old Today, 08:58 AM

24,769 posts, read 11,091,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaChris View Post
Thank you! One my honey do list for Friday.

Old Today, 10:03 AM

6,720 posts, read 5,967,699 times
The Market Basket (New England supermarket chain) has store brand English muffins that are "fork split", in other words you work them apart with a fork from the slight cut they come with.

Old Today, 10:07 AM

2,372 posts, read 623,765 times
Mine too Threestep2

Old Today, 11:43 AM

10,925 posts, read 7,457,680 times
I've made English muffins at least a couple of times; in the '70s, when I was into sourdough, and more recently, using a bread machine.

They're pretty simple with a bread machine (mine was $15 at a thrift store). You toss in the ingredients, set to "dough", then roll out the dough and cut with a round cutter; you can use a jar or glass as a cutter. Then you cook them on a griddle or frying pan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink