Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 09:02 AM

17,382 posts, read 15,535,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Valid points about factors driving higher premiums. But FL already had some of the highest premiums in the country so what is different?

You have modified no-fault it pretty much works the opposite of intended.

In Florida you have to meet the serious injury threshold. The easiest to meet would be the significant loss of an important bodily function. (like now it hurts to walk, I need to use a cane, I can't fully use my arm or lift much etc. etc. etc.) If you meet that *wink wink wink* and we have a doctor and chiropractor we can recommend then you can sue. It's like a cottage industry.

https://www.lwmpersonalinjurylawyers...nt-in-florida/
Yep. My attorney made me go through physical therapy to work on an "injury" to my shoulder following an accident. I was confused at first, but later got an understanding of how corrupt the system is. Lawsuit.

It was great for me, as it helped with a lingering injury from my hockey days as a youth that had nothing to do with the crash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 09:14 AM

3,373 posts, read 2,160,919 times
We were paying $2,148/year for full coverage and roadside assistance on my work truck (21') and my wife's sedan (22'). No accidents, tickets, or claims ever made. Have had State Farm for 21 years. Used roadside once last year when some idiot deflated the rear tires of half the vehicles at my wife's school, and got a tow in 2022 when I had a defective brake booster. Beginning in January of this year our annual premium jumped to $3,120.

SF offers some device you put in your vehicle and link via an app on your phone in order to potentially get a discount of up to 30% (the exact discount can fluctuate based on the data it collects). After some testing and follow-up conversation with our agent, I'm convinced it's either nonsense or requires fundamental reprogramming. SF's app penalizes a driver for driving at night, frequent stop/start events like stopping at Stop signs in a residential neighborhood or slumping along during heavy rush hour traffic, accelerating sufficiently to merge onto the highway, and even turning onto perpendicular roads or your driveway (considered turning too sharply).

But yeah, auto insurance (like homeowners) is quickly going through the roof in FL between the scammers, corrupt attorneys and doctors, ****-poor drivers, and quarter of the operators on the road driving without any insurance. Btw, a statistically relevant minority of drivers here don't even have a valid license either if FLHSA ticketing information is accurate. I understand 75% of the state's residents hail from elsewhere in the nation originally (we're transplants as well), but it's almost like there's some undiscovered environmental hazard here, pervading the aether, that turns people cynical and stupid. Of course, it probably doesn't help that many of these young folks have s*** parents and the DMV hands out licenses like candy to anybody with a pulse. Hopefully it gets sorted out before we have to experience sticker shock with adding our young children some day. Some of my acquaintances are being quoted $450 - $700/month to add just one teenager to their policy, which strikes me as being insane. We earn a comfortable amount of money, but I'm not eager to part with increasing globs of it as the CoL reaches evermore absurd levels.

/rant

Old 05-08-2024, 10:20 AM

3,473 posts, read 2,460,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
This is why Elon Musk and Tesla will dominate soon when their autonomous vehicles will be the new Uber. More people will move away from personal vehicles due to the cost.

Of course this is basically the plan but the current government. Get people out of owning and driving their own cars. Elon was smart enough to see that and plan for it.
I'll keep driving my golf cart within my community and to all the local businesses and entertainment I frequent, and if I need to travel, I'll rent a car.

But for now I have my 2010 tin can on wheels, it gets me where I need to go and my insurance premium isn't much different from what it was before we moved to Florida, 4 years ago.

Old 05-08-2024, 12:34 PM

78,644 posts, read 60,823,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Yep. My attorney made me go through physical therapy to work on an "injury" to my shoulder following an accident. I was confused at first, but later got an understanding of how corrupt the system is. Lawsuit.

It was great for me, as it helped with a lingering injury from my hockey days as a youth that had nothing to do with the crash.
There was another no-fault state, I think they since reformed this for obvious reasons, but the pain and suffering was a multiple of actual damages.

So you were incented to make your medical bills as high as possible so that you would get more pain and suffering $$$.

Old 05-08-2024, 03:53 PM

3,270 posts, read 3,228,914 times
We pay $3500 a year from Geico here in Gainesville—2011 CRV and 2014 Fusion. 3 claims, no tickets, $250 deductible, comp and collision.

Old 05-08-2024, 05:53 PM

78,644 posts, read 60,823,449 times
OP based upon the prices everyone else is paying, is there anything else on your policy besides a single Honda Accord? A boat or perhaps a couple collectible cars? Relatives or business cars etc?

Otherwise with a clean driving record etc. it makes no sense as you are about double everyone else posting.

Is someone else paying your bills and telling you it is 6k when it's really 3k and pocketing the difference?

I'm an analytical person and something is *wrong* in the narrative.

Old 05-08-2024, 06:36 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 7 days ago)

8,823 posts, read 21,307,313 times
My Honda Accord's insurance is < $2100 in South Carolina. I have Liberty
Mutual which I have had since I was on my Dad's policy in 1968.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-09-2024 at 01:26 PM..

Old 05-09-2024, 04:25 AM

25,942 posts, read 12,960,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
OP based upon the prices everyone else is paying, is there anything else on your policy besides a single Honda Accord? A boat or perhaps a couple collectible cars? Relatives or business cars etc?

Otherwise with a clean driving record etc. it makes no sense as you are about double everyone else posting.

Is someone else paying your bills and telling you it is 6k when it's really 3k and pocketing the difference?

I'm an analytical person and something is *wrong* in the narrative.

If you review the OP's history of threads started, the narrative will become clear. There's a common thread/theme. Not everyone likes The Free State of Florida.

Old 05-09-2024, 06:46 AM

503 posts, read 529,375 times
How many accidents have you had?

Old 05-09-2024, 12:26 PM

4,581 posts, read 2,296,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
If it ever gets to 6k a year i am done driving.

Done driving and possibly done living in FL if our car insurance gets that high.

We pay $1300 for a 2021 car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida