Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 02:37 PM

17,554 posts, read 39,191,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
I took my children (17 & 13) to Bonnet Springs while visiting family last January so we could get some fresh, warm air away from Atlanta. Secretly, I just wanted to check it out for myself. They were both impressed as my 17 year old son is only moved by food and girls, lol. I didn't expect to be there more than an hour, two at best. Five hours later, I still felt like I missed some things as there was so much to explore and longing for the day I go back alone to truly soak it in.

He who controls the media controls the narrative, or at least directs the spotlight away from their own BS, lol. Lakeland will never be more than it is; a large sprawling town living in the beastly shows of its neighbors to the east and west, AT BEST. A 120ft height limited in the downtown core and limited density even where density is encouraged. Lakeland is very much taking baby steps in that respect. However, I fully expect Winter Haven to embrace increased density and start developing a skyline that rivals Lakeland in the very near future.
I am curious why you say this ^^^. Frankly I kind of hope you are right about Lakeland, I love the small scale of downtown, and having said that they have been adding quite a bit especially to the west side of Lake Wire.

But why do you think Winter Haven will "embrace density?" I really love that little city, and it has soooo many things I love about it for the small size that it is. I love that so many businesses in the downtown core are owned and operated by young people. Also Winter Haven has benefited IMMENSELY from the small scale developer SixTenLLC. They have single handedly bought and renovated old dilapidated buildings downtown and sold or rented them to entrepreneurs. They are also developing the new food court "Bowen Yard" which is going to be awesome when finished (which will be soon). My husband and I buzz over to Winter Haven usually once a week for dinner or something.

There is a new hotel that just opened in downtown WH. Not that crazy about it, but watching the short video makes me think maybe you are right about it embracing the growth and density. I think it is definitely more progressive than Lakeland despite it's smaller size. Also the fact that it has LEGO Land, the largest in the country also brings in a lot of tourism.

Bottom line, we are thrilled to live where we do. We love the area as it is and look forward to these cities fulfilling their potential while retaining their charm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2024, 10:05 PM

733 posts, read 1,304,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am curious why you say this ^^^. Frankly I kind of hope you are right about Lakeland, I love the small scale of downtown, and having said that they have been adding quite a bit especially to the west side of Lake Wire.

But why do you think Winter Haven will "embrace density?" I really love that little city, and it has soooo many things I love about it for the small size that it is. I love that so many businesses in the downtown core are owned and operated by young people. Also Winter Haven has benefited IMMENSELY from the small scale developer SixTenLLC. They have single handedly bought and renovated old dilapidated buildings downtown and sold or rented them to entrepreneurs. They are also developing the new food court "Bowen Yard" which is going to be awesome when finished (which will be soon). My husband and I buzz over to Winter Haven usually once a week for dinner or something.

There is a new hotel that just opened in downtown WH. Not that crazy about it, but watching the short video makes me think maybe you are right about it embracing the growth and density. I think it is definitely more progressive than Lakeland despite it's smaller size. Also the fact that it has LEGO Land, the largest in the country also brings in a lot of tourism.

Bottom line, we are thrilled to live where we do. We love the area as it is and look forward to these cities fulfilling their potential while retaining their charm.
I can almost guarantee that I'm right about Lakeland. The city has ordinances on the books to preserve development standards and prevent growing too big. It's kind of weird because in the same stroke the city wants access to amenities and services found in other larger cities. Avelo immediately comes to mind. I'm also befuddled as Mayor Bill Muntz openly made a push for more density in downtown Lakeland which contradicts the policies meant to stave off that type of development. Phase one of Prospect Lake Wire, the 7 story Oak Street project east of Chiles Middle, and the 1500 units planned for The Ledger site (The article says 500 but the Index Investment Group lists 1500 on their site)

SixTenLLC has several projects that have caught my attention over the years. The hotel you spoke of left a lot to be desired from an architectural standpoint, but I truly appreciate the aggressiveness in developing a site that serves several purposes. Meanwhile in neighboring Lakeland, the city has been trying to develop condo/apartments/hotel on the parking lot on which the Terrace Hotel sits for over a decade to no avail. However, the reason I made that statement you replied to is because Winter Haven is in a unique position. For starters, Winter Haven is quickly approaching buildout and the available land that Winter Haven has access to is shrinking. That leaves developing what's left east toward US 27, heading south toward SR 60, or annexation of some of the unincorporated communities in the Winter Haven service area. The way the landscape is changing in Polk County, I see Winter Haven building up instead of out. Just a hunch, lol.

I'm glad that you're happy with the charm of the area. I hope that charm remains an undiscovered treasure.

Last edited by HeartofFlorida; 03-17-2024 at 10:18 PM..

Old Today, 01:59 AM

Quote:

Follow-up regarding Winter Haven, and density.
Downtown Winter Haven - Florida Trend

Old Today, 08:20 AM

17,554 posts, read 39,191,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
Follow-up regarding Winter Haven, and density.
Downtown Winter Haven - Florida Trend
Wow - that was a great article and I really enjoyed reading it! It reinforces all the positive vibes my husband and I get about Winter Haven. I look forward to seeing how it develops. I love that the vision is for the coolest small town in Florida. Definitely a gem.

Old Today, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Wow - that was a great article and I really enjoyed reading it! It reinforces all the positive vibes my husband and I get about Winter Haven. I look forward to seeing how it develops. I love that the vision is for the coolest small town in Florida. Definitely a gem.
I thought that article was great as well. I found it by accident, lol. Anyway, I truly believe that Winter Haven (downtown) will rival Lakeland in the very near future based on the information that's available now.

As stated a few months ago, Winter Haven is embracing density at least in the core downtown area. The proposed Carl Condominiums is evidence of that. Although just an initial rendering, I like the architectural style in addition to the height. I'm not a skyscraper junkie by any means although I admire what rises from the ground and touches the sky. It's worth noting that both Winter Haven and Lakeland have the same maximum height limits capped at 120 ft. Winter Haven is winning, lol. If Winter Haven continues with more urban infill projects like Bowen Yard that will compliment and support new development, the hidden gem that is Winter Haven won't be so hidden for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida