Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 05:58 AM

36 posts, read 64,430 times

Advertisements

We have two gold fish one is a telescope were attached to them as we had them for over 3years. They are active fish and eat well. We are planning a move from NY to FL soon and I was wondering if I take the auto train can they survive if I leave them in the car with an air pump that is battery operated. The problem is the air pump only works I believe upto 10hrs and the trip in train is 18hr. Any suggestions? they are part of our family so we cant give them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 09:03 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,405,367 times
Best option is to sell/give them away imho.

If I were moving and did want those fish I would have a friend overnight them in the mail. That way you can move, get settled and set everything up and have them mailed when ready.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:11 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
I have moved with lots of fish.

I drop the level of water to only a few inches and add a portable air pump.

Temp is the biggest concern. Would change 25% of the water if traveling for more than a day.
I have added ice to the water when I moved in the summer. This provided a slower temp change than a major water change. The warmer temps have less less oxygen and the low water level will get pretty warm in a uhaul.
In the winter a cooler helps. Or use styrofoam around the tank.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:15 PM

922 posts, read 790,814 times
Prior to our move from Denver to Southeast Kansas, we had a 55 gal and a 10 gal. Most were swordtails that we had bred over the years, and had quite a few of them. We also had two very large angelfish, one of which we had raised since it was the size of a thumbnail. We found homes for the swordtails, but due to the size of the angelfish we were having difficulty finding anyone equipped to take them. Plus, we were pretty attached to them.

So we decided to take them with us, and set up the 55 gal as soon as we got there. We put them in a 10 gallon bucket with a bubbler, and had it secured in the car we were towing behind the UHaul. It was very hot, in the 90s, during our trip. We had the cats in the air conditioned cab with us. A few hours into our trip, my husband informed me that "Fred and Ricky didn't make it." It had gotten way too hot in the car. I felt so bad, and so guilty for being the cause of their unpleasant demise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish