Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 11:14 AM

22,101 posts, read 9,653,039 times

Advertisements

The best core and back strengthening I have ever done is reform Pilates. Game changer. I didn't have the issues OP describes so check with your doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 12:03 PM

11,096 posts, read 7,013,487 times
Last December I had a lumbar spasm that sent me to the ER for a pain shot and an anti-spasm injection. It was the worst pain I've ever had since childbirth and a lung surgery decades ago. They sent me home with an anti-spasm med and a strong pain med. I keep those on hand because the orthopedist said that it will likely happen again. So far, so good though I had a minor bout about a month ago while clearing out a storage unit. The spasm was the result of a fall two years prior that had never healed (bursitis and an IT band injury). It's finally healing after more than 2 years, largely because of a move and a lifestyle change. If I sit too long, it comes back.

I've found steroid injections to be very helpful in the past 10 years. When I was a kid (a high school cheerleader) I fell on my tailbone while practicing and fractured it. It took about 10 years to heal. Wish there had been steroid injections back then. I think steroid injections are the way to go -- as many as they will allow in a given period. I get them occasionally in my hips and knees (it's now down to about once a year).

I know that physical therapy works for some people, but my most recent sessions made things worse. It depends upon the type of injury, also it varies from person to person. I've known people who swear by physical therapy and others for whom it did no good or made things worse. I would definitely try it though, as one never knows. It's also important to do the home exercises as much as one can tolerate. I'd love to try reform Pilates.

Old 04-21-2024, 12:19 PM

20,185 posts, read 13,613,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The symptoms you describe might be lumbar stenosis, a narrowing of the spaces where spinal cord nerves pass through various channels in the spine. It’s often a chronic condition and does not “get better” by itself. One way to tell is a MRI that will show where the nerves are being pinched.
Neither XRays nor MRI show stenosis, so I'm good there.

Old 04-21-2024, 12:24 PM

20,185 posts, read 13,613,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdandlong View Post
Suit yourself.

I've been training people for a quarter of a century and some of my work was in a corporate setting at a technology company (primarily desk workers and seniors). The vast majority had upper cross syndrome and low back problems. The biggest issues with most of them were tight psoas, inactive glutes, hip tightness, and trying to strengthen the core through spinal flexion (but there can be a myriad of causes)

If you want to read more on it, I'd suggest reading some of Stuart McGill's work. Egoscue also has a book called "pain free" that I would recommend which will have some exercises that would be suitable for you. Finally I'd suggest looking at Mike Boyle's chart on stable and mobile joints to give you a further understanding of my previous recommendation.

Ultimately your physical therapist will be able to look at your individual situation to know what is best for you.

Best of luck (I'm done with the conversation)
I appreciate your experience, particularly with workers such as myself. You seem a bit miffed ... no disrespect was intended, if any was taken. I am synthesizing a lot of information. I will certainly give your advice additional weight.

Thanks for the reading suggestions, they are helplful and I will definitely pull them down to my e-reader and bring myself up to speed.

Old 04-21-2024, 01:48 PM

6,741 posts, read 5,990,971 times
I have a lower back that flares up about every 2-3 years. When it does, it's debilitating. I've learned to manage it by daily dips in the jacuzzi at the gym, plus steam bath. I recommend it, especially the jacuzzi, which they keep at 105F (I wouldn't mind if it were hotter).

I've also started taking magnesium gummies, and an occasional hot bath with epsom salt (magnesium absorbs through the skin).

I've found I can operate elliptical at the gym without pain, during these episodes, so I tend to use that to keep up my cardio.

When it's bad, I'll use ibuprofen 2-3 times a day.

Other than that... I have nothing more to suggest. My back seems to be back to normal and I'm very careful about how I bend down, lift things, etc. Best of luck!

Old 04-21-2024, 02:00 PM

489 posts, read 418,148 times
I would suggest that before considering any kind of major thing (like surgery, for example), you first try the steps found in the book "Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain" by Pete Egoscue.

It not only worked for me, but also for every person I recommended it for. Yes, anecdotal, but don't trust me. Go read the Amazon reviews and decide for yourself.

Old 04-21-2024, 03:50 PM

2,243 posts, read 1,141,543 times
I've had lower back pain my entire life, caused by scoliosis. A few major incidents of sciatica that've kept me out of commission for several days, so I know how painful it can be.

I'm constantly mindful about how I'm moving/lifting/bending, one wrong twist could be very bad. I've found that doing Kegels (clenching the pelvic floor muscles) while I'm doing anything involving my lower back (stooping, squatting, standing up) really helps. I think the clenching helps with support overall.

Also make sure you have the right type of bed/mattress for your body and that when you sleep your spine is in a pretty straight line. I once slept on a crappy, lumpy futon pad for two nights and woke up with searing lower back pain. I'm a side sleeper and sometimes put a pillow between my knees to keep my spine/hips in a neutral position.

Old 04-21-2024, 04:07 PM

11,667 posts, read 12,781,480 times
Heat works better for me than cold. I've had injections and I go to a physical therapist. I am trying to strengthen my core, but I have many other types of pain in other areas besides the back so it's difficult.

Old 04-21-2024, 04:42 PM

7,826 posts, read 3,415,733 times
Years ago I was moving and bent down to pick up a box not realizing how close I was to a hardwood chair and hit my tailbone very hard. I went to the doctor (at Kaiser) and he did some acupuncture right in his office. It alleviated 85% of the pain and it slowly got better. At that time I had both Kaiser and BCBS (another story).

When all else fails try some acupuncture (if you find a terrific acupuncturist).

I have chronic low back pain for other reasons... I do take the maximum allowable amount of Extra Strength Tylenol every day (have done so since 2020ish when I pulled a muscle). I love as hot as I can stand Epsom Salt baths (especially after exercise). I did physical therapy for my broken kneecap and need to go back for my back (but, I have delayed). Getting enough quality sleep seems to impact everything.

Another tip. Take Tylenol (coffee is supposed to enhance the effects).

Old 04-21-2024, 06:51 PM

11,096 posts, read 7,013,487 times
Wile E., you're reminding me that I saw a wonderful acupuncturist for sciatica due to a car accident (one year later) who was a miracle worker. I'm grateful that the idea popped in my head. I think it's worth a try if one can afford it. I was pain free after 4 visits of 1 hr each (30 mins. front and back) and it never returned. That, after seeing an insurance paid chiropractor who only helped me while continuing treatment. It works for some, but not everyone. I highly recommend trying acupuncture for any kind of orthopedic pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness