Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 12:52 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
There's nothing for them to be collecting, other than my steps, heart rate and sleep data.
And your name, height, weight, geolocation, travel patterns, social network, menstrual cycle, and sexual activity. There was already a massive breach exposing personal records of 60 million users. Bit by bit, this all gets compiled and traded on the dark web. Nothing good is going to come of it.

Quote:
Why would you be worried about anyone seeing that? The bigger question is why on earth anyone else would be interested in seeing it. The answer is: They're not.
Sure they are. Google's business is collecting data for profit and you're literally giving it to them, and jeopardizing your privacy and sensitive information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2023, 01:22 PM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
I'm back ...

First I walked the seawall :
https://vancouversbestplaces.com/wp-...-in-Autumn.jpg

Then I circled the cruise ship terminal :
https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.a48e29a3...pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Old 12-24-2023, 05:08 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
And your name, height, weight, geolocation, travel patterns, social network, menstrual cycle, and sexual activity. There was already a massive breach exposing personal records of 60 million users. Bit by bit, this all gets compiled and traded on the dark web. Nothing good is going to come of it.

Sure they are. Google's business is collecting data for profit and you're literally giving it to them, and jeopardizing your privacy and sensitive information.
None of that stuff is available via fitbit unless you enter it. And if you do add data such as height and weight, how much water and food you've consumed on any particular day, etc. , you can delete or update this later.

Where you are: Well yeah, anyone with a smartphone is theoretically vulnerable to this.

Sexual activity: ? How does that work!

Regarding the Google breach: "..In the case of Google Fi’s breach, Google says the hackers accessed limited customer information, including phone numbers, account status, SIM card serial numbers and information related to details about customers’ mobile service plans, such as whether they have selected unlimited SMS or international roaming..."
https://techcrunch.com/2023/01/31/go...r-data-breach/

Old 12-24-2023, 06:20 PM

This thread took a disappointing turn, and it wasn't my intent to personally attack anyone in particular.

Here we have a perfectly simple physical activity - walking - that costs nothing, and that almost anybody can engage in as a healthful escape from the modern world, yet people willfully continue to bring it into every facet of our lives. Some of the earlier posts mentioned no electronics/earbuds, just enjoying being out in nature without distractions of technology.

If one is OCD to the point that they want to count their steps taken every day, digital pedometers have existed for a long time. Most cost less than $20 and aren't sending your daily health stats straight back to Google and beyond.

Old 12-24-2023, 06:55 PM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
If one is OCD to the point that they want to count their steps taken every day, digital pedometers have existed for a long time. Most cost less than $20.....
Heck, THAT's what I should have bought

I honestly don't need my vitals monitored...all I wanted was my steps calculated. If only you had mentioned that earlier - could have saved me a ton of $$$

Old 12-24-2023, 08:24 PM

^^I had one once, found at a yard sale for $1 or something. I bought it for fun and clipped it on my sock or sleeve for the day just to see how many steps I took.

I think counting steps only induces more anxiety, like stepping on a scale every day. I personally ignore all of those numbers and just go by how I feel and look, and how my clothes fit, when it comes to fitness.

Old 12-25-2023, 08:32 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,203,545 times
I love knowing my steps on the walk. I don't count them in real life though just when deliberately exercising. I have a super old pedometer that clips on to my pants. I average 17-21K per session.

Old 12-26-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
Heck, THAT's what I should have bought

I honestly don't need my vitals monitored...all I wanted was my steps calculated. If only you had mentioned that earlier - could have saved me a ton of $$$
Tons, like maybe 50-75 dollars? Sorry, it didn't occur to me. I think the heart rate monitor feature is quite useful. Not sure the pedometers have them. Edit: Also sleep data!

Last edited by Arktikos; 12-26-2023 at 08:31 AM..

Old 12-26-2023, 08:51 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I love knowing my steps on the walk. I don't count them in real life though just when deliberately exercising. I have a super old pedometer that clips on to my pants. I average 17-21K per session.
That's a long walk!

I watched an interview with Mark Sisson and he talked about his changing views on health and fitness. One was that he now favors fast walking over running.

Old 12-26-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That's a long walk!...
It sure is! Maybe ten miles, definitely over two hours worth. Or maybe the pedometer isn't accurate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness