Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 02:37 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,574,271 times

Advertisements

The Runner. He works out in some odd way - through about all machines we have in the gym. Does something on one, walks very fast across entire gym to another machine... then to another... eventually completes the circle. It's not that he is annoying, he's very respectful of others... more that there is no logic and system...

It's My Private Gym guy. Spreads his belongings over several machines far apart, to "claim them". Then vanishes from one to another and, if you try to use one, he somehow senses it and appears with "I have 2 more left on it"....
Dropper. That's Smith dead lifter. Lifts - drops with loud bang. Lifts - drops with loud bang..
Chalk Powder User. You come to gym Monday at 5am.... can't literally walk anywhere or touch half the weights... chalk is spread all over the place and weights are all smeared in it... Somehow, it's Sunday night aftermath
Racquetball bunch. Jovial club of elderly men with very LOUD mouths and never ending joking sessions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 03:45 PM

24,606 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Theres a female at my gym (she doesn't even look in shape) who has this massive obsession with deadlifts. So she just sit there and does these easy deadlift on the platform taking way too long, while laying down to sleep in between sets, then goes back to the deadlifts

I kid you not, this woman lays down on the floor between sets. I took a picture of it and I'll have to find it on my phone. It's the nastiest most bizarre thing I've seen at the gym.

If you're tired, sit down on the bench, don't lay down on the nasty ground like you're about to pass out.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:47 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
There's a group of annoying people at my gym who talk non-stop about their low carb and no-carb diets. It gets old.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:49 PM

1,279 posts, read 851,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
We've got a good thread on annoying gym habits already, but since this is about THE most annoying person here goes.....and I've got so many at my gym now this is a tough one.

Since there are several guys who do this in my smaller gym, I'll lump them all together. The guys who lay claim to an area by setting down their towel, cellphone, water, etc. on a bench and then proceed to leave that area to train on several other machines simultaneously. Since my gym is smaller, taking a flat or incline bench really puts a strain on the dumbbell area so doing this essentially eliminates 33% of that space. One guy in particular often does this with TWO benches, then becomes absolutely incensed when someone either asks him to move it or, heaven help them, moves his things on their own. He'll come back, stop in his tracks, throw up his arms and let out a giant "SIIIIIIIGH" with several dirty looks to that person. It is as if he is a 6 year old and someone took his favorite toy. It really is something to behold and I always get a chuckle out of it when I see him freaking out.
They go to my gym, too.

They kept hogging space by leaving their clothes, coffee cups, etc. to block off large parts of the gym (and specific treadmills) that they weren't using...so I just moved the stuff out of the way. They came over and screamed at me, and they called management over to tell me that I was out of line...but management told them that they were out of line and couldn't keep hogging parts of the gym. Now they leave all of their stuff in the locker room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
The Runner. He works out in some odd way - through about all machines we have in the gym. Does something on one, walks very fast across entire gym to another machine... then to another... eventually completes the circle. It's not that he is annoying, he's very respectful of others... more that there is no logic and system...
That's me, just trying to avoid having to work out next to the particularly annoying people. Sorry, I'll do better starting tomorrow.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:08 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,816,353 times
The people who complain about everyone at the gym and pass judgment on how out of shape they are. Seriously, it gets old.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:19 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,108 times
Another of those "if you don't behave exactly as I want, you are an idiot" thread.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:39 PM

1,279 posts, read 851,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Another of those "if you don't behave exactly as I want, you are an idiot" thread.
No, it's not that- I've already conceded that I do at least one thing that's annoying, and that I'll do better.

It's to see what people find annoying (and get some entertainment) in the hopes that I can learn what NOT to do at the gym. (And to see if anyone is more annoying than the lady at my gym who boxes.)

Old 11-12-2018, 05:59 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,855,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Not really. The 99% of the people at my gym are just normal. There for workout. Sometimes they want to use a machine that someone else is on, they simply ask how many sets/etc. I don't mind it at all. I know my deadlift sessions are sometimes long because I need to rest/stretch in between. If I notice someone even looking at that direction, I will ask. If they want the rack/etc, I will go outside and do it or finish and come back, no big deal.

Some don't say hi even after 8 yrs of making daily eye contact with me, that is fine too. Whatever reason they have, not everybody is supposed to like me.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:31 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,244,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Who is the most annoying person at your gym, and what does he or she do that's so annoying?

I thought that this might be an interesting thread.

In mine, it's a lady who boxes. My gym has a large cardio room (with bikes, treadmills and elliptical equipment), and then a large room that is totally empty, separated from the cardio room by a see-through wall and a door. Most people who do boxing go to the large empty room and close the door.

But one lady? She does boxing in the middle of the cardio room, even while the vacant room is right next door. She also dribbles a ball while waiting for her personal trainer and moans when she boxes. It's really distracting.

Love to hear about the most annoying person in YOUR gym!
For me it's the person who's always complaining about the lady doing the boxing in the cardio room.

SS

Old 11-12-2018, 10:21 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,065,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
For me it's the person who's always complaining about the lady doing the boxing in the cardio room. SS
Now that's funny right there.

Seriously, rather than "Stinky Lady" described above, I don't think I'd be bothered by anything else described here, any time you have a lot of different people performing activities together, you're bound to have a lot of different tolerances, and have to relax your own standards. I work out in a local gym that is run by our village, and like to go during off-hours when it simply isn't very crowded. But I don't mind people who bang weights, talk loudly, etc., I think the increased "presence" of people working hard helps raise the energy of the room, and actually helps to motivate me. Got to admit, though, I wouldn't have a lot of patience for a "machine hog" who reserves several pieces of equipment, I would personally try to "retrain" them such that they understand shared equipment needs to be just that - shared.

My gym has "wet wipes" so people can wipe down their equipment, maybe the person bothered by aerosol cleaners can suggest that to their gym's management.

With respect to "Boxing Lady", look up "Charlie Zellenof" in You Tube. Now THERE'S someone to complain about, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness