Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2021, 01:23 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,535,676 times

Advertisements

We lived on the coast and spent time in Eugene and are deciding whether to consider to Corvallis because an Oregon native told my daughter Corvallis was a "pit". IMO, that is hard to believe, however, we have been all over OR but never to Corvallis. Help me out here. Should I consider Corvallis as an equal to Eugene? Also looking in the suburbs of Portland.

The wind on the coast was way too much for us and Summer never arrived after 3 years we moved to CA and now I cannot stand the heat. Whew! Davis, CA is in the desert and it is hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 12:38 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Maybe you should come visit before making a life-changing commitment to relocate. And not rely on the off-hand comment some random person made to your daughter. Who was probably a Duck fan given the comment.

Corvallis is maybe 1/4th the size of Eugene but it isn't a "pit". It's a very popular and increasingly upscale place.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Ferndale, CA is pretty nice (and usually cool in the summer.)

If Corvallis is a choice... also look nearby to Philomath. (cooler)

McMinnville is nice too (if Corvallis is too big).

Seems you need to list (or decide) on your criteria.

If not Davis (but not so far away)... Chico (or better yet... Magalia) Cheap lots (wildfire damage). I've been looking at several for under $40k. Build a FireSafe home. (and flee early). Oregon has fires too.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:46 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Moving back to Oregon? So, you lived all of your life in Oregon and gave California a try and didn't like it? If you lived all of your life in Oregon and are just now moving back, how can you possibly not know what Corvallis is like?

No, Corvallis and Eugene are not alike.

Old 08-06-2021, 06:47 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,535,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Moving back to Oregon? So, you lived all of your life in Oregon and gave California a try and didn't like it? If you lived all of your life in Oregon and are just now moving back, how can you possibly not know what Corvallis is like?

No, Corvallis and Eugene are not alike.
I have lived all over the US and IMO CA is not sustainable because of the water or lack of it and the fires and the heat in the Davis area.

A lot of college towns are similar and Corvallis is not an exception. I really like Eugene but might choose Corvallis.

No longer in CA but in OR now.

Old 09-23-2021, 04:12 PM

6 posts, read 6,674 times
Question for the OP.

Why college towns? Work related?

Old 11-04-2021, 11:20 AM

83 posts, read 201,263 times
It would be best to make a list of your priorities for lifestyle and then research what each town has to offer. For example if you knit or sew, are there any decent yarn or fabric stores? Love to watch college sports? Watch some youtube videos of the teams. Into organic food? What type of supermarkets are there? Farmer's markets? All of Oregon is pretty much an outdoorsy person's dream; most places have an abundance of parks and trails.

And of course job opportunities; if you need to switch jobs after a couple of years, will you be able to?

Housing prices. All of PNW is experiencing an upswing in folks moving here so real estate, both rentals and purchase, are getting pricey.

Old 12-09-2021, 11:10 PM

298 posts, read 341,302 times
One of my friends from San Diego visited up here last summer, he and his wife stayed in Eugene but also visited Corvallis. They actually liked Corvallis better. Eugene is a larger city, criss-crossed by more highways. Corvallis is much more a small town feel. The population of Corvallis is only 60,000 but half of that is students.
Homes are NOT EASY to find in Corvallis. I searched for months and was disappointed in the housing stock, finally decided to buy new construction.
Prices right now are ~30% higher than they were before COVID.

Parts of Corvallis are run down... and there is crime. The Northwest is the nicest IMO. But the downtown is also very nice shopping district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area