Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 10:29 AM

37,205 posts, read 39,473,415 times

Advertisements

https://insideevs.com/news/716717/lu...r-mile-record/

That's a new record for a four door sedan, beating the previous record of 9.246 seconds set by a Tesla Model S Plaid. The Sapphire is much more expensive than the Tesla Model S Plaid though they are sort of in the same category of vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 12:26 PM

396 posts, read 113,982 times
Even the "normal" Lucids are silly fast. A friend recently bought an Air Grand Touring, and these are some of the things he says about it:

"A quick comment on initial "life with our first EV" -

My criteria for this car is it needed to be a good car first, EV second. What I mean by that is I apply my usual expectations to a car in terms of usability - I was not willing to sacrifice certain things just to say I could get an EV. It needed to be a great car AND a great EV and in my experience, only a few dedicated EVs pull this off - nearly all of them are from the new car startups (Lucid, Rivian, etc).

I had been watching Lucid's story unfold and the rave reviews this car was getting, and it was truly inspiring to see the level of thoughtful engineering and performance prioritization that went into this car. I had always wanted a sports sedan in the vein of the E39 BMW M5, and I can hand on my heart say this surpasses those expectations. Ride and handling is amazing, the steering is alive in my hands, the car is isolating but also involving. I made the decision in the process of test driving this car twice that I wanted to support Lucid and what they were trying to accomplish.

So far, the ownership has been easy. The tech works. All the screens are sharp, responsive, and everything is well thought out. This is a huge compliment - Icons are big and intuitive - you can navigate all the screens at a glance in traffic, which is something I will not be able to say about pretty much anything else with this kind of technology. I can flip on the heated seat, the massage, the wipers, and the headlamps without 3-4 glances and studying the screens. I can even flip the car driving aid settings on and off with a glance while I am driving....that is an amazing thing - most of the time, you need to physically stop the car and dig through menus.

Fit and finish is good, for the most part. The only complaints I have are some of the exterior panel gaps and finishes aren't up to Porsche standards, but if you are ascending from a lower tier of car you won't really notice or care...and frankly neither do I. Interior fit and finish is tight as can be - no creaks, squeaks, or rattles. If you are coming from a Tesla this will be a total revelation to you.

Performance deserves its own post, and I will follow up on that later.

EV range and EV challenges are not an issue in this car. Our use case is using it locally 20ish miles a day, longer trips on the weekends, and the occasional road trip. Lucid includes 3 years of Electrify America charging for free, but I charge with the standard EVSE using my 220-volt outlet in the garage and that is MORE than enough to charge the car. The car has a daily charge limit of 80% which gives me a real world range in this weather of 400 miles nearly exactly. In normal running around, we use 2-5% of that range. To give you an idea, the car was delivered to us with 90% SOC (it was charged to 100% for delivery) as it was driven up to our house from downtown Chicago. We then drove down to Old Orchard in Skokie, ran some more errands, and came home and we still had 85% SOC. I plugged it in and it would not charge because I had set the limit at 80%. So we had to drive it some more. Bottom line - all the whining and moaning I am reading in some of the other threads from anti-EV folks is simply is not an issue. Starting with 80% charge, running around 20-30 miles, and coming back you are only using 2-5% SOC, you plug it in to the wall outlet in your garage, it takes about 1 1/2 hours to recharge, and you're back in business.

I cannot speak to the charging network because I may realistically never use it unless I go out on a road trip, but from what I am seeing, there's plenty of chargers all along the routes I want to go. I am not concerned.

It is unlike any car I have ever driven or ridden in. The best way I can describe it is that it literally feels like a velvet-coated cast iron wall of power when you put your foot down, and it is 1:1 with the throttle movement - i.e., there's ZERO "ramp up" like you would expect in a turbo car. Twitch your ankle, instant response. Sneeze, and you will teleport into the next area code. It's drive-by-thinking. You see a gap in traffic, you want it, BAM, you own it. And with the regen braking set up you really never touch the brake. Ever. Someone starts creeping up next to me, twitch my right foot, merging guy is ancient history. And I am not talking about just a car length, either.

It is so far superior to an ICE car as to render the ICE car irrelevant. If you want to keep up with me in Sprint Mode, you literally need a fast-reflexes car like an exotic or a Bugatti Chiron. Something with that kind of reflex. Normal cars simply cannot keep up with 819 instant hp. It's hilarious.

And everyone I take out in the car and hit the accelerator starts laughing like a hyena. EVERY. ONE.

Stupid fun car. Anyone who says EVs are soulless and boring....basically hasn't driven an EV.

This car is HYSTERICALLY fast. Total giggle fest to drive hard. The acceleration is not it's only party piece but man, it never ever gets old.

Again, I keep referring to this, but it really says it all. I cannot imagine what a Sapphire must feel like."

Old 04-19-2024, 02:19 PM

^ Yea, when the Grand Touring is already this ridiculously fast, it seems odd that there's a trim that's supposed to be a lot faster and more powerful. It's cartoonishly fast.

Old 04-19-2024, 04:29 PM

8,351 posts, read 6,443,466 times
Is there a dealer nearby if something needs repair?
Even my lowly little bolt takes off instantly
Lifetime drag racing fan and for a reguler appearing car to get into the 8's requires huge slicks, is a car made for drag racing only with a NHRA certified frame, and a huge supercharged engine latest drag racing technology.

Old 04-19-2024, 04:53 PM

17,354 posts, read 22,099,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
https://insideevs.com/news/716717/lu...r-mile-record/

That's a new record for a four door sedan, beating the previous record of 9.246 seconds set by a Tesla Model S Plaid. The Sapphire is much more expensive than the Tesla Model S Plaid though they are sort of in the same category of vehicles.
Yep its fast and depreciates even faster!

Old 04-22-2024, 07:10 AM

396 posts, read 113,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You sure about that? I mean, luxury cars ALWAYS depreciate very fast, but the EV entries tend to depreciate less fast than other luxury cars.

I mean look how fast Astons, Bentleys, Rolls, even top Mercedes and BMWs depreciate.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:37 AM

10,900 posts, read 4,566,198 times
In the real world, 9 seconds is one of those magic numbers. The car has to have all sorts of new safety equipment (which this does not have) to be allowed on the track, and the driver has to have a special license (which these drivers do not) to be allowed on the track.

But we are allowing this on the road. populated by other people. Is this the wisest choice we can make here?

Old 04-22-2024, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
If you're familiar with the premium vehicle market, then you would know that the only way premium vehicles don't depreciate rapidly regardless of powertrain type, is generally if they're super limited editions that have a lot of attributes that are not available in other vehicles. I do think the Sapphire is an interesting vehicle as a luxury four door sedan that has incredible power output, but Lucid is not making this a very limited edition that you trust will not run additional editions (it's not limited edition at all) and hasn't done a lot in making this so distinctive from the Lucid Air Grand Touring that its appearance is that immediately distinguishable.

The original Tesla Roadster fits into this as few of them were made and they are not making them anymore. The Roadster might come back, but in a very different form so it doesn't compete or substitute for the original one. So with that, the first run of the Tesla Roadster is now much more expensive than its original price despite not being all that old.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-22-2024 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-23-2024, 05:02 PM

19,060 posts, read 13,989,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
In the real world, 9 seconds is one of those magic numbers. The car has to have all sorts of new safety equipment (which this does not have) to be allowed on the track, and the driver has to have a special license (which these drivers do not) to be allowed on the track.

But we are allowing this on the road. populated by other people. Is this the wisest choice we can make here?
With the leaps and bounds electric car technology is currently experiencing, I'm sure something will have to give eventually. I agree, we really can't have insane rocket ships on the roads.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-24-2024, 06:22 AM

10,900 posts, read 4,566,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
With the leaps and bounds electric car technology is currently experiencing, I'm sure something will have to give eventually. I agree, we really can't have insane rocket ships on the roads.

My stance on this is the same since day 1: if the change in technology is a natural progression - and it may be until they perfect the gravity drive - and if the impetus is 'climate change' - - then they should be forced to make their case with an electric car that replaces its fueled counterpart. and no more.

If you scan the automotive posts here and everywhere else, no one, and I mean NO ONE is EVER accusing the populace of knowing how to drive. In fact, quite the opposite.

So we remedy this with speed?

Its not that it would be the natural state. Its when the immature driver (which ranges from 16-70) decides they need to show off in front of girls, (or other guys they deem inferior solely based on vehicle choice), or get revenge on someone who is not speeding enough. <---most common no?

We have enabled the outcomes to be far far worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles