Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 10:28 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebug55 View Post
Do you know anything about the charter schools in the area? Great Schools has listed some pretty high like Littleton Academy, Cherry Creek Charter, and Platte River Charter.
I honestly don't know anything about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 12:22 PM

405 posts, read 448,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebug55 View Post
Do you know anything about the charter schools in the area? Great Schools has listed some pretty high like Littleton Academy, Cherry Creek Charter, and Platte River Charter.
While I also don't know anything about these specific charters, here are a few of things to look into if you're considering them:

- extra curriculars, sports in particular -- many charters offer limited ECs and sports. That may not matter to you, but it's something to ask about. My son left a charter because it didn't have his sport, and had no plans to add it.

- after school care -- ditto.

- school bus transportation -- ditto

- teacher/admin turnover: in many charters teachers are really underpaid. Some by as much as 30% less than their counterparts in the public schools. Because of that, and because there's usually lots of "political" hubub in schools in general, the turnover among both teachers and administrators can be very high. Which doesn't make for a very stable school environment

- student turnover. Many kids/parents decide that whatever the charter school's orientation is, it isn't necessarily any better than the public. Losing friends can be unsettling to students.

Old 04-07-2024, 09:41 AM

7 posts, read 3,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
While I also don't know anything about these specific charters, here are a few of things to look into if you're considering them:

- extra curriculars, sports in particular -- many charters offer limited ECs and sports. That may not matter to you, but it's something to ask about. My son left a charter because it didn't have his sport, and had no plans to add it.

- after school care -- ditto.

- school bus transportation -- ditto

- teacher/admin turnover: in many charters teachers are really underpaid. Some by as much as 30% less than their counterparts in the public schools. Because of that, and because there's usually lots of "political" hubub in schools in general, the turnover among both teachers and administrators can be very high. Which doesn't make for a very stable school environment

- student turnover. Many kids/parents decide that whatever the charter school's orientation is, it isn't necessarily any better than the public. Losing friends can be unsettling to students.
Yes, thank you for bringing all of these things up vunderbar. I knew it about the sports and extracurricular activities, but not the other points you brought up, so I'll take all of that into consideration if looking at a charter school again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver