Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 07:46 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
But a doctor prescribes a drug that has a 98% chance of working and only a 2% risk of a side effect and an unreasonably anxious & naïve patient runs away scared. Go figure. ???
Yes, but if you or a loved one has ever been the 2% outlier, you do try to avoid even that small risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 09:15 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Yes, but if you or a loved one has ever been the 2% outlier, you do try to avoid even that small risk.
You must consider the risk of the condition being treated, though. If there is a greater than 2% risk from the disease, the benefit to risk ratio shifts in favor of the drug.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You must consider the risk of the condition being treated, though. If there is a greater than 2% risk from the disease, the benefit to risk ratio shifts in favor of the drug.
Or evaluate other treatments or lifestyle changes.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Or evaluate other treatments or lifestyle changes.
"Lifestyle changes", the Holy Grail of patient blaming. Doesn't work for everyone.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:35 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
"Lifestyle changes", the Holy Grail of patient blaming. Doesn't work for everyone.
Kara wasn’t “patient blaming”. Sometimes medication is the best bet, sometimes lifestyle changes are the best bet. Many people are capable of evaluating their options and working to find what works and what does not work for them.

In my case, with my daughter, lifestyle changes proved to be very effective in managing her chronic migraines. Other people might needs medication. We’re not all clones of one another and what works for some won’t work for others. It’s ok to approach health using various methods.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:44 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Medical Mistakes? My daughter and I went to a clinic for a physical. Mine was for new employment. Daughter's was for Sports Physical. We both had to give a urine sample.

I was long past menopause, but my daughter just finished her period some days before. They said my sample showed traces of blood in the urine and said I needed more testing to see what was wrong. I threw a fit. My test for work was only supposed to be for drug testing.

After all my protests, the clinic asked me for another sample, which came back negative for any blood. So what happened? Our samples were labeled incorrectly. My daughter's was labeled as mine. There was nothing wrong with her having traces of blood in her urine after her period.

Question, Question, Question!

Old 09-03-2018, 08:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Kara wasn’t “patient blaming”. Sometimes medication is the best bet, sometimes lifestyle changes are the best bet. Many people are capable of evaluating their options and working to find what works and what does not work for them.

In my case, with my daughter, lifestyle changes proved to be very effective in managing her chronic migraines. Other people might needs medication. We’re not all clones of one another and what works for some won’t work for others. It’s ok to approach health using various methods.
I have done cholesterol counseling. I have seen people struggle mightily to get their cholesterol numbers down without meds, usually with minimal, if any, success. They go on a cholesterol drug and bingo! Cholesterol drops like a stone. Of course, you are supposed to continue the dietary changes.

My friend and I walk together most mornings. Her HDL is perfect, mine is . . . not. My diet is probably better, if anything.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:46 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I have done cholesterol counseling. I have seen people struggle mightily to get their cholesterol numbers down without meds, usually with minimal, if any, success. They go on a cholesterol drug and bingo! Cholesterol drops like a stone. Of course, you are supposed to continue the dietary changes.

My friend and I walk together most mornings. Her HDL is perfect, mine is . . . not. My diet is probably better, if anything.
We’re not just talking about cholesterol and even if we were, there are many people who have been successfull lowering their cholesterol without meds. I don’t know why this would have to be an either or scenario. In some instances, drugs work better, in others instances, lifestyle changes. It’s not a competition.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post

Exactly. I admit, we are probably more vigilant in looking for the cause/trigger than others may be. It's a different way of thinking about your health. Our doctor is very happy that we never need to see him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals