Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 11:09 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I was a heavy smoker for over 30 years and I quit cold turkey. No patches, no e-cigs, nothing. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done but I am so glad I quit. The only thing to do is throw the cigarettes away and don't ever pick up another one.

Its been 8 years now and I will never pick up another cigarette. It is wonderful to go weeks, months and not even think about cigarettes! No coughing, no running to the store just in case you might run out, etc.

If I can do it - anyone can.
Thats basically the way i went although i did lean on Nicorette lozenges for the first 6 months. now 7 years since my last cigarette.

The only way to give up smoking is to stop smoking, theres no easy way or gradual way to do it you just have to smoke your last cigarette and be motivated enough to never smoke another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 02:45 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,277,583 times
I did it through Chantix. I couldn't get through the entire program but it helped me with the initial stop. But, I made it. It has been about 8 years now.

Cat

Old 05-22-2015, 07:27 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,752 times
I agree, at least for me its quite a turnoff. Its great you understand its not good foor many reasons and trying to quit! Some very good suggestions here, you can stop and dont give up!

Old 05-22-2015, 11:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
I'd like to apologize to all the people over the years that i subjected to the disgusting stench of my tobacco addiction., i wonder how many opportunities were lost because of it.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:01 AM

273 posts, read 211,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd like to apologize to all the people over the years that i subjected to the disgusting stench of my tobacco addiction., i wonder how many opportunities were lost because of it.
Interesting though jambo101. I smoked many years ago and gave up cold turkey. Was tough but got through it and can't beat any urges for it today. But I never really thought about the others that I affected until just now when I read your post. I guess I always thought is was a problem that I only subjected myself to but that is obviously not true. I did subject others to second hand smoke (including those close to me) and to the stench of the smoke and the irritation of it.

Another one of those selfish things I did that I didn't see how it affected others.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:27 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Hold on, before I begin, let me light one up.

Ok, I am on my last packet of cigarettes. Marlboro Reds, if you're interested.

I've been smoking for 6 months, around. How I got started was pretty stupid...I'm not a stranger to the wacky stuff. Anyway, blunts change it a bit, so I first started with nicotine like that.

I stopped the wacky, it made me wacky, but I'd smoke both for the affect.

And, I kept on with the nicotine.

I smoke because of stress. When feeling agitated, I can get away and do the deed. But I can't do it any longer.

I don't like the way it ages me.

Obviously it's not healthy.

I can't afford it.

And, also, girls.

So, no longer.

I've attempted once in the past. I got snappy. Angry. Didn't like that, so I regressed.

I'm hoping this'll be a nice platform from which I can snap.

I can't continue smoking. So, last 4 cigs, and I'm done for good.

I need suggestions on how I can "get away" without the cigs. Also, the bonding that occurs among smokers. In everyday life...
In my late teens/early 20's, I was a 1 pack/day smoker. One day, a buddy of mine invited me to jog with him. After a 20 minute jog I could barely breath. This was a wake up call. I continued jogging with and without my buddy under the assumption that my lung capacity would eventually increase. But here's what happened: Each time I ended a round of jogging, I noticed it took longer for my cigarette craving to kick in. I'd come to the end of a jog and 3 hours would pass before I wanted a smoke. A few weeks later, 6 hours had passed before wanting a smoke, and on, and on. By the time I reached 8 hours, I knew I had beaten my smoking habit, and I did!

Jogging helped me kick a nicotine addiction! Bet it will help you too!

Old 12-12-2017, 08:19 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Try e cigs. I can't recommend them enough.
My sister uses E-cigs...I think she's getting more nicotine now than she ever did smoking cigarettes. Sure she' cut down on a HUGE host of chemicals, but she's still addicted to the nicotine...even more than ever as now she puffs away in the house all the time, whereas before she would go outside to indulge, so it was much less.
Best way to quit (in my opinion) is cold turkey.
Good luck to anyone who's trying to quit....no matter what method you use, I hope it works for you.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:57 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,694,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I did it through Chantix. I couldn't get through the entire program but it helped me with the initial stop. But, I made it. It has been about 8 years now.

Cat
After smoking for 40 years and trying to quit at least 20 times I finally made it with the help of Chantix.

Nobody was more surprised then me when the Chantix worked.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:24 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times
I'm a former smoker. I tried to quit gradually and it didn't work at all for me. I just woke up one day, threw my remaining cigarettes and ashtrays away and quit cold turkey. I never looked back. I know it sounds overly simplistic, but I just told myself that smoking was not an option any more. I knew withdrawal wouldn't kill me so I told myself to suck it up.

I also avoided smoking friends until I felt strong enough to be around them. I also referred to myself as a non-smoker. That also helped.

You will be amazed at what you gain when you lose the cigarettes. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:41 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,574,271 times
I smoked for 17 yrs. Mostly casually but could go through a pack in 2 days.
I tried quitting several times, never lasted.
This is what worked for me.
I had my varicos veins done and spent few days in a hospital. Back in ol country, rooms always had several patients. My neighbor to the right was a mid age man with below the knee amputation left side. I still see him in my head. Leg is wrapped in dressing oozing with puss. Doctor shows up and looks at the residuum. It's all inflamed, nasty looking. Doc shakes head and says - well, gangrene is starting. We will have to go above the knee. Patient utters something, doc says what docs say, before leaving -doc looks into patient eyes and says - Hey, and no smoking. Patient Swares that he quit, that he's ON IT. By the time doc stepped out and door shut close, guy gets under the blanket, pulls a sig and starts smoking.
I look at him aghast and say - are you nuts? What are you doing? I can't stop, I can't stop!! utters fella.
5 minutes down the road, his wife shows up. BEAUTIFUL woman. He passes doctor's "news" onto her, she burts into tears.

That DID IT for me. Did BAD. Been smoke free since 1986.
Oh, and btw. I also spent 3 months as morgue assistant. Basically, opening dead bodies for pathologist to look at internal organs. You should SEE what's inside chain smoker lungs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals