Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2023, 08:21 AM

8 posts, read 5,417 times

Advertisements

Im now @ 66 yrs.; been working out w/ a universal gym and elliptical machine for years. my lower back has recently been in pain and spending much time trying to get an cardio and fitness training program, but usually just winging it, figuring something is better than nothing. The leg press and other leg exercises on the universal caused all my back issues. I'm not overweight, but still slightly out of shape, but overall health is good. I'm being careful on diet because of plaque in arteries is high. I also been working on getting rid of that stubborn belly fat. I've recently found on You Tube; fit over 50 W/ mark Mcilyar programs, and find this very helpfull. slightly hard in the beginning, but hopefully will be something I can stick to. I'm buying a rubber floor mat and Adjustable dumbbells for many exercises. I've found the Core Fitness or Nuobell adjustable dumbbells to be the easiest to use. The Core only only goes up to 50 lbs; and the Nuobell 80 lbs. The nuobells seems better quality, but even their 50 lb weights are near double the price to the Core; but may not last as long. Purchasing replacement handles may be easier to access w/ the cores. Would the 50 lb. max weights be enough for most fitness programs or exercises ? Seems the 80 lb. DB's is better for dead lifts and Squats, but @ 66 yrs, would I ever reach that level ?

Please reply;

Thank You...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2023, 11:05 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Richman View Post
Im now @ 66 yrs.; been working out w/ a universal gym and elliptical machine for years. my lower back has recently been in pain and spending much time trying to get an cardio and fitness training program, but usually just winging it, figuring something is better than nothing. The leg press and other leg exercises on the universal caused all my back issues. I'm not overweight, but still slightly out of shape, but overall health is good. I'm being careful on diet because of plaque in arteries is high. I also been working on getting rid of that stubborn belly fat. I've recently found on You Tube; fit over 50 W/ mark Mcilyar programs, and find this very helpfull. slightly hard in the beginning, but hopefully will be something I can stick to. I'm buying a rubber floor mat and Adjustable dumbbells for many exercises. I've found the Core Fitness or Nuobell adjustable dumbbells to be the easiest to use. The Core only only goes up to 50 lbs; and the Nuobell 80 lbs. The nuobells seems better quality, but even their 50 lb weights are near double the price to the Core; but may not last as long. Purchasing replacement handles may be easier to access w/ the cores. Would the 50 lb. max weights be enough for most fitness programs or exercises ? Seems the 80 lb. DB's is better for dead lifts and Squats, but @ 66 yrs, would I ever reach that level ?

Please reply;

Thank You...
First, don't let your age limit your strength gains. If you're in good health, age shouldn't be a factor in becoming stronger. I'm 69 and increasing in strength in all my lifts.

If you're sure it's the universal gym and elliptical machine that are causing your back pain then hopefully you've stopped using them.

I would say, yes, 50lb adjustable DB's are enough for general fitness training if that's all your interested in doing. Doing goblet squats with 50lbs would replace the leg press that you've been doing on the universal gym.

Have you considered, and are you able to join a gym in your area? A good gym would provide you with more variety in equipment to use.

And don't overlook the health benefits of simple walking. Over time, and in conjunction with watching what you eat, it will take care of that belly fat.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:06 AM

Is there any chance I'd out perform the 50 lb. adjustable DB weights and possible buy the 80 lb weights for any reason ? I know that's a hard question now. Yea; It's quite a price jump, but I'd do it only once.

Thank You for reply ...

Old 03-12-2023, 09:56 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Richman View Post
Is there any chance I'd out perform the 50 lb. adjustable DB weights and possible buy the 80 lb weights for any reason ? I know that's a hard question now. Yea; It's quite a price jump, but I'd do it only once.

Thank You for reply ...
Of course you can outperform 50lb DB's if you train consistently and don't have injuries that would hinder you. The 60's is not too old to gain both strength and muscle. I'm 69 and know from personal experience that with training you can keep getting stronger in your 60's. And beyond.

If you ask a moderator to move your thread to the main Exercise and Fitness forum you might get more replies. I'm not sure how many people come into this part of the forum. Just a suggestion.

Old 03-12-2023, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Of course you can outperform 50lb DB's if you train consistently and don't have injuries that would hinder you. The 60's is not too old to gain both strength and muscle. I'm 69 and know from personal experience that with training you can keep getting stronger in your 60's. And beyond.

If you ask a moderator to move your thread to the main Exercise and Fitness forum you might get more replies. I'm not sure how many people come into this part of the forum. Just a suggestion.
I found the exercise and fitness forum, and moved message, but thank you for info. All is welcome...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals