Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2021, 07:16 PM

38 posts, read 31,833 times

Advertisements

Quick Intro, Sport has been my life from a very young age, competing at an elite level in multiple sports, I also have a long list of coaching and exercise qualifications. However as we age the body begins to fail, especially if it has taken a beating in elite sport, so at age 47, I am back studying again at Uni, slowly working towards becoming an exercise physiologist.

In this journal I will post my own training (when I remember), interesting bits of exercise science and possibly some exercise program examples of those I coach.

If you have any exercise questions for me, post them here and I will take a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 01:59 PM

433 posts, read 532,892 times
Sounds interesting--look forward to your journey.
I recently read Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" in which he talks about the 10,000 hour "rule." I also ran across reference to "the Sports Gene" by Davod Epstein. Have you read the latter book and what were your thoughts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sports_Gene

Thank you.

Old 04-04-2021, 04:28 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,512,816 times
I assume that one thing an exercise physiologist does is develop workout routines. What I have found is a lack of routines for those of us over 70 who lift weights. I just started back at the gym after a year in isolation. I am lifting only 1/2 to 1/3 of the amount of weight I use to - I am simply not motived to lift at home with the limited equipment I have. I am reducing it to four days a week now instead of five. (I might be the exception in that I also lost weight during my isolation.)

Old 04-04-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bound2TN View Post
Sounds interesting--look forward to your journey.
I recently read Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" in which he talks about the 10,000 hour "rule." I also ran across reference to "the Sports Gene" by Davod Epstein. Have you read the latter book and what were your thoughts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sports_Gene

Thank you.
I have not read this one, but will take a look.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
I assume that one thing an exercise physiologist does is develop workout routines. What I have found is a lack of routines for those of us over 70 who lift weights. I just started back at the gym after a year in isolation. I am lifting only 1/2 to 1/3 of the amount of weight I use to - I am simply not motived to lift at home with the limited equipment I have. I am reducing it to four days a week now instead of five. (I might be the exception in that I also lost weight during my isolation.)
Yes, programming is a big part of it. Most people are familiar with physiotherapists (physical therapists) who help with physical injuries, an exercise physiologist helps people with other health conditions like heart disease, diabetes, spinal problems etc. Along with learning to apply exercise science in an elite sport setting. The course coordinator at uni does a lot of research studies for training those who are over 60 both lifting and cardio.

One of my subjects this semester is exercise prescription and programming 2, mostly looking at body and movement assessments to program corrective exercises for both preventing injury in the general population and elite sport and to correct movement patterns that are preventing people from doing specific exercises like squat correctly. All this along with looking at all the other aspects of programming you would expect.

as for scope of practice an athlete would be referred back to a doctor or physio of they have actual pain.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:51 PM

Yesterday I spent time running my husband through a mobility/stability screen, at 54 he has just taken up squash as a new sport, the results will be used to write a program for him which includes corrective exercises for his weak areas, in particular core stability. These will be combined with exercises to strengthen areas important for the sport.

No planned exercise for myself but did do some straight arm pushdowns because my 3 year old likes riding the plates up and down lol

Todays tasks, get a new mouse for my computer bloody thing keeps double clicking, do an online exam, write 2 programs.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:59 PM

https://youtu.be/SeoZIfck3tk

Advanced core training tutorial

Old 04-10-2021, 08:16 AM

Been a crap few days, down with a gastro bug, aiming to do a light gym session tomorrow.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:31 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusylver View Post
Quick Intro, Sport has been my life from a very young age, competing at an elite level in multiple sports, I also have a long list of coaching and exercise qualifications. However as we age the body begins to fail, especially if it has taken a beating in elite sport, so at age 47, I am back studying again at Uni, slowly working towards becoming an exercise physiologist.

In this journal I will post my own training (when I remember), interesting bits of exercise science and possibly some exercise program examples of those I coach.

If you have any exercise questions for me, post them here and I will take a look.
No real question, but I did want to encourage you.
I am 75. In January I had bypass surgery, which went very well. It took us all by surprise, as I have always been in pretty good shape and have a life long history of exercise. No history of high cholesterol or high blood pressure. Never smoked. Recovery went well, and doctors encouraged me to take advantage of cardio-rehab, offered at the hospital, so I signed up.

The exercise physiologists and physical therapists at the hospital are an immense help! I will exercise under their tutelage for 12 weeks and then be turned loose to continue on my own. I am stretching properly, exercising properly, eating properly and have every expectation of achieving my goal of remaining active through my 80's. They weigh me and take my blood pressure before exercise, monitor me via wireless EKG while I exercise and take my blood pressure again when I have cooled down.

Good luck to you!

Old 04-24-2021, 09:38 PM

It has been a hectic few weeks with assessments, tutorials have been leaving me a little sore, lots of intensity lol

Lot of in depth ways to periodise for specific populations from rehab clients through to general pop and elite athlete across different sports.

remember progressive overload does not mean always adding weight.

Quote:
The exercise physiologists and physical therapists at the hospital are an immense help! I will exercise under their tutelage for 12 weeks and then be turned loose to continue on my own. I am stretching properly, exercising properly, eating properly and have every expectation of achieving my goal of remaining active through my 80's. They weigh me and take my blood pressure before exercise, monitor me via wireless EKG while I exercise and take my blood pressure again when I have cooled down.
Unless you have spent time with one, most people think an exercise physiologist in nothing more than an over qualified personal trainer, without realising how much science is needed to train someone with a major health condition. Good luck with your rehab
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals