Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2023, 07:33 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This is coming from a place of ignorance (somewhat), but why not train like a professional athlete? Obviously, I understand the average person can't train 3+ hours per day for 6 days per week, but the average person can have 3-4 workouts per week consisting of the following:

-1 hour of moderate to heavy weightlifting
-1 hour of basketball

I feel like it would be impossible not to lean out to some degree with this regimen. If you can't find pick up basketball games, I'd recommend running suicides. But you have to really sprint if you're going to do them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPL487ToJt8
The average person who trains 3-4 times per week, could easily offset that by their diet throughout the week. And that's what often happens. Not saying don't exercise. You can try to add workouts and see if it helps. If it's not helping, you need to monitor and cut calories.

I know people who exercise hard 6 days a week and still have bellies. Because they eat a lot of food throughout the week. In fact, they often reward themselves after their workouts with beer and fried foods thinking they can eat anything just because they sweated a lot in the gym for 1-2 hours. Your body is an amazing machine, it really is great at capturing every last calorie from food and storing it, and efficiently burning it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 08:18 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
People (especially men) store weight on our bellies, but if you get your body fat to below 20 (maybe 15%) your belly will disappear. Guaranteed.
...and I would look cadaverous everywhere else, as my belly is the only place I'm fat. When you have DISPROPORTIONATE fat in one area, liposuction is the only solution I know of.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
...and I would look cadaverous everywhere else, as my belly is the only place I'm fat. When you have DISPROPORTIONATE fat in one area, liposuction is the only solution I know of.
Your body will take fat from where it has fat. If you have fat nowhere else than your belly, it will take from your belly.

Something tells me though, you have more fat on the rest of your body than you realize. People who are skinny fat, have very little muscle mass (lower than average) so dimensions of say arms and legs are not large, but the tissue is more fat than average.

Have you got your body fat % measured via calipers?

I can tell you something, as I have dieted down to around 7% body fat, when I get down to that body fat% you can see every muscle fiber and so many veins in my body. You can see in my shoulders for example literally every fiber, that it's kind of creepy. Can you see your muscle fibers on your shoulders? Can you see your lat insertions? Can you see your pectoral muscle insertions on your sternum and each individual muscle fiber?

Because, if you cannot, you still have body fat on those parts of the body that you can lose.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:58 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Sigh! I'm not saying I have NO body fat elsewhere. I'm saying I'm "okay" elsewhere and, in my experience, I lose it first from my face (and at my age, that would just make me look older), boobs, and butt and my tummy last. So no, I don't wish to diet/train down to the point where I lose my belly, because then I'd be far too thin elsewhere...as I said.

Old 08-01-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Sigh! I'm not saying I have NO body fat elsewhere. I'm saying I'm "okay" elsewhere and, in my experience, I lose it first from my face (and at my age, that would just make me look older), boobs, and butt and my tummy last. So no, I don't wish to diet/train down to the point where I lose my belly, because then I'd be far too thin elsewhere...as I said.
I would suggest some resistance training. If you add some muscle throughout your body, you won't look emanciated if you get down to a normal body fat %, which for a woman (you mentioned boobs) is less than 30% (for men it's below 20%).

Liposuction is such a dramatic solution to a very trivial problem.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:06 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
The average person who trains 3-4 times per week, could easily offset that by their diet throughout the week. And that's what often happens. Not saying don't exercise. You can try to add workouts and see if it helps. If it's not helping, you need to monitor and cut calories.

I know people who exercise hard 6 days a week and still have bellies. Because they eat a lot of food throughout the week. In fact, they often reward themselves after their workouts with beer and fried foods thinking they can eat anything just because they sweated a lot in the gym for 1-2 hours. Your body is an amazing machine, it really is great at capturing every last calorie from food and storing it, and efficiently burning it.
I don't disagree there. But I have also heard the "my weight won't go away no matter what I do!" complaints before and I assume these people have already taken steps to correct their diet. You're probably right about something being off about their diet, but you can't follow people around 24 hours per day and watch everything they put in their mouths, so you have to take their words at face value. You can, however, monitor the intensity of someone's workouts multiple days per week.

One problem is that every individual has their own idea of "hard" or "intense" and the level of effort a lot of people are putting in is not commensurate with the results they desire.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:27 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytN366VCGls

Old 09-18-2023, 10:01 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Your body will take fat from where it has fat. If you have fat nowhere else than your belly, it will take from your belly.

Something tells me though, you have more fat on the rest of your body than you realize. People who are skinny fat, have very little muscle mass (lower than average) so dimensions of say arms and legs are not large, but the tissue is more fat than average.

Have you got your body fat % measured via calipers?

I can tell you something, as I have dieted down to around 7% body fat, when I get down to that body fat% you can see every muscle fiber and so many veins in my body. You can see in my shoulders for example literally every fiber, that it's kind of creepy. Can you see your muscle fibers on your shoulders? Can you see your lat insertions? Can you see your pectoral muscle insertions on your sternum and each individual muscle fiber?

Because, if you cannot, you still have body fat on those parts of the body that you can lose.
Belly fat isn't all usable body fat. Often it contains toxins that are stored there and difficult to digest until the body has the resources to get rid of it. You can run 5 miles a day and the belly fat will remain, it's called stubborn body fat for good reason.

Drink plenty of water, apple cider vinegar, veggies that help improve liver health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals