Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2022, 12:38 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times

Advertisements

A brief search turned up bikes costing over a thousand dollars. I’m looking for a traditional cruiser upright bicycle for around town. I live in a small town with plenty of small shops and restaurants as well as neighborhoods. Rear gears only (1-7). Good with either hand or pedal brakes. Seat comfort a must because of bumpy roads. Big box stores have similar bikes for $75-$125 but all I’ve seen are made in China. It can be made in the USA, a European country, or an Asian/Pacific country that isn’t China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2022, 10:53 AM

2,478 posts, read 2,698,410 times
Bikes have become expensive even in the low end cruiser category. I suggest looking at used bikes, anything new and good will cost you.
Many bikes are also made in Taiwan if that fits your acceptance range. A quick Google search will bring up the brands.
There are some quality Japanese brands too, I had an old Bridgestone and it was a great bike.
You can find a lot of old Chicago built Schwinns around. Single speeds, 3 speeds. You can pick those up for a couple hundred bucks. I had an old Schwinn Typhoon, a paperboy style bike, coaster brakes, balloon tires. I paid $150 for it. Put in new tubes and rode it for a few years as a townie. They are built like tanks.

Old 03-21-2022, 12:59 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Bikes have become expensive even in the low end cruiser category. I suggest looking at used bikes, anything new and good will cost you.
Agree. Go to sporting good stores or bike shops and check For Sale bulletin boards. Many folks buy bikes and decide they don't like them, they lose interest, or upgrade fairly fast to something that suits then better. You can find lots of great deals on gently used bikes. I bought my semi-recumbent bike (new would cost around $1800) for at least a third of that from a defunct cycling tour company. Other than a few minor paint dings it was fine.

Old 03-21-2022, 01:07 PM

8,415 posts, read 7,412,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
A brief search turned up bikes costing over a thousand dollars. I’m looking for a traditional cruiser upright bicycle for around town. I live in a small town with plenty of small shops and restaurants as well as neighborhoods. Rear gears only (1-7). Good with either hand or pedal brakes. Seat comfort a must because of bumpy roads. Big box stores have similar bikes for $75-$125 but all I’ve seen are made in China. It can be made in the USA, a European country, or an Asian/Pacific country that isn’t China.
Nobody makes a bike in the USA for $125. (This is where you say...Duh!)

New bikes that have their frames made in the USA will necessarily have their components from Japan, Taiwan, or China. Such bikes, fitted out with a rear gear cassette and shifter, start at $1000. If you go this route, you'll need to conduct your own research into where the bikes are made.

If you're seeking to purchase a bike that's not made in China and that's less than a grand in price, look on Craig's List. Or head out to a local bike shop, see if they can source what you're looking for in a used bike. If they can't, they probably know someone who can.

I's suggest you look for a nice old Schwinn Collegiate (made in USA) or a Raleigh (made in UK). If you come across a Miyata (made in Japan) that meets your parameters - buy it; I've always had a warm fuzzy memory for the one Miyata that I owned.

Old 03-21-2022, 01:28 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Play It Again Sports seems to have a large selection at the one I pass regularly. I agree with other posters that it is best to look for a used bike, as older bikes are less likely to have been made in China.

Old 03-21-2022, 05:22 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
OP, do you live near any college towns? A google map search for used bicycle stores is a good way to find a bike shop that sells a variety of previously owned bikes for reasonable prices (compared to new bikes). College towns usually have a big number of people that ride a cruiser type bike around campus that has balloon tires (good on bumpy streets) and upright handlebars - not racing bikes. As a bonus many have fenders (to keep water and dirt off you & the bike), and a rack or basket to carry stuff with from errands.

The new bikes sold for less than $300 at big box stores usually have poor quality components. Those would be my last choice. In contrast, you can often find excellent quality used bikes at a good used bike store for around $300.

The saddle on the bike can easily be changed out for something wider or more comfortable after you find the right bike. Don't let that be something that stops you from buying an otherwise good bike for your purposes.

Old 03-21-2022, 05:52 PM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
Raleigh LTD-3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling