Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 04:20 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,005,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by contador View Post
"Tampering with evidence"
Is that legalese for disposing a body?
It could be. Very sad if true. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 09:11 PM

21,634 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contador View Post
"Tampering with evidence"
Is that legalese for disposing a body?
It was likely a minor charge just so they can revoke his passport and prevent him from fleeing. He has strong connections to Greece.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:18 PM

717 posts, read 453,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You can’t just throw together a warrant without cause or reason to believe evidence exists. It took many hours of interviews and piecing things together. The case has to be built, and properly. Searching someone’s personal space isn’t and shouldn’t be taken lightly.
No but I feel like there was enough circumstantial evidence, such as these facts:

- Past court records show the husband was abusive towards spouse

- There was cases of restraining orders

- the kids are under an armed guard in NY and the timing of the disappearance of Jennifer Dulos was clear as the kids were in school

- Husband remained low key since this disappearance and there’s not been an emotional cry normal of a lost spouse

-Who else would be involved here than the prime divorce partner? He could get on a flight to Greece before being detained

My guess is there’s lots of $$$ in this case and this means there could be some mobbery villains here, Al Capone types, the old Witness Protection and the state prosecutors are dealing with this by carefully shielding investigative info from being used by mob, by acting secretly, gathering evidence behind closed doors, and then ultimately busting some mob circles. I think there were some paid villains who took care of the dirty work.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
No but I feel like there was enough circumstantial evidence, such as these facts:

- Past court records show the husband was abusive towards spouse

- There was cases of restraining orders

- the kids are under an armed guard in NY and the timing of the disappearance of Jennifer Dulos was clear as the kids were in school

- Husband remained low key since this disappearance and there’s not been an emotional cry normal of a lost spouse

-Who else would be involved here than the prime divorce partner? He could get on a flight to Greece before being detained

My guess is there’s lots of $$$ in this case and this means there could be some mobbery villains here, Al Capone types, the old Witness Protection and the state prosecutors are dealing with this by carefully shielding investigative info from being used by mob, by acting secretly, gathering evidence behind closed doors, and then ultimately busting some mob circles. I think there were some paid villains who took care of the dirty work.
None of that “evidence” leads to probable cause, which is needed for a search warrant. Again, the case has to be made. That’s what investigators have been doing since day one.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:55 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,005,315 times
Wow. It looks like they got the husband on this. His cell phone records show he was in the area when she disappeared. They found blood stains in his home and evidence of trying to clean it. Then they have video from Hartford showing a vehicle like his on Albany Avenue and they found blood stained clothing in trash bins there. DNA matches the blood to her. Looking bad. But great detective work. Kudos to the police. Jay

https://www.courant.com/breaking-new...hqi-story.html

Old 06-03-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Wow. It looks like they got the husband on this. His cell phone records show he was in the area when she disappeared. They found blood stains in his home and evidence of trying to clean it. Then they have video from Hartford showing a vehicle like his on Albany Avenue and they found blood stained clothing in trash bins there. DNA matches the blood to her. Looking bad. But great detective work. Kudos to the police. Jay

https://www.courant.com/breaking-new...hqi-story.html
Agreed. They are doing, from what I can see, an excellent investigation. If they didn’t charge this guy with evidence tampering, effectively requiring him to turn in his passport and should he be able to post bond, wear a tracking device, he would be long gone. Lots of circumstantial evidence but hopefully they find her (or her body, even though it’s sad to say).

I’m not sure if anyone read the substance of her complaints to New Canaan Police in the past. She said if she files for divorce, she knows he will become enraged and physically harm her. She filed a supplemental report saying she fears for the safety of her family. Unfortunately, the way the laws work, unless a crime is committed, the only thing a police department can do is increase patrols and document her claims. Either way, it’s haunting that she knew what was going to happen. That’s why domestic violence is so serious nowadays.

I have to say it’s starting to get major national attention. It’s been one of the top stories on the news down here and CNN/Fox are covering it extensively on their networks. I do wish the media would focus less on the affluence of the family and New Canaan, and more on the investigation and couple’s history.

I await their murder arrest and following trial. What a POS.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:00 PM

1,330 posts, read 2,632,595 times
Quote:
I’m not sure if anyone read the substance of her complaints to New Canaan Police in the past. She said if she files for divorce, she knows he will become enraged and physically harm her. She filed a supplemental report saying she fears for the safety of her family. Unfortunately, the way the laws work, unless a crime is committed, the only thing a police department can do is increase patrols and document her claims. Either way, it’s haunting that she knew what was going to happen. That’s why domestic violence is so serious nowadays.

That is really tragic. It makes me wonder what else she could have done, or what to advise someone to do if they find themself a similar situation. I always hear about "restraining orders" but I don't know what's necessary to put one into effect, or if it could have made a difference in this instance. Maybe if the guy had made threats of violence she could have tried to get an audio recording or something. But I am guessing that any charges brought on the basis of threatening might have provoked him just the same.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
That is really tragic. It makes me wonder what else she could have done, or what to advise someone to do if they find themself a similar situation. I always hear about "restraining orders" but I don't know what's necessary to put one into effect, or if it could have made a difference in this instance. Maybe if the guy had made threats of violence she could have tried to get an audio recording or something. But I am guessing that any charges brought on the basis of threatening might have provoked him just the same.
There is really not much a police officer can do except document the claims if a crime wasn’t committed. I don’t believe he made an actual threat of violence, because he likely would have been at least questioned. Threatening is a very difficult crime to prove because it’s often he said/she said without any direct proof. If he denies it, aside from there being a text or voicemail, there’s no probable cause to make an arrest.

There are victim advocacy groups that could have been beneficial but even then, there’s only so much they can do as well. A lot of people put faith in restraining or protective orders, but really, all they are is a piece of paper. They are violated all the time, unfortunately. Short of posting an officer up at her residence 24/7, or relocating her to an address he doesn’t know (which is likely not legal due to his partial custody of their children), there is only so much that can be done. Very tragic and I’m wondering if CT domestic violence laws will get revisited after this (although I’m probably getting ahead of myself).

Old 06-03-2019, 04:16 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,116,154 times
Quote:
Agreed. They are doing, from what I can see, an excellent investigation. If they didn’t charge this guy with evidence tampering, effectively requiring him to turn in his passport and should he be able to post bond, wear a tracking device, he would be long gone. Lots of circumstantial evidence but hopefully they find her (or her body, even though it’s sad to say).

I have to say it’s starting to get major national attention. It’s been one of the top stories on the news down here and CNN/Fox are covering it extensively on their networks. I do wish the media would focus less on the affluence of the family and New Canaan, and more on the investigation and couple’s history.

I await their murder arrest and following trial. What a POS.
Again, a plug for the Daily Mail. They're giving more pics, and more coverage, of this case than any of the national or regional news organizations. Some may call them sensationalist, but I've found in following them over the years that they break the stories and details first, that the US networks report on later.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Again, a plug for the Daily Mail. They're giving more pics, and more coverage, of this case than any of the national or regional news organizations. Some may call them sensationalist, but I've found in following them over the years that they break the stories and details first, that the US networks report on later.
Agreed. The Daily Mail always reports extensively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut