Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2019, 08:06 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times

Advertisements

I guess it depends, the express buses are full. Maybe you just need more of those.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 08:42 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,741,137 times
An emailed update on Lowcountry Rapid Transit

Making Headway: LCRT Continues to Advance in 2024
The LCRT project is moving full speed ahead in 2024, kicking off the year with momentum as the project team continues to work through the Engineering phase.

“Over the next few months, the team will continue developing design plans and will emphasize collaboration and engagement with communities and stakeholders. Here’s what we’ll be working on through the next few months:

“Continued coordination with the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and local and state agencies to keep moving the project forward
Completion and delivery of 60% design plans, which will expand on details of the project
Ongoing engagement with communities, neighborhoods, elected officials, and businesses to ensure that the community remains informed and involved in the project.”

Old 03-07-2024, 09:23 AM

Should be interesting to see how they dedicate lanes to this on Rivers Ave. If they plan on just taking a lane, people are going to lose their minds.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:20 AM

309 posts, read 257,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Should be interesting to see how they dedicate lanes to this on Rivers Ave. If they plan on just taking a lane, people are going to lose their minds.
The plan is to have dedicated bus lanes on the route from I-26@University Ave. to Reynolds Ave. Most of that section has a grassy median in the middle of it which is where the dedicated bus lanes are going. As for the sections without the median, I have no idea.

It's likely they will widen the road to the outside where there is no median so as not to remove a travel lane.

Old 03-08-2024, 07:09 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
As bad as our traffic is getting, I would not be surprised if they did not try to convert actual lanes at some points to really drive-up desirability of mass transit. I think a huge part of the resistance is cultural norms. The good thing is if they can create dedicated lanes anywhere it will given them a way to better route traffic across the area as it will negate the very valid complaint about the buses not being able to stick to schedule.

I also expect to see one of those zipper lanes come into play at some point to help open up flow on bridges or some of the more heavily used roads.

Old 03-08-2024, 09:11 AM

I think Southerners hate zipper merges. It becomes a chicken contest.

Old 03-08-2024, 11:59 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
So, the initial post on this thread was 2019. Yippee, the next big thing. 5 years later they're still working on design?

SC gonna SC.

Old 03-08-2024, 12:52 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
So, the initial post on this thread was 2019. Yippee, the next big thing. 5 years later they're still working on design?

SC gonna SC.
From the beginning they were shooting for 2027 for the ribbon-cutting.

Old 03-10-2024, 09:03 AM

108 posts, read 101,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post

SC gonna SC.
Federally (majority) funded projects require a minimum 5 year process. In MtP, the Billy Swails 4B road project was given the green light by the Council in 2017. They are hoping to break ground this year. Covid slowed down both Federal and State reviews, btw.

Old 03-14-2024, 01:42 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I think Southerners hate zipper merges. It becomes a chicken contest.
Strangely coming from downtown, merging on to the Silas Pearman (newer of the two cooper river bridges) was an unofficial zipper merge. It was this weird unwritten but completely followed bit of traffic etiquette. The opposite would be that suicide merge on Sam Rittenberg/Old Town Rd in West Ashley that the weakling former mayor cancelled addressing...

I'm actually meant a zipper lane similar to the barrier they have on Golden Gate and one or two other bridges where a dump truck looking machine drives over the bridge in tandem with another vehicle as it literally realigns the median to increase on side by a lane and reduce the opposite side. Obviously, that only works when the sides of the bridge have different dominant sides in morning vs afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area