Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 03:27 AM

3 posts, read 499 times

Advertisements

In my own case. I was feeling fine, and went for the routine mammogram. Nothing sinister showed up, and l walked out of there feeling relieved. They must have sent a report to my gynaecologist, because they called me in to check something. Even there, l didn’t know what they were looking for, took ages on an ultra sound. The doctor was concerned by something that was hard, and should have been soft. At that stage there seemed to be nothing to be worried about, but she did a biopsy, and wanted to see me in three months.

The weekend passed, and early on Monday morning l got a call from the boss of the surgery, to “talk about things”. There was no lump in my breast, but the ‘beginning’ of something. So since then, my life has revolved around breast cancer. Surgery to take the thing out, then a course of chemo, followed up by antibody sessions, which l am now the final stages of. It was explained to me that this was precautionary. I weathered it all quite well, no real side effects except some fatigue and brain fog.

But this is the point of my post: that mammograms don’t always work, despite pressure being put on women to have them. I find this worrying, as there must be women out there walking around feeling fine, but they are not, because of a failed mammogram.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2024, 02:10 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaphneDreaming View Post

But this is the point of my post: that mammograms don’t always work, despite pressure being put on women to have them. I find this worrying, as there must be women out there walking around feeling fine, but they are not, because of a failed mammogram.
I doubt very much you'll find any radiologist/oncologist who disagrees that mammograms can miss some cancers. Problem is, what tool does find all of them? It doesn't exist, at least not now. A combination of self-exam, mammogram, and ultrasound does a bit better. So, those are the tools we have and why the recommendations (pressure?) exist. Another thing to consider about those imperfect mammograms. They are repeated over time. A single one in isolation can certainly miss something. After all, it's just a screen shot at one moment in time, right? The value of repeated scans over time is that they detect change.

Old 03-18-2024, 04:58 AM

879 posts, read 763,902 times
I think the breast mri is the best tool for finding breast cancer. I get a fast breast mri every year since my breasts are so dense.

Old 03-18-2024, 05:42 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I think the breast mri is the best tool for finding breast cancer. I get a fast breast mri every year since my breasts are so dense.
A combination of a mammogram with a breast ultrasound works too.

Old 03-18-2024, 06:57 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A combination of a mammogram with a breast ultrasound works too.

Agreed - I asked my oncologist if I need to continue bi-annual MRI's (because I pay $1500 for them each year as my deductible is $3500) and she said that the 3D mammo combined with an US is really thorough now.

Old 03-18-2024, 03:50 PM

The fast breast mri, while not covered by insurance, costs $300 in my area. It’s worth the $ for peace of mind for me. My breast are the highest level dense.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:50 AM

Quote:
The fast breast mri, while not covered by insurance, costs $300 in my area. It’s worth the $ for peace of mind for me. My breast are the highest level dense.
I've not heard of this. I'm going to see if it's available in my area.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:55 AM

Okay - this fast breast MRI is available in my area! The only "problem" is that I am mildly allergic to the contrast dye so I usually have to have a steroid prep and valium. I wonder if that jacks up the price? Still - good to know this is an option. My breast is super dense too.

Old 03-19-2024, 10:28 AM

1,489 posts, read 790,661 times
Quote:
My wife paid for a breast mri and the radiologist told her that a regular mammogram is actually better!
Live and learn.

Old 03-20-2024, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
My wife paid for a breast mri and the radiologist told her that a regular mammogram is actually better!
Live and learn.
My breasts show up completely white in a mammogram so it’s impossible to see anything. I’m sure it depends on breast density as to which is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer