Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2023, 10:09 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

My beloved mom was recently diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

Of course, there were no early symptoms and what she thought was indigestion ended up being the worst diagnosis ever.

She is 75, and was otherwise in good health - only one hospitalization in her lifetime, no comorbidities.

Unfortunately, before she can even battle the cancer, she's been afflicted with cachexia (sp?). It has caused massive weight loss.

As her caregiver, I've been trying to get her to eat, but she has little desire to eat and there's no way I can get 1800 calories in her. It's been pretty overwhelming and she is just getting weaker. She's been hospitalized again for failure to thrive because despite my best efforts, she wasn't getting enough. Now the doctors are going to discharge her again and give me a week before a feeding tube.

Does anyone have anything to share (and tips for food intake) for this truly horrible condition that is slowly trying to starve her to death???

She can't get chemo if she's like this.

I'm just heartbroken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 06:51 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
You may have to consider a PEG tube.

https://www.asge.org/home/for-patien...erstanding-peg

Old 06-20-2023, 08:03 PM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Stage 4 is about as advanced as it comes. Have you asked her what she wants? I cannot begin to understand the angst you are experiencing, but I worry she may not want this fight. This issue has been front and center on my mind since my (minor, compared to her) dx.

Well wishes in your journey. I hope both you and mom find peace.

Old 06-21-2023, 12:09 PM

441 posts, read 438,867 times
Talk to your doctor about a PIC line for intravenous nutrition. I had to have one after my pancreas surgery. They took out the tail of my pancreas and my spleen. I lost 40 pounds . That was the only good thing.

Old 06-28-2023, 07:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Unfortunately the lack of appetite is also a major side effect from chemo, when she starts that. When I started mine the advice from my sister, a nutritionist was to eat whatever I felt like that tasted good, forget about good nutrition and take multi vitamins. Water tasted like metal to me, and many usual foods made me nauseous. As a result I ate a lot of ice cream, burgers and fries, and bacon sandwiches. Have you tried the nutritional drinks like Boost and Ensure? I didn't like the taste of those but they may be worth trying.

If nothing tastes good enough to eat, then you will have to get medical help, such as CARas2020 suggested.

Sorry to hear about your Mom and I hope you get her some help real soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer