Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 09:15 AM

21,798 posts, read 16,467,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
"Living in a van down by the river." lol
Well yup.

Actually, living in a boat on the river … with van parked under the bridge. Great lifestyle. Money in the bank. Not in mortgage payments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 09:43 AM

10,380 posts, read 8,623,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Good to know … everybody should move to Georgia.
Naw, they can stay in the greatest state ever, California. Heck the word is out even more people should move into California, lots of room for everyone.

Old 05-14-2024, 09:49 AM

10,380 posts, read 8,623,864 times
Quote:
Ah but my suggestion is for people to move to Georgia or Idaho if they are unhappy with the cost of registering their vehicles here. The posts I referenced are from Georgia and Idaho residents who are sharing with Californians how superior their states are in this regard. They are regularly discussing the advantages of their having moved from California to Georgia and Idaho. Why shouldn’t I support their POV? If they can throw that out there … I can reinforce it. On topic: if you feel registering your California cars is a reason to leave for cheaper *fees* elsewhere … well, by all means, you certainly have my encouragement!

Me personally? All my vehicles (tow van, boat(s), and boat trailers are ……………….. California registered ….

I do own Washington properties now since the wife passed away and I inherited back. But no, those two properties are not my *base camp*. I renovated as needed and they are rentals now … and I’ve turned their management and future over to one of my sons who’s moved north now. So yes, I could register vehicles there. But the *fees* are actually higher up north.

By the way, did you know that California has a *Permanent Trailer* licensing option? $10 every 5 years to renew. That’s it. Neat huh Washington doesn’t have that.
Well they are superior in that regard to registration fees and guess what, we already moved there.
With all the talk about how superior California is over every other state when it’s turned around some get really defensive.

Not everyone wants to live in a little boat with a van on the side. Maybe the mortgage is too much for you to handle, but for many it’s not and some that moved to more affordable states don’t have a mortgage, just like you.

Old 05-14-2024, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Well they are superior in that regard to registration fees and guess what, we already moved there.
With all the talk about how superior California is over every other state when it’s turned around some get really defensive.

Not everyone wants to live in a little boat with a van on the side. Maybe the mortgage is too much for you to handle, but for many it’s not and some that moved to more affordable states don’t have a mortgage, just like you.
Certainly never said a mortgage was too much for me. I’m liquid with plenty enough to pay cash for any houses I might want in California. I simply don’t like houses as modern civilizations have come to demand they be built. Offensively stupid construction, sizes, and amenities. But no matter.

Vehicle registration costs is the topic of the day here. And I am amused by the complaint of cost to register a Lamborghini . If someone wants such a stupid wasteful, useless vehicle, and can afford to buy and drive and maintain one … well, they can certainly afford the registration fees.

Old 05-14-2024, 04:21 PM

2,038 posts, read 1,760,329 times
How much is regular unleaded these days?[/quote]

How much you got? $ 4.75 for regular. Slowly climbing. Our PGE electric is $0.44 / kWh and also climbing, but not that slowly. I won't be surprised to see $ 9.00 for regular gas and $ 1.20 / kWh in my lifetime and I'm not far from buying the farm. Sacramento Bee, no print, only the Internet edition went from $ 91 last year to $ 149 in 2024.

In CA you can't open a newspaper or watch TV news without getting flooded with sob stories about the unhoused, ( when they do arson we call them transients) the poor, the disadvantaged, the undocumented, the uninsured. According to our media, they all deserve our help, and that money must be squeezed out from the actual workers and producers. The people who actually work for a living, what do they get for getting out of bead at 4 AM? A tax increase and speeding tickets.

Old 05-15-2024, 12:14 AM

2,615 posts, read 2,341,723 times
Quote:
“Those fees” being “excessive” is, of course, your opinion - which you are entirely entitled to. Lots of folks agree, I’m sure. People hate “fees” in general. I do too.

That agreed, while comparisons are a bit tricky in this, due to the variety of fees associated with vehicle registrations across the 50 states, - California’s rates don’t appear to even make the top 10 most expensive registration states list.

Curiously, Oregon seems to top the list in numerous comparisons.
I wouldn't have guessed the bolded part above.

Old 05-15-2024, 12:26 AM

2,615 posts, read 2,341,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
How much is regular unleaded these days?
How much you got? $ 4.75 for regular. Slowly climbing...[/quote]

I vaguely remember hearing the gas in California is different than other states. Does California gas provide the same mileage as gas from other states?

Old 05-15-2024, 07:20 AM

1,093 posts, read 816,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I wouldn't have guessed the bolded part above.
That's because this is based on averages. https://www.autoinsurance.org/vehicl...fees-by-state/

CA renewal fees are mostly a function of vehicle value. If you drive an old low value vehicle your fees are less than many other states. Yet many with newer vehicles are paying upwards of $700 now. Like with taxes, the story at the high-end is way different than the average. There's a reason wealthy/high income people started leaving once the SALT deduction cap went into effect.

Old 05-15-2024, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
That's because this is based on averages. https://www.autoinsurance.org/vehicl...fees-by-state/

CA renewal fees are mostly a function of vehicle value. If you drive an old low value vehicle your fees are less than many other states. Yet many with newer vehicles are paying upwards of $700 now. Like with taxes, the story at the high-end is way different than the average. There's a reason wealthy/high income people started leaving once the SALT deduction cap went into effect.

Clarify please that you’re not suggesting wealthy people are leaving California because their expensive cars cost too much to register

Old 05-15-2024, 08:44 AM

1,093 posts, read 816,851 times
Quote:

Clarify please that you’re not suggesting wealthy people are leaving California because their expensive cars cost too much to register
I don't expect anyone moves just for renewal fees, that would be silly. But it adds up as part of a larger picture: VHCOL, high taxes, high fees, expensive utilities, high gas prices. I don't mind paying a lot if I'm getting value in return. E.g. when we lived in Germany I was fine with a >50% marginal tax rate because everything was so well run. Moving back to California was, quite literally, jarring as we navigated really poor roads, underfunded schools, dilapidated parks, and failing infrastructure.

Similarly, I don't mind paying my taxes here because our schools are great, the roads and parks are well maintained, and government agencies provide good service. Stuff is just generally very functional and managed well. The state is running surpluses, so last year our property taxes were lowered enough that I could use the savings to buy a new mountain bike.

For those who prefer CA and accept the tradeoffs involved that's fine with me. I'm also fine with people moving to Idaho -- people are what makes a place great by contributing their skills. Idaho isn't perfect and it's not for everyone (really, no place is), so there may be other paces in the US that are better depending on what one is looking for. We are quite fortunate in the US to move freely in such a large, beautiful and diverse country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California