Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 10:15 AM

10,355 posts, read 8,581,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Revenue.

"Yuma County says winter visitors contribute more than 400 million dollars in economic activity every year."

Just in Yuma county...

Now that may seem trifle to residents of the 5th largest economy in the world, but
$400 million is not peanuts to Yuma county. They would prefer CA not become Snowbird friendly.
I understand Yuma would like it. But on this forum it’s constantly flaunted how wealthy California is so why would it need more revenue? It already can’t put a dent in its problems with the money it has now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 09:43 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,428,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
We come in dead last in this recent ranking:
https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...zoombirds.html
Those are all northern California cities listed (other than Pomona). I wouldnt call Northern California exactly "warm".

Who the heck would want to go to Pomona?

Also, this is the first I've heard teh term Zoombird.

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 11-16-2023 at 09:58 PM..

Old 11-17-2023, 07:05 PM

1,055 posts, read 577,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I seem to recall Palm Springs being one of the original 'snowbird' destinations back in the day. Rich people from out East spending their winters there.
So was Pasadena.

It became the winter resort town for wealthy East Coast and Midwest people starting around 1880 to Great Depression. (Hence the building of the 1st California freeway, the 110.) There is a street in Pasadena named Michilinda Avenue = Michigan + Illinois + Indiana.

Old 11-17-2023, 10:43 PM

3,475 posts, read 5,271,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandissf View Post
We are fogbirds - we leave the fog of the SF Bay area for Coachella Valley (October thru April). Snowbirds are fine - they don't create crime, they pay taxes, they leave tip. Some of them are slow drivers and they have tacky looking golf carts decked with American and Canadian flags. They are not a diverse group - lots of old whites for the most part - here's to you Bert and Ethel Smith.
We used to have a small condo in everyone and a townhome in San Diego (certainly not as warm as Coachella Valley), and we would try to time avoiding the fog seasons in both places. But for SF, the second warmest and sunniest month is October. We always made a point to be there in October and into early November (was warm this year into early November again), and it's a shame to miss the best time of year. Winter in the desert is fantastic though!

Old 11-17-2023, 10:46 PM

3,475 posts, read 5,271,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Those are all northern California cities listed (other than Pomona). I wouldnt call Northern California exactly "warm".

Who the heck would want to go to Pomona?

Also, this is the first I've heard teh term Zoombird.
I guess compared to snowy areas, it's relatively mild in winter in NorCal since it doesn't snow. But if you can get another ten degrees warmer, why not just go to SoCal, I agree with you. What's really weird is that Memphis is on the list, which is a lot colder than NorCal. Even Atlanta can get ice storms or snow storms. Those are the worst on that list.

Old 11-18-2023, 07:18 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,085,920 times
I snowbird to the Bay Area from North Western Washington to a degree.
It ain’t all that great of an idea for breaking up our Washington winters so the weather isn’t the main factor.
Our place in the Tri-Valley Area isn’t leaps and bounds warmer than our place in Washington during the winter months and believe it or not it even gets way more rain.
The summers are getting unbearable hot in California and in the southern states areas.

We keep our place in California as insurance in case we get sick and need better medical than is offered here in Washington.
I also designed and built the place so I kinda like it and it’s location.
I also consider it a good investment that I’m in no need to sell and lose my Prop. 13 advantages anytime soon.

Why someone would chose Cali as a snowbird location is beyond me.
If it was strictly a snowbird location decision it definitely wouldn’t be our first choice.

I don’t dig humidity or bugs but an ocean condo in a place like Ft. Lauderdale might work better than what I have now.
Give me an option of a nice large upscale waterfront retirement community that has nice winters, hookers and blow and I’m moving money around.
Just joking .

Old 11-19-2023, 04:49 PM

580 posts, read 516,136 times
Snowbirds looking for second homes want to things: Warm and cheap.

Old 11-22-2023, 05:26 PM

8,499 posts, read 6,905,797 times
About the only out of staters I see in my neighborhood are middle grade military officers. Alaska plates (Coast Guard), Florida and Hawaii (Navy and Marine Corps) North and South Carolina (Marine Corps). They all have generous cost of living allowances. Million dollar homes, expensive cars. I am talking Porches, Jaguars, BMW’s. They come and go whenever the next duty stations come along.

Old 11-23-2023, 07:43 PM

10,317 posts, read 6,866,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Snowbirds looking for second homes want two(sp) things: Warm and cheap.
Yuma/Quartzite/Bullhead City...

Old 11-25-2023, 06:33 PM

133 posts, read 179,800 times
They can do what Henderson, NV is doing but that would require tax reform which will never happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California