Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 10:29 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
I once lived north of Boulder Creek just off of 9, River Dr, right on a 90 degree bend in the San Lorenzo, the house was just 15' above summer water level....wonder if the house is still there after the recent rains...How high did it get in BC ? Any pics ?
I just uploaded all the pics I’d been collecting, mostly from people on my local Facebook page. Link here: https://imgur.com/a/07Eepck

Most of that is from Felton, Ben Lomond, and Bear Creek Road. The water has receded now, for the most part, but those roads will obviously need MONTHS of repair work. We can’t get down the mountain without using detours, and that’ll be our life for quite a while. Oh, and see the pic (second-to-last) with the woman and her cat? I almost bought a house on that street! Got outbid on that one, which I now see as a blessing. Whew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 08:36 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I just uploaded all the pics I’d been collecting, mostly from people on my local Facebook page. Link here: https://imgur.com/a/07Eepck

Most of that is from Felton, Ben Lomond, and Bear Creek Road. The water has receded now, for the most part, but those roads will obviously need MONTHS of repair work. We can’t get down the mountain without using detours, and that’ll be our life for quite a while. Oh, and see the pic (second-to-last) with the woman and her cat? I almost bought a house on that street! Got outbid on that one, which I now see as a blessing. Whew.
The photo of the pier in Capitola, and the storm-surge-flooded homes; just a few months ago I saw a photo of those beach homes (I've never seen Capitola from the beach), and was a bit shocked that the city allowed people to build right on the beachfront like that. I've never seen that in any beach towns in CA. I thought, "those homes are sitting ducks for a storm surge or sea-level rise flooding". Recently I noticed Rio Del Mar, also in S. Cruz Co., has a similar situation. Do you have any news about how that situation is shaking out in terms of insurance claims, but also -- a possible change in town ordinance or building codes? It's time to get real about the safety of building right on the beach.

You were incredibly lucky to avoid being in any of the flood or landslide areas, giz. Sad about that Felton road. I'm glad you posted this. I'll be in the area in the spring. I guess I won't be visiting Felton, except by a circuitous route, if at all! There's a good music venue up there I like to visit on occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California