Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 04:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,849,535 times

Advertisements

Just think the draw of on demand electric?

I have one by Siemens and it’s 380v 3 phase… installed in a small dairy operation.

I believe the forced demise of gas is a step backward.

Not that long ago converting to gas came with incentives…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 10:08 AM

50,553 posts, read 47,382,764 times
I've got my wood split and ready for the winter.

Old 11-21-2023, 02:34 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,493,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Just think the draw of on demand electric?

I have one by Siemens and it’s 380v 3 phase… installed in a small dairy operation.

I believe the forced demise of gas is a step backward.

Not that long ago converting to gas came with incentives…

The little under sink cabinet ones draw less than 2kw, so around 15 amps max.
Not really a big deal.

Maybe if Bill Gates succeeds with his nuclear energy ambitions, we'll be ok going into the all electric future that the state is dreaming about. Of course, it would be nice to have the infrastructure in place before embarking on these experiments but California likes the cart-in-front-of-horse model too much.

Old 11-22-2023, 09:42 AM

42,812 posts, read 26,498,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My cousin grew up on a farm where taking a bath first meant heating the water with a small wood burning heater in the bathroom.

She hated it because you had to plan ahead.

I have two electric water heaters in Washington… they work but remember WA cost of electricity is much lower than California.

In Austria I installed a On Demand electric water heater… works great for a cabin but the lights dim when it heats…

My home in Oakland originally had a Wedgewood stove with gas on one side and wood on the other plus s coil on the wood side to heat water…

What’s old is again new… it worked very well but also someone needs to plan ahead…
My grandparents had one of those stoves when I was a kid, in the morning we would all stand in front of the stove with the oven door open hoping to get warm. The only one who didn't care about being cold was my crazy Norwegian grandfather who would head for the kitchen sink every morning with nothing on but his boxer shorts and bathe standing up in icy cold water (he claimed it was good for your circulation)

Old 11-23-2023, 07:48 PM

10,427 posts, read 7,019,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My grandparents had one of those stoves when I was a kid, in the morning we would all stand in front of the stove with the oven door open hoping to get warm. The only one who didn't care about being cold was my crazy Norwegian grandfather who would head for the kitchen sink every morning with nothing on but his boxer shorts and bathe standing up in icy cold water (he claimed it was good for your circulation)
Probably liked lutefisk, too!

Old 12-10-2023, 09:52 AM

2,042 posts, read 1,766,746 times
California may require homeowners to replace their broken air conditioning units with heat pumps or more efficient HVAC systems beginning in 2026, draft rules released last month by state energy regulators show.

Encouraging the adoption of heat pumps, which both cool and heat homes using electricity, is key to the state’s carbon neutrality goals. The California Energy Commission aims to quadruple the number of homes with heat pumps to 6 million by 2030."

Straight out of The Sacramento Bee. We replaced our HVAC unit last May at a cost of $ 14,600 and I hope it lasts longer than my old bones, so I'm not whining for myself. Nevertheless, I always wonder what should be the next target to electrify. Just don't turn it on when it gets really hot in July, because the traffic lights might go down in our town if we run out of juice. What about winter heating once all the wood stoves are banned, along with gas ? Stock up on candles, Comrade.

Old 12-10-2023, 10:33 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,849,535 times
Does this mean homes without A/C which is probably 99% in Oakland, Berkeley, San Leandro will be mandated to install A/C?

At work I over see 30+ A/C rooftop units and one large built up unit...

4 of the 30 are heat pumps, they are also the newest and the most trouble...

If I had to replace all with Heat Pumps PGE would probably need to install a new substation to handle the days when temps drop...

Old 12-10-2023, 01:40 PM

19,301 posts, read 16,844,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
California may require homeowners to replace their broken air conditioning units with heat pumps or more efficient HVAC systems beginning in 2026, draft rules released last month by state energy regulators show.
Just more silliness from the state because new HVAC units are already more energy efficient. They don't have to require anyone to do it. Are they that stupid? Never mind. That's a rhetorical question.

I had my entire HVAC unit replaced last year along with a new 40-gal water heater. I negotiated that freebee deal if they wanted my business. I'm good to go for another 20 years and by then, I'll be worm food and someone else will be living here. Let them deal with it.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:06 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,340,438 times
I guess just as with speed cameras, California turned 180 degree on it to be exact. The state once required construction to use gas as much as possible, in other words no electric stoves or dryer outlets for a while. They were strongly against air conditioning/heat pumps due to the potentially ozone depleting Freon. I guess they realized refrigerants are now Puron and “proven” safe for the ozone. Same with how they decided that because electricity is no longer generated by coal, oil, and natural gas(which used to be considered clean efficient energy) anymore but by renewables everyone must change to electricity.

Other states with similar climates from Florida to north as North Carolina west and west to Arizona had been using heat pumps or all electric for most construction for decades. But electricity historically were cheaper in those states than CA.

Btw the state strongly pushed for natural gas to replace wood just ten years ago not only severely limited installation of wood fireplace but even dispatched smoke police to check on spare the air days and they get major holiday pay as many of these happened on coldest holiday days.

Having said all this, it appears split ductless units is a win win for many older buildings particularly apartments/condos which now often have baseboard space heaters either gas or often electric resistive and a fire hazard not just expensive to operate.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 12-10-2023 at 08:44 PM..

Old Today, 05:56 AM

26,868 posts, read 27,053,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Don't most stoves have a vent fan over it?
Apparently not.

To alleviate indoor air pollution, experts recommend using ventilation hoods and opening windows while cooking.

Starting in 2008, California required new and redeveloped homes to have ventilation that could prevent pollution from building up indoors. But during their research, measuring emissions in more than 100 households across the country, Yannai said they found many kitchens didn’t have ventilation hoods at all.

Earlier this month, the California Assembly advanced a bill to the Senate that would require gas stoves to come with warning labels detailing the pollution and health effects that can arise from cooking with gas.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...02320240AB2513

https://www.latimes.com/environment/...ildhood-asthma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California