Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 10:32 AM

11,919 posts, read 6,251,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
The following is from the "California Globe." I can't offer a link, but if you search for the California Globe you'll find the article.

In short, these states are deeply concerned that if CA won't allow gas or diesel trucks to be sold, or even crossing the state, they would have major difficulty to reach the ports in California, for export or import purposes. They claim that converting their own fleets to full electric would drastically raise prices. I will copy and paste a bit, and I hope the moderators won't suspend me.

By Evan Symon, May 14, 2024 12:38 pm

In a lawsuit filed on Monday, Nebraska and 16 other states sued the State of California over their “Advanced Clean Fleet” electric vehicle (EV) truck mandates, including laws where only new zero-emissions trucks would be sold in California beginning in 2035 and where only zero emissions trucks would be on California roads by the 2040s.

As 30% of all U.S. vehicle imports come through California ports, California’s electric trucking mandates essentially mean that they are for the entire country as well.

It seems unconstitutional and a violation of the interstate commerce clause of the 14th Amendment for California to ban diesel commercial vehicles.

As long as out-of-state vehicles are legal for their state, and as long as the 14th Amendment protects interstate commerce, I think SCOTUS would have to nullify any law California passes barring out-of-state commercial diesel trucks from driving on California roads and highways.

I mean, I don't have a front license plate on my car as Tennessee does not issue one. If I drive in California, they can't give me a ticket for no front plate, since I am legal in my state of residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2024, 10:33 AM

4,344 posts, read 6,318,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sim_Mister View Post
One can't state pass laws to impact other states, it's violation of interstate commerce.
California is mandating this for their own state. If the auto companies decide to change their overall production because of California, that's not our problem here. Besides, it's time for other states to wake up to the climate change realities and difficult decisions we all need to make.

Old 05-17-2024, 10:35 AM

1,172 posts, read 413,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
California is mandating this for their own state. If the auto companies decide to change their overall production because of California, that's not our problem here. Besides, it's time for other states to wake up to the climate change realities and difficult decisions we all need to make.
True but if the state of California blocks import of this trucks and other vehicles on their way to be sold in the other states, that is a violation of interstate commerce. Also, we have federal regulations, state shouldn't be able to pass their own as well.

Old 05-17-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sim_Mister View Post
True but if the state of California blocks import of this trucks and other vehicles on their way to be sold in the other states, that is a violation of interstate commerce. Also, we have federal regulations, state shouldn't be able to pass their own as well.
So, states shouldn't be allowed to have higher minimum wage than $7.25/hour? That is the federal standard after-all.

Old 05-17-2024, 10:58 AM

1,172 posts, read 413,064 times
Quote:
So, states shouldn't be allowed to have higher minimum wage than $7.25/hour? That is the federal standard after-all.
State minimum wage has no impact on another state.

Old 05-17-2024, 11:44 AM

7,703 posts, read 4,032,222 times
Quote:
I totally agree. We need to do something about climate change alarmists before they totally destroy the American economy. They ignore that China produces more toxic fumes than the rest of the developed world combined. Why is that?

Old 05-17-2024, 12:15 PM

21,812 posts, read 16,487,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
I totally agree. We need to do something about climate change alarmists before they totally destroy the American economy. They ignore that China produces more toxic fumes than the rest of the developed world combined. Why is that?
“Alarmists”? Anyone who denies the seriousness of the rapid climate shift happening now is alarmingly head-in-the-sand.

Those you refer to as “alarmists” aren’t ignoring China’s toxicity… they are focusing on what they can affect … the Chinese don’t change their policies based on rational free-world protests.

Old 05-17-2024, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Speak for yourself. Who's ignoring this? Lots of pressure on China to reduce emissions but they choose not to do this. Nevertheless, does that mean we should all just follow their lead? That'll only make climate change worse.

Old 05-18-2024, 03:36 PM

2,040 posts, read 1,763,292 times
I have this fantasy to buy for peanuts a totaled EV with a salvage title, remove the batteries and motors, sell it to a private party, and install a 4-6 cyl. turbo motor and a DCT transmission from a totaled Bimmer or Genesis. Enjoy all the green credits and never visit a smog station again. The only con would be trips to the gas station shall happen late at night to avoid the Green Police. In the worst case, gas cans don't cost much.

Old 05-19-2024, 05:53 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,150,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I have this fantasy to buy for peanuts a totaled EV with a salvage title, remove the batteries and motors, sell it to a private party, and install a 4-6 cyl. turbo motor and a DCT transmission from a totaled Bimmer or Genesis. Enjoy all the green credits and never visit a smog station again. The only con would be trips to the gas station shall happen late at night to avoid the Green Police. In the worst case, gas cans don't cost much.

Great name for a band: Totalled EV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California