Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2022, 11:37 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
I love it when you try to sound clever.

Actually tons of driving occurs at over 35mph at all times. Hell, I live in the city and going over 35 is well within the legal speed limit in several places. Not to mention that I enjoy the sound of my engine. And not to mention that EVs are mandated to make a special sound at lower speed to warn pedestrians/bicyclists/etc of their presence. So your argument regarding cars specifically makes little sense. Interestingly enough the Model 3 LR I got to test drive made a ton of wind noise on the freeway. It was actually at least as noisy as my old Subaru.

Commercial vehicles maybe a different story but they still haven't deafened anyone. Plus full EV replacements of larger commercial vehicles won't be happening for quite some time considering how much battery will be required for that.

Well, we can bring the ancient EVs from 70s and 80s into this chat with their glacial acceleration, lack of features and under 100 mile range to even it out. But would you want to? I think not.

Really, stench of fuels and oils? Unless you do your own oil changes where do you get to smell oil in a modern car? Do you constantly stick your nose into the engine? As for fuels - sure, you can smell a little gas at the station while pouring it in but it's honestly such a small discomfort (if you can call it that) that it's not even worth mentioning. However, do you have any idea how much toxins are released into the atmosphere if an EV battery burns? I dare you to read about that.

You're welcome do doubt it all day long but I highly recommend you do some basic researching on your own. At this point due to the industrial processes involving lithium, cobalt, etc the current environmental damage done by a single EV creation is far higher than from manufacturing an entire gasoline vehicle. The overall damage also heavily depends on the grid powering the EV. In states and countries where coal-powered plants dominate the landscape it could take well over a decade to even things out. I understand that upsets you but facts don't care about your feelings.

When I said "amateurish" I was being polite. You're welcome to do some googling of your own on this but anything heavy with high torque will obliterate tires very fast. You said it yourself, EV torque is more positive. In reality EVs have instant torque and a lot more weight than equivalent gas cars so yes, it's a real problem. According to google regular tires wear out 20% faster on an EV. From this article: "EVs need special tires because they put more pressure on them than ICE vehicles. EVs are heavier. Ford’s F-150 Lightning weighs 1600lbs more than a similar conventional F-150. This extra weight, which comes mainly from heavy batteries, means tires have to deal with more resistance as they drive.

Electric motors also deliver more torque than their gas and diesel counterparts. Torque delivery is also instantaneous in an EV, placing immediate and heavy pressure on the car’s tires as the driver presses the accelerator. EV tires typically feature better grip to deal with this torque, but that friction comes at the cost of faster wear and tear."

So what you're saying an all out crazy sport sedan like the Tesla Plaid which has extra motors and an actual track mode has a top speed limit because Tesla suddenly became conscious about battery efficiency? Give me a break. The only "intentional design function" here is to save a few $$$ in order to avoid installing a multi gear transmission on a car that could actually use it. But that's typical Tesla - charge people major $$$ and cost cut the vehicle into oblivion.

Our discussion currently is EVs vs ICE which includes sport functions, especially considering how performance is constantly pushed by EV zealots such as yourself. And then when we start talking about it in detail suddenly it's not your metric? Interesting. But the truth is the performance aspect is a huge selling point for a lot of people (me included). I see absolutely no reason for a smaller EV to exist if it doesn't have a 0-60 in 5s or less. Which is why I just don't get the Fiat 500 and Nissan Leaf. They're basically golf carts.

You really seem to like that word for some reason. I get it, you try so hard to sound smart. Too bad it's not working. Battery replacement costs are also a huge factor. The problems with batteries are manyfold here. One issue is that it's very easy for a manufacturer to create batteries that deliberately expire right after the warranty is over (planned obsolescence). Apple is guilty of doing that a lot. That will force the consumer to either buy a new appliance or pay lots of money for a replacement. And considering that the regular maintenance on the car is much less with an EV as discussed this would be very beneficial to the manufacturer who can't make money on ICE engine service and consumables anymore.

Then there's the whole OTA update thing that limits the battery capacity after the fact. Again, Apple did that and go sued for it and Tesla just did that too on older Model S cars and hopefully will get sued for it as well. Basically with EVs you as a consumer have very little control over your car even after the warranty expires. And that's a big no no in my book.

Well, once again, your maintenance will just come as a single very expensive one-time bill instead. But I hear ya. I put around 10K miles/year on 3 different vehicles combined so to me a yearly oil change and an occasional valve adjustment mean very little even if I have to do 3 of them per year.

The key, once again, is *for now*. Wait a decade, chances are you'll be paying close to the same gas tank prices.

How can they charge competitively if there's usually no competition in the area? I mean hell, the same PG&E charges very different rates throughout its entire empire. You definitely pay more in San Francisco than you would in some far away East Bay hell hole. So where does this competitive rate come from? Plus they can always invent new fees.

This again is silly talk. If you think for a second that even at 100% EV (which won't happen for decades) that fossil fuels will suddenly go away you're very wrong. They're here to stay indefinitely until we can come up with some sort of alternative energy sources that will fully replace them. And I doubt that'll be happening in my lifetime.
All I can say is: ‘Heh’.

Mostly here your responses aren’t even responsive to what I countered with.

Noise: I point out electric vehicles are quieter than ICE. You responded that tires make more noise than modern car engines over 35 mph. I respond by pointing out two things: 1. We aren’t just talking about cars and 2. A LOT of car travel is under 35 mph thus the streets are noisier from ICE traffic than would be from EV traffic.

Then you write: I like the sound of my ICE engine. … Which - what YOU like - isn’t/wasn’t the question.

Then you write about ‘besides, no one was ever deafened by ICE engine noise’ … which also isn’t/wasn’t a question … (nor is it true … and if you want to argue that point, we can … after a military career spent with ICE exposure leaving me and legions of other veterans partially deafened by engine noise, and my 22 year marriage to a deaf woman, I am fully prepared to discuss deafness in all its root causes).

You also want to talk about EVs being so quiet they are mandated to make noise. Um yes. And? Are they mandated to make the same kind of noise? Yes, that makes a HUGE difference. Because different kinds of sound at various decibel levels affect human hearing (and psychology) very differently. And you bet I can prove those points.

Etc.

Point being, your entire response is as weak as what I just demonstrated above for just one of the factors I cited as EV superiority.

“Stench of fuel and oils” …. More nonsensical response from you. Of course everything about ICE engines contributes smells, toxicities, and pollutions that EVs don’t. It’s in the very nature of *internal (fossil fuel) combustion* and mechanics.

“Toxins released if an EV battery burns … and? Are EV batteries burning in every vehicle every mile they drive? Because every ICE burn fossil fuel every mile they drive. Ridiculous.

“Limited top speeds” … lol … yes, it’s a deliberate design function with regard to marketing cars for the mass market. You are an ICE enthusiast. (And no, I’m not an ‘EV enthusiast’ … just a practical minimalist who’d prefer we all used donkeys and carts frankly.) The original question was in what ways are EVs superior to ICE? You want to frame this as referencing 160mph speed potentials? Lololol. You win! Except, the *markets* (and sane drivers) aren’t concerned with 160mph driving. Passenger, daily driver ‘glorified golf carts’ is 90% of the future market.

‘Fuel costs’? … as I said: we live in a free market system. Electric pricing varying from location to location never exceeds the consumers’ ability to pay … and electricity can be produced waaaay less costly than fossil fuel extraction and refinement and distribution.

You can argue these and more points as much as you care to. I’m done. Your passion for ICE / fossil fuel lifestyle is done for. Writing is on the walls all around you. All over but the shouting. Shout all you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 11:57 AM

14 posts, read 7,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Maybe this has already been mentioned (I'll assume it is) but instructing people not to charge their electric vehicles has been part of the week long flex alert throughout the state. The grid has been pushed to the absolute limit today. What's going to change in the next thirteen years to make this pipe dream a reality?
In lieu of building a bunch of new nuclear power generating stations, they could always go back to burning clean, beautiful coal!

Old 09-14-2022, 06:10 AM

1,108 posts, read 527,950 times
What about the cost to produce the battery and the impact on energy required to get the materials to make them? What about the cost to transport, maintenance to produce the electricity? What about the cost to increase the capacity of the electrical systems in homes, apartments, commercial garages etc to increase the charging stations? How about the actual cost of the materials required for those upgrades and the cost to product them? How about the the cost to provide interstate charging stations along freeways and the how is it going to get there?
EV have a place - in major cities in limited numbers. Not until the infrastructure gets built and proven reliability of the of the power requirements are met will EV's will not be the end all that the wokes think they are.

Old 09-16-2022, 06:23 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
What about the cost to produce the battery and the impact on energy required to get the materials to make them?
Good points.

"...electric cars still pollute. They don’t have tailpipe emissions, but the process of producing and transporting them creates pollution. According to the International Energy Agency, the average gas-powered car will create 41.9 tons of CO2 emissions from the point it’s manufactured until it’s retired, in contrast to 21.1 tons of CO2 from an EV. In other words, while the average EV will pollute about 50% less compared with a gas-powered car, it’s still highly polluting.

There’s also pollution, and other harms, that come before the manufacturing stage, especially in the intensifying global competition to procure rare earth materials (concentrated in China) for EV batteries..."

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...traffic-deaths

Old 09-16-2022, 08:38 AM

Oh wait the problem was solved by Biden. He’s going to build 500,000 charging systems. Yep he said it so it’s done.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:56 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
I can't wait for Newsom to make a commercial telling the Hell Angels, Mongos, etc. that they can't ride their bikes on California roads anymore.

Go ahead. I dare you.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:07 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
Oh wait the problem was solved by Biden. He’s going to build 500,000 charging systems. Yep he said it so it’s done.
Well....he's got 2 years left The clock is ticking.

Old 09-17-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well....he's got 2 years left The clock is ticking.
Lets do the math - feds want 500,000 divided by 50 states equals 10,000 per state - maybe more in some and less in others and every 70 miles highway and freeways and 50 miles on other roads -

Binden has what 850 days of so left - so he needs to build starting today 850 ev system in every state every day! Wont happen in 2 years or 5 years - heck even 10 years would require 136 per day! Never happen.

Old 09-17-2022, 08:50 AM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
If electric cars are so good how come there isn't any in Drag racing?

Old 09-17-2022, 10:13 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
If electric cars are so good how come there isn't any in Drag racing?
There are:
Is there electric car drag racing?
The NHRA is au courant, too—in 2021 it announced that an EV class would be added to the NHRA Summit Racing Series in 2022. But this isn't its first electric vehicle rodeo. Read on to learn a bit about the growing presence of electric vehicles in drag racing.Feb 13, 2022

Inside the World of Electric Car Drag Racing | GetJerry.com

Are electric drag cars faster than gas cars?
As explained above, electric cars have quicker acceleration than gas cars, thanks to the instant power generated by an electric motor. However, gas-powered cars still have the faster top speeds, and they can sustain these high speeds for longer.May 31, 2022

Are Electric Cars Faster Than Gas Ones? | GetJerry.com

That covered … why would you use drag racing as the metric for the worth of EVs to society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California