Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 12:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,681,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I am similarly rejected from serving on juries as I very clearly express a total commitment to logic as opposed to attorney predilection to rely on sophistry to sway and hoodwink juries.

I once greatly amused an attorney when I asked him how he did in Logic 101 in college / law school. He said he never took a logic course. My jaw dropped visibly and I asked "not a required course for law?" He laughed and confirmed it is not. And there you have it readers: logic is not required in an American court of law. Trials are sophist cage matches.
LOL! No logic required. They teach you to argue, and not necessarily well ha ha.

What always wins, though, in a legal argument - is the law. If only they'd look it up instead of bluff...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 01:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,601,944 times
I was called to jury duty six times in CA, once while I was in law enforcement. I actually made it on a jury once in Sacramento. Surprisingly enough it was the defense attorney that wanted me an d the prosecution was just as happy to let him. It was an assault with a deadly weapon/ attempted murder case and the defense was going to be self-defense. As timing is everything in such a case the defense figured that as a, then, former cop I could help explain it to the panel. I could. I did and we found the defendant guilty. Several other times I went through voir dire but was always challenged off.

Later this month I start a year of jury duty in the petit court for my county which is equivalent to what used to be the municipal courts in California.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,681,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I was called to jury duty six times in CA, once while I was in law enforcement. I actually made it on a jury once in Sacramento. Surprisingly enough it was the defense attorney that wanted me an d the prosecution was just as happy to let him. It was an assault with a deadly weapon/ attempted murder case and the defense was going to be self-defense. As timing is everything in such a case the defense figured that as a, then, former cop I could help explain it to the panel. I could. I did and we found the defendant guilty. Several other times I went through voir dire but was always challenged off.

Later this month I start a year of jury duty in the petit court for my county which is equivalent to what used to be the municipal courts in California.
That is a great story. Very cool.

I was very honest about having cops for a father and brother, though I was a democrat. I said I consider myself middle of the road on issues. I think I was probably a leftover after they used up all their challenges.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:47 PM

26,890 posts, read 27,085,380 times
Just came off 2 days of being on call for jury duty, and many of us were dismissed, after what felt like endless waiting, both in the main room and on a panel. I usually get called once every five years. The only jury I've ever served on was a criminal case a few years back.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:26 PM

21,847 posts, read 16,541,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL! No logic required. They teach you to argue, and not necessarily well ha ha.

What always wins, though, in a legal argument - is the law. If only they'd look it up instead of bluff...
Wish this was true. At least it would be a constant that could be turned to. But interpretations of law are many and can go on forever, practically. On one hand it's good because it leaves room for appeals. On the other hand it's not good because it is arguable and interpretive.

What the world could use is a legal system based firmly in independent investigations, logic and logical analysis by independent trained logician investigators, and then judgement by panels of independent judges. Never gonna happen. Powerful people don't want a logical, rational world. No profit or power benefit in it.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:50 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,374,211 times
I lived in Alpine County for a number of years. 400 eligible jury pool. Lots of jury duty. Mostly Fish and Game violations. Funny thing is, most everyone knew the F&G warden avoided writing citations unless the violator was seriously a scofflaw.

Had an ADW case where the offender came to me and told me that he knew I was on the jury pool and he would appreciate some help. Dude, you are so guilty anyway of the first charge, (I was nearby when it occurred) would you like me to add a complaint for jury tampering? If they offer you a plea bargain, take it.

Frontier justice at it's best. Now I live in a bigger county and get a once a year summons. I know darn near every attorney in the county on a first name basis and have yet to be called into court. Our previous court building had the jury pool stationed outside the courtrooms. The defendants had to walk a gauntlet to get into court. Lots of bargains accepted is my guess.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:42 PM

42,813 posts, read 26,523,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

not really..the law is frequently quite ambiguous and deciding what is 'meant' by it can sometimes only be determined by researching case law. that's when money presents a real advantage in a criminal defense, a public defender will work hard to get you the best 'deal' possible, but a good private defense attorney with a good knowledge of case law can get cases dismissed before they ever go to trial.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:40 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,068,540 times
OP, thanks for sharing your jury duty experience. Sadly, I think most juries function just like how you describe from your experience. A "jury of your peers" is a joke when the defendant is at a venue where her/his jury does not reflect her/his peer background. There are those people in juries who are just along for the ride and will vote the way of the popular opinion. And there are those people who have such domineering and opinionated personalities, that they bully, goad, and "lead' a jury to vote a certain way. In this case, it was the ornery "professional" jury.

I'm glad you stuck to common sense and persuaded the others. It disgusts me that people want to make an example out of people without caring for all the facts or using reasonable doubt.

BTW, security isn't suppose to chase people, they're suppose to call the police. I don't have kids, but I wish a stranger would touch my child in such an aggressive manner. The ambulance would be called for said person.

Like in the recent Jodi Arias case. It was that one hold out jury who deliberately did not vote for the death penalty because she hated the guy Jodi killed. She was a victim of a bad relationship and projected her feelings about men into that case and actually empathized with that sex beast monster Jodi. No death penalty, but life in jail.

Some juries are very bad while some are very good. It's 50/50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California