Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 03:09 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,432,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
I hope not

I don't want to pay ILLEGAL immigrants' health care.

What is the logic here? What utter nonsense is this?
You already do because no one can legally be turned away from a hospital if the need medical attention, whether they can pay or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 04:56 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,136,949 times
Did anyone READ the story? This is for MINOR CHILDREN and disabled adults. It is NOT free unless you are very poor. The bill allows illegal immigrants to BUY insurance, which they can't do now....and pay for it, not subsidized except for MINOR CHILDREN.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:27 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,320,372 times
Default Wha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Did anyone READ the story? This is for MINOR CHILDREN and disabled adults. It is NOT free unless you are very poor. The bill allows illegal immigrants to BUY insurance, which they can't do now....and pay for it, not subsidized except for MINOR CHILDREN.
And Welfare (WIC, EBT, Phones, etc.) are ONLY for those who need it, and it won't be abused.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:41 AM

9,317 posts, read 18,787,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
It's all over. Wait until the 2016 presidential election, where illegals will vote in huge numbers in many blue states. Wonder which party they will vote for? (sarcasm)
I think if these illegals were at all intelligent, thinking people who really wanted to work, I would embrace them. Instead they will vote in mass for the very party (D) who makes empty promises, provides no real work, no future for the number of people they allow in. Why can't we import more Brits, more Scotts, more people trying to flee the violence Putin bestows on his neighbors?

Old 06-05-2015, 05:51 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,384,344 times
You seem to want to stereotype all Mexicans as lazy loafers afraid of hard work. Call me stupid, but last time I looked it was Mexicans doing all the hard laborious, and demeaning work American's don't want to do.

Also, should you decide to live in Mexico, Americans are free to buy into Mexico's very reasonable IMISS health insurance, which is part of Mexico's social security system. (minimal cost to ex patriots)

Also, another financial factoid. There "s..t load of unclaimed social security payments paid into by Mexican workers and their employers, sitting with the US government that will never be used to the illegals benefit either. Wonder where that money will go?

Last edited by modhatter; 06-05-2015 at 06:01 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 06:21 PM

25,600 posts, read 56,632,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
To start with, because Illegal Immigration is such a HOT TOPIC, CD has set up its very own subforum for the issue, here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/illegal-immigration/

where people can debate and vent to their heart's content. Medical costs, food stamps, education, crime, citizenship are all part of the debate.

This thread should be moved to ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION - where it belongs - and merged with the thread already begun on this issue, here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...s-forward.html

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-05-2015 at 07:48 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 09:33 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,081,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
And Welfare (WIC, EBT, Phones, etc.) are ONLY for those who need it, and it won't be abused.

So what do you say about this data? Updated Jan. 2015. Funny how Retardicans blame "illegals". Look in the mirror.

Food Stamp Statistics | Statistic Brain

Old 06-05-2015, 10:13 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,663,373 times
Quote:
Right. The article is difficult to decipher. But, if you do, it says that the original bill was scaled way back. And nothing has been passed anyway.

And as always, I always ask, who benefits? Who benefits from illegals getting healthcare subsidized by CA, rather than using the emergency rooms?

Hmmmm.

Who absorbs the cost of someone using the emergency room who can't pay the bill?

Hmmmmm.

And was some healthcare congomerate a major contributor to the campaign of the politician who proposed the bill?

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.

I don't know the answers to the above questions, but before I went on a rampage, those would be the answers I'd want to learn.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:15 PM

807 posts, read 902,672 times
Is this one by misterno the same topic of discussion as the one started by mbell75 later in the same day? My mistake, I didn't notice this one.

Basically, my opinion after looking into the news boils down to:

1. If you're against illegal immigration, the best way to deal with it is to support more funding for the IRS so that their auditing efforts can ensure that businesses are following labor laws. There's even the altruistic side effect of preventing worker abuse. Don't like the other tax laws? Blame Congress, they wrote the rules.

2. Allowing more people to join health programs and pay into them will reduce instances of hospitals dealing with uncompensated care. The ACA has already produced nationwide results, about 21% reduction in uncompensated care in 2014. California would therefore be very likely to see some benefit as well even if it turns out to be a smaller percentage. Any benefit in total savings would be welcome, from a pragmatic economics-only point of view.

3. You can bypass the economic argument by arguing that illegal immigrants who do not pay up front shouldn't be treated. In that case, you must argue for repealing the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) that was passed by Congress in 1986 and signed into law by President Reagan. That law says that Emergency Departments who receive Medicare money cannot turn away anybody in need.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:20 PM

21,840 posts, read 16,525,181 times
Quote:
Now really. Read? Become informed? How would that advance the "us against them" fear-mongering agendas? Tch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: