Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 12:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,096 times

Advertisements

I have lived in my apartment for less than 3 months. The paint is same as when I moved in. The landlord want to charge me 225.00 for a new paint job in the apartment . I am very sure that they will not actually re paint some thing that isnt dirty . Is this legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 12:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,096 times
Default California Landlord J D Rentals

[quote=kamerona17;39884344]I have lived in my apartment for less than 3 months. The paint is same as when I moved in. The landlord want to charge me 225.00 for a new paint job in the apartment . I am very sure that they will not actually re paint some thing that isnt dirty . Is this legal?

Old 06-04-2015, 06:10 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
He could/should have repainted between tenants. Some states require that the landlord repaint between tenants, others do not. Do you have a signed contract that mentions this? He can't demand you pay for something you have not agreed to. But, did you ask him to repaint it? If so, he might be doing this just to satisfy your request. The amount is reasonable.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:14 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
He could/should have repainted between tenants. Some states require that the landlord repaint between tenants, others do not. Do you have a signed contract that mentions this? He can't demand you pay for something you have not agreed to. But, did you ask him to repaint it? If so, he might be doing this just to satisfy your request. The amount is reasonable.
Which state (or city for that matter) requires repainting between tenants?

Old 06-04-2015, 08:43 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Which state (or city for that matter) requires repainting between tenants?
California is one that does. But not landlords all do.
And I am pretty sure that if you did not do any damage, you can't be responsible for the cost.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:51 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
California "landords" put up with a lot. Just like everywhere else.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:15 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
And I am pretty sure that if you did not do any damage, you can't be responsible for the cost.
I believe you are incorrect. In fact, California does not have any laws on how often you need to paint. (some cities do, such as West Hollywood, but it is in years, not between tenancies). If the paint is peeling. that must be dealt with. But barring peeling paint, there is no California statute requiring painting between tenants or during an active tenancy.

There is a federal law (Title X) as well as EPA regulations that deal with lead based paints only. They do not deal with how often something has to be painted, only the notifications and handling of the lead.

I suspect if California required repainting after every tenant, most leases would be 3 or 4 years long. Not a desired outcome.

I know some apartment buildings that repaint in-between tenants. They just do a whitewash, no matter what. They put plastic over everything, just spray away, and then let it air out for a few days. For them, it works easier that way to then determine who created the damage to the paint. Because they use watered down paint and their maintenance guys do the labor, their costs is <$200/unit, sometimes much less.

I do not do it like that. First of all I use quality paint (>$50/gallon) and it is hand applied. My smallest units cost me $1000 to paint. My largest $3,000.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:21 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamerona17 View Post
I have lived in my apartment for less than 3 months. The paint is same as when I moved in. The landlord want to charge me 225.00 for a new paint job in the apartment . I am very sure that they will not actually re paint some thing that isnt dirty . Is this legal.
No, it's not legal. tell the landlord you won't pay for it and if they get nasty take them to small claims court.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post

There is no requirement to paint between tenants in California

Old 06-09-2015, 03:11 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
The landlord is wrong in charging you. The apt should of been painted before you moved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California