Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 12:51 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,859,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Me View Post
I hope it wasn't a California cow. Cattle take a lot of water. .
Tofu cow. With avocado (that makes it "Californian").

What has always been needed is a more concerted effort in CA towards water reclamation and reuse, rather than let so much flow out to sea. Do that, and all this desal crowing can get put on ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 01:22 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,798,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Just the water in that small area. It would take thousands of desal plants to even begin to impact the Pacific. That much water is not needed, nor is it possible to change that much to "salt free'. Heck how much evaporates every day and that does not impact the ocean at all. Then look at how much fresh water runs into it and that does not effect it as a total ocean, just at river mouths. Then rain storms and they have no significant impact. They could even adjust how much salt is taken out at any one time or per gallon, etc. Desal is one part of the equation, but not the only solution. Population decline is unlikely as more leave than come even now. Births just keep the State growing.
Left out of these desal suggestions is the power needed to run them. Where will all this new power come from? Hydro? Nukes? Zilllions of acres of solar? Zillions of windmills?

Old 06-03-2015, 01:44 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,405,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Left out of these desal suggestions is the power needed to run them. Where will all this new power come from? Hydro? Nukes? Zilllions of acres of solar? Zillions of windmills?
Hot air from CD Forum postings.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,432,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Where is it going to come from to pump more water in, provide more power for more people living in CA, etc? It will have to grow together and each method is going to be needed. Not many realistic choices, aside from bashing AG. That does not help at all.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
... aside from bashing AG. That does not help at all.
Oh, I don't know. Makes me feel better. And that's what it's all about isn't it? Feeling better?

Old 06-03-2015, 10:04 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,556,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Whoa, this is hilarious. It is calling the rivers and lakes "environmental users" of water in CA, saying this "use" of water in CA uses up 50% of the resources.

Uh, the water resources that we have to use. Use 50% of the available water.

What? LOL!!!!

So, what's left is 40% being used by ag, and 10% for urban uses.

Okay. So, let's take out the water that is actually our water resources, and re-do the math.

Wouldn't that be 80% for ag, and 20% for residents?

Didn't we already know this?

Doh.
I couldn't get past that one part. Once I read that I couldn't read any more. I've heard the ocean is the largest user of the Pacific Ocean too lol.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:52 AM

50,449 posts, read 47,177,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, but CO is also hurting. Whither California, thither Colorado. Gloat not, lest the joke be on thee.
What that mis-guided subject doesn't realize is that CO is getting hammered this year. I am going to lose a lot of wheat income this year because of flooding and hail!

Old 06-04-2015, 01:37 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,571,899 times
Quote:
Where is it going to come from to pump more water in, provide more power for more people living in CA, etc? It will have to grow together and each method is going to be needed. Not many realistic choices, aside from bashing AG. That does not help at all.

Just stop. Requiring corporate interests, especially those with sufficient resources to drill deepest into our aquifers, to pay the same rate for water as you or I is not “bashing”. In fact, refusing to address that reality is simply irresponsible. Until last year, California was the only Western state that did not regulate withdrawals of groundwater at all. Maybe we could consider simple solutions first.

Totally unrelated note: anybody else notice many of those bleating the loudest for de-sal are also those who up until recently most vehemently pimped for fracking? Or denied human causation to climate change before that? Or denied climate change entirely before that?

Old 06-04-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Just stop. Requiring corporate interests, especially those with sufficient resources to drill deepest into our aquifers, to pay the same rate for water as you or I is not “bashing”. In fact, refusing to address that reality is simply irresponsible. Until last year, California was the only Western state that did not regulate withdrawals of groundwater at all. Maybe we could consider simple solutions first.
Blasphemer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Totally unrelated note: anybody else notice many of those bleating the loudest for de-sal are also those who up until recently most vehemently pimped for fracking? Or denied human causation to climate change before that? Or denied climate change entirely before that?
What are you trying to say here? A relationship? What imagination!

Old 06-04-2015, 07:03 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,571,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
What are you trying to say here? A relationship? What imagination!
Correlative, if not causal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California