Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2024, 03:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,305 times

Advertisements

Earlier this year, I had an odd situation happen to me while shopping at the Melbourne Square Mall. I was in JC Penny and I had some merchandise in my hand I was planning on purchasing, but I changed my mind. I left the merchandise on a display rack in a department that was different than where I got it. When I left the store, the loss prevention team from JCPenney approached me and demanded I give them back the merchandise. I told them I didn't have anything and emptied my pockets to prove it.
After retelling this story to a bunch of friends of mine, I heard a lot of them tell me similar stories from the same loss prevention team. I thought it might make an interesting thread if others could tell if they have also had run-ins with overzealous loss prevention teams in Brevard and where those run-ins may have been. is this a Melbourne Square Mall thing, or does it happen with as much frequency in Vierra, Merrit Island, and Palm Bay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 01:35 PM

17,557 posts, read 22,328,175 times
You joined C/D to tell that story?

You did something weird: taking merchandise and then leaving it somewhere else. If they were watching the cameras that would be suspicious behavior. Maybe you were going to shoplift and lost your nerve, maybe you are just an absent minded shopper.

I don't see anything wrong with asking you what happened to the merchandise you previously had.

Old 05-16-2024, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,305 times
I don't know, I left it in the store, and after the way that guy treated me, I haven't been back. I always take stuff out of my cart before I check out and leave it wherever I am in the store. I grab the things I think I want, and before I check out, I decide what I am really going to get and leave the rest. And yes, I joined to post that. after telling this story to people I know, I have heard other stories about this guy. A woman I know was pregnant and shopping. She saw a jacket she liked and tried it on, she liked it so she left it on. when she was walking to the register to pay for it (cash in hand), the same loss prevention guy (with MPD in tow) stopped her and accused her of stealing. She explained what was going on to the police, and they agreed with her. She did nothing wrong, but he insisted they trespass her from the store. They did. This got me thinking about whether this is a Brevard thing or just a JCPenny thing, and I thought the best way to find out would be to put a post on a good Brevard BB and see what other people had to say.

Last edited by BeachBum1975; 05-16-2024 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: wanted to add something

Old 05-24-2024, 02:34 PM

18,147 posts, read 11,802,334 times
There must be abundance of theft going on at the mall. This is the first I'm hearing about this JCPenny's security related problems. The last time I was at this mall, I couldn't find anyone for assistance.

I think your behavior, carrying product(s) and suddenly the moving products disappear looks exactly like theft on the video cameras, or however they are monitoring you. Mark it up as lesson learned. Call it a day!

I know as a female Shopper, especially when there is an item in several colors! I select a color, and I carry it for a bit in circles, and then go back for a total different color or more. This is the way females shop. Men are opposite - straight to the product, straight to the register, and out the door. Done.

Last edited by 2goldens; 05-24-2024 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: changed

Old Today, 11:22 AM

11 posts, read 12,984 times
Perhaps the employees called the Loss Protection Team. Employees have to clean up after someone removes merchandise from its designated area. Could be an angry employee possibly.
Or, an earlier poster mentioned security cameras. They do watch those, but maybe by the time they got to you, they hadn't seen that you put the stuff down before exiting.

Old Today, 11:39 AM

27,281 posts, read 44,249,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC42024 View Post
Perhaps the employees called the Loss Protection Team. Employees have to clean up after someone removes merchandise from its designated area. Could be an angry employee possibly.
Or, an earlier poster mentioned security cameras. They do watch those, but maybe by the time they got to you, they hadn't seen that you put the stuff down before exiting.
I don't blame them, that's kind of sketchy behavior. Then to admit it's his common practice. I always wonder who does that when I see stuff abandoned right before the checkout. Hand it to the cashier when you check out and say you changed your mind. They won't mind that because they know it gets back to the right spot versus finding it much later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
View detailed profiles of: