Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 05:24 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,774,404 times

Advertisements

There are coral reefs on Waikiki beach (Hawaii) too, bit there the water is crystal clear and you can see where it is. Here the water is dark with big weaves, cannot see down at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 08:29 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,484,192 times
I used to live in Lantana condo on the beach in Indian Harbour Beach, the town just north of Satellite Beach. The condos consisted of 4 buildings and the addresses were 1795-1851 Highway A1A. At very low time which wasn't often, you could see the rocks. They were a ways out there, I never swam out that far.

Last edited by SanyBelle; 06-30-2021 at 08:44 AM..

Old 06-30-2021, 09:15 AM

283 posts, read 288,971 times
The rocks are on what is referred to as the “inside”. It can get tricky when making your way out past crossing the rocky section and paddling out to the breakers or coming back in to shore when waves are breaking on top of them. But most of the ideal surfing is done beyond the “inside” and where the bottom is mostly sand.

On select days, you can surf the inside but it takes familiarity and knowledge where the rocks aren’t much of a factor and you don’t get hurt

Old 06-30-2021, 09:20 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I always wonder about the surfers in this area. One can easily cut your foot on the rocks, or even hit your head after a wipeout.
I would not surf in that area for that reason.

Old 06-30-2021, 09:25 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
We lived directly on the beach in Satellite for several years. You are referring to coquina rock, which is a sedimentary compilation of limestone and other organic/non-organic material. It is NOT a living reef, such as you see off Jupiter or in various parts of the world. Also, generally speaking, it is rounded off by the tides and not sharp, jagged edges as with most coral reefs.

The surfers generally stay well beyond this - or pull-up before running over/into it with their boards. Sand has been pumped-into various areas (more around the man-made jetties which change the tide/current flow). This ('sand renourishment') has had very little impact in Satellite Beach. Most of the sand there shifts with tidal action .... and the larger coquina rocks do not significantly move or change.

Old 06-30-2021, 04:20 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We lived directly on the beach in Satellite for several years. You are referring to coquina rock, which is a sedimentary compilation of limestone and other organic/non-organic material. It is NOT a living reef, such as you see off Jupiter or in various parts of the world. Also, generally speaking, it is rounded off by the tides and not sharp, jagged edges as with most coral reefs.

The surfers generally stay well beyond this - or pull-up before running over/into it with their boards. Sand has been pumped-into various areas (more around the man-made jetties which change the tide/current flow). This ('sand renourishment') has had very little impact in Satellite Beach. Most of the sand there shifts with tidal action .... and the larger coquina rocks do not significantly move or change.
The problem is that now the man made squares of concrete in the water mess up the waves and could be a danger depending on how far the surfer goes out to catch the wave. A nasty tumble out there and they could bump their head, breaking their neck, or get cut up on the edges of the concrete. I know, I know, ...that is always a possibility for a surfer. Can't tell you how many trips to ER we have made over the years.

Old 01-01-2022, 07:06 AM

166 posts, read 352,784 times
Hi! I have a follow-up question for this post. What is the status of the concrete situation? We will be in the area for spring break. We are renting a place in Satellite Beach. We would like to avoid concrete! I was thinking we would pick a sandy beach (suggestions please) one day to swim if the water is warm enough and hang at Satellite Beach another day to just enjoy the beach but not necessarily swim. Will have to drive to beaches as we are staying close to South Patrick Drive. Anyway, does all of Satellite Beach have concrete now? Can you still see the reef?

Old 01-01-2022, 05:45 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
Hi! I have a follow-up question for this post. What is the status of the concrete situation? We will be in the area for spring break. We are renting a place in Satellite Beach. We would like to avoid concrete! I was thinking we would pick a sandy beach (suggestions please) one day to swim if the water is warm enough and hang at Satellite Beach another day to just enjoy the beach but not necessarily swim. Will have to drive to beaches as we are staying close to South Patrick Drive. Anyway, does all of Satellite Beach have concrete now? Can you still see the reef?
Nope. I don't think you understood. A concrte reef was dropped a half mile out in the ocean. Concrete is not on shore or shallow waters.....but there may be parts of the reef under the water if the area has had erosion of sand that was dumped on the beach.

Staying at Patrick puts you right by some great sand/surfing beaches. Go to Tables or 2nd light or any of the Patrick beaches. Go up A!A to Cocoa Beach for any beach there. Or go down to Indialantic and South beaches. Not all beaches have guards in the winter months. Unless you are used to swimming in an ocean and understand rip tides and what to do, I advise you swim in a pool. If you do go in the ocean to play, wade, or swim stay close to shore. There have been quite a few sharks close to shore this week and even a whale sighting right off the coast there.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:36 PM

166 posts, read 352,784 times
Oh OK, thank you rabflmom. I thought the concrete was closer to shore. Either way they shouldn't be doing that. We will be staying in Satellite Beach in Satellite Beach Isles. On a previous visit we went to Howard Futch (Paradise Beach) which was nice. I don't remember any reef there but I read there is. Is that true?

Old 01-04-2022, 06:51 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
Oh OK, thank you rabflmom. I thought the concrete was closer to shore. Either way they shouldn't be doing that. We will be staying in Satellite Beach in Satellite Beach Isles. On a previous visit we went to Howard Futch (Paradise Beach) which was nice. I don't remember any reef there but I read there is. Is that true?
The rocky beach starts in the north at the end of the runway at Patrick (2nd Light) to just north of 5th Ave. in Indialantic. It's pretty much continuous for that 10 mile stretch. Your closest beach with no rocks would be at Picnic Tables, the last oceanfront parking lot at the north end of Patrick Space Force Base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County