Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 06:46 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

I have many beloved children's books. I read a lot as a kid and have collected a lot of my favorites. My husband and son like to read, but not things they have already read. I will read a book I like over and over. I will read them until I am old, and I hope my grandchildren and great-grandchildren will borrow them someday and love them too.

Some of my favorites are:

Most anything by Edith Nesbitt, especially The Railway Children, which always makes me cry
The Anne of Green Gables series
The Secret Garden, A Little Princess
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Green Knowe books
Where the Red Fern Grows
Various fairytale collections
Harry Potter

I have books by Shel Silverstein and Dr. Seuss (my kids' old books) but I prefer novels. I will pick up more of their works over time for my library, but I don't read them for pleasure as an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 06:53 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
My favorite children's book is "I love you forever" It was always a favorite at our house.

I gave each of my kids an inscribed copy when they hit 18. This year my youngest (31) gave me a copy for my birthday. I thought that was incredibly sweet.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:57 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Shel Silverstein is the guy who wrote the early 70's song "Cover of the Rolling Stone", "Sylvia's Mother", "A Boy Named Sue", "Pennicillin Penny", "Queen of the Silver Dollar". Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show recorded a ton of Shel Silverstein songs.

I had no idea! Thank you for sharing that!

Old 10-06-2016, 08:25 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Got a book that I both wanted to read myself, and share with my kid.. Brother Sun, Sister Moon (Mayo & Malone).

It's a biography of St Francis of Assissi for kids. I've always been interested in the life of Francis, and thought it would be a good introduction for my daughter. It has select, concise stories from Francis' life, and Malone created some cool folk-art type images with each story. A cool read, and I admit I picked it up as much for myself as my kid..

Old 07-12-2017, 09:26 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
I was feeling nostalgic, purchased a used series of old NFL Huddles books..
The Huddles were NFL mascots created for a young audience back in the 8os..

The Huddles book I just finished was Pitch In and Play Fair. Basically a morality tale on teamwork. Artist primarily featured the Saints, Jets, & Giants mascots in this one (Had some free time, so out of curiosity counted their respective appearances. Yeah, I need some new pastimes..)

Old 07-12-2017, 10:53 AM

12,161 posts, read 2,959,937 times
I love the Mercer Mayer critter books, and I don't care who knows it. lol

Old 07-12-2017, 11:50 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Recently, Wabi Sabi for its beautiful cut paper illustrations (lousy story). Before that it was Stellaluna, such lovely pictures and a great little story. I haven't read it in a long, long time, but I retain an impression of The Bongleweed. It's British and hard to find, but I never forgot it.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:40 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
I have to read a lot of children's and teen books for work (as a reference librarian), but rarely buy them for myself... one book I HAD to buy, though, was "Verdi" by Janell Cannon. I'm a snake keeper/hobbyist, and this book was just too adorable! The illustrations are gorgeous, like they are in her other books, and the story is super sweet too.

https://www.amazon.com/Verdi-Janell-...keywords=verdi

Old 07-18-2017, 08:42 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Before that it was Stellaluna, such lovely pictures and a great little story.
How funny... I just posted about buying one of her other books (Verdi), and it was mostly the illustrations that caught my eye! They're beautiful, aren't they?

Old 07-18-2017, 09:21 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
How funny... I just posted about buying one of her other books (Verdi), and it was mostly the illustrations that caught my eye! They're beautiful, aren't they?
It was the faces, so full of character and emotion. And so many people dislike bats, but Stellaluna was such a cute, sweet little girl. I haven't seen Verdi, though I followed your link. I'll look for it next time I'm someplace I can see it. Or even the library. I don't care if they think I'm too old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books