Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 05:59 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfleet_academy View Post
I just moved to Baton Rouge, and the first thing I noticed was the trash lying everywhere, the overgrown weeds, the dilapidated buildings, the mold stains on many buildings, and the cracking, bumpy roads and sidewalks with the crumbling curbs and the dirty concrete barriers. I fully second Robh5000. A question for those who have lived here longer: Are there any nice, clean places in this city?
What part of the city are you talking about? The nice neighborhoods are clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2021, 06:06 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfleet_academy View Post
I just moved to Baton Rouge, and the first thing I noticed was the trash lying everywhere, the overgrown weeds, the dilapidated buildings, the mold stains on many buildings, and the cracking, bumpy roads and sidewalks with the crumbling curbs and the dirty concrete barriers. I fully second Robh5000. A question for those who have lived here longer: Are there any nice, clean places in this city?
The areas around Shenandoah, Siegen Lane, Bluebonnet etc are still relatively well kept and maintained. Outside the city, Denham Springs, Central, Watson, and Prairieville are the best looking suburbs. Zachary depends on what part of town.

Old 10-31-2021, 08:14 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The areas around Shenandoah, Siegen Lane, Bluebonnet etc are still relatively well kept and maintained. Outside the city, Denham Springs, Central, Watson, and Prairieville are the best looking suburbs. Zachary depends on what part of town.
What the hell is pretty about Denham, Central, Watson, and Prairieville?

Old 11-11-2021, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What the hell is pretty about Denham, Central, Watson, and Prairieville?
All these areas are very nice compared to most of the city of BR. All these areas have a lot of nice new development both in terms of residential and commercial development and the roads tend to be well paved in these areas. Denham has Juban Crossing as well as the very historic and quaint Antique District, one of the largest antique districts in the country. North Park and the surrounding neighborhoods are very nice, and the southern part of Denham has large tracts of very pleasant neighborhoods like Plantation Estates and Plantation Lakes. Watson has a lot of nice subdivisions too and the development there is relatively new and has excellent schools.

Central is also very clean and well planned in my opinion with lots of nice self-contained neighborhoods.

Old 12-20-2021, 11:37 PM

27 posts, read 55,706 times
I used to daily commute from Baton Rouge to Lafayette for over a year and on the occasions I’ve witnessed littering it originated from vehicles with either Florida or Texas plates. True story. Just sayin.

But, yes, Louisiana for all its natural gifts hasn’t been blessed with the ability to retain or attract enough of the best and brightest to keep us ahead of the curve. So, I think it really boils down to our being a culture that just doesn’t get it. For all the good our unique mix of culture can bring to a party it also has many terrible downsides. Litter and the general ugliness & poor planning of the built environment is simply an outward manifestation of this starvation of intellect and reason in many things.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:22 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
I was in Slidell and NO last month. What I noticed was all the debris from the hurricane on the curbs waiting to be picked up. I enjoyed my time there as it was the first time to be in Southern LA. Didn't get as far up to BR but I would say it was no worse than most other states. When I went to Hawaii, there was a lot of ghetto type places that we passed. The only thing that made it okay was all the beautiful vegetation that covered up the tacky junk.

Old 12-24-2021, 09:43 PM

Denham Springs and Central are pretty clean and well-kept at least on par with national standards.

Parts of New Orleans and Baton Rouge are run down with a lot of litter, but still better than Baltimore, Philadelphia, Newark or Detroit. Rural areas in Livingston, Ascension and the Felicianas often look better kept than many rural places I've been to in West Virginia and Kentucky.

Old 12-30-2021, 09:50 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Not sure Louisiana, as a whole, is any different than most other southern states in this regard., except for perhaps Virginia and North Carolina. Louisiana is what it is, a state rich in culture, with great food, phenomenal architecture (especially in NOLA), and with numerous opportunities for fishing, hunting, and boating. Truly a unique state…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge