Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 8,998 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been living in the downtown Baton Rouge area for about two years now. Since moving here we have noticed this horrible, moldy towel-like, smell in the air pretty frequently. Does anyone know what this smell is?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 04:57 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdp123 View Post
My husband and I have been living in the downtown Baton Rouge area for about two years now. Since moving here we have noticed this horrible, moldy towel-like, smell in the air pretty frequently. Does anyone know what this smell is?!
Petrochemical plants, perhaps ? Whenever we get a norther, I can smell the plants from my part of town.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:16 PM

369 posts, read 1,638,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdp123 View Post
Probably has something to do with Exxon. Most likely harmless, though, if you smell it that often over that way. I smell something similar to that sometimes in my part of time but pretty rarely.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:44 AM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
It's pretty rare that I smell anything unless it's a strong north wind from the chem plants or the paper mill up around Thompson Creek.
I can smell the stagnant air, and ozone, in the summer time though. I know you technically can't smell ozone, but I can certainly sense the difference.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
It's pretty rare that I smell anything unless it's a strong north wind from the chem plants or the paper mill up around Thompson Creek.
I can smell the stagnant air, and ozone, in the summer time though. I know you technically can't smell ozone, but I can certainly sense the difference.
A friend of mine once noted that whenever he came into BR on the "new bridge" in the summer, he could physically see the haze/ozone/whatever as he crossed the river.

Note to those non BR people: we have several refineries/petrochemical plants along the river that aren't pretty but provide good jobs in our state. Once you get past the river, you see more attractive residential neighborhoods. Bottom line: don't think that all BR is is this big industrial Hades. It's a part - but is not ALL - of what our city is about

Old 01-15-2008, 04:53 PM

155 posts, read 766,401 times
We occasionally catch the smell of Community burning ... er, roasting ... coffee beans.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,184 times
It's those chem plants. And yes, you can start smelling Baton Rouge 20 miles out. I always know when I'm getting close because it starts to stink.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:54 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Louisiana Swamp Gas

Old 05-06-2019, 06:19 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
It's most likely corn dogs ....

Old 05-16-2019, 10:49 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
A friend of mine once noted that whenever he came into BR on the "new bridge" in the summer, he could physically see the haze/ozone/whatever as he crossed the river.

Note to those non BR people: we have several refineries/petrochemical plants along the river that aren't pretty but provide good jobs in our state. Once you get past the river, you see more attractive residential neighborhoods. Bottom line: don't think that all BR is is this big industrial Hades. It's a part - but is not ALL - of what our city is about
The OLD bridge on US190 has an even more industrial view though that route isn't used by thru traffic as much anymore. Honestly when I drive across it into BR from Port Allen on an overcast day it feels like going into Gotham City or something. That area could stand in for New Jersey in a movie.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge