Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 08:22 PM

15,475 posts, read 7,522,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
But if you stick 10-15 cars on a charger, in a relatively small geographic area, an area that normally sees not much more than 8-10 40W light bulbs and 2-3 TVs on, during the "overnight hours", and that won't cause a problem?
No. Do those houses have air conditioners, stoves, washers and dryers, and such? A level 1 charger is 110 volts 15 amp circuit, Level 2 is 240 volt, 40 amp circuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 05:17 AM

6,475 posts, read 3,167,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Those same homes would possibly running washers and dryers during peak times during the day so I don’t think there is going to be a problem.

Now putting chargers in if your breaker box is far from where you need to run power or have to upgrade your breaker box, that is going to be a problem.

As someone mentioned in another post, during the evolution of the automobile changes came slowly and affordability was always a constant. With EV’s each leap forward is costing the consumer thousands of dollars as technology moves forward yearly. I am a MoPar man and it is great they are jumping into the game but I am not going to be able to afford one and the additional cost of upgrading my house for a charger.

I am grateful to have been a part of the boomer generation as if we could not afford a top of the line Z-28, Road Runner, Mustang Mach 1, etc. we had the opportunity to save and budget for the bolt-ons that would get us there in performance. It is nothing gloat over it’s just it was a much simpler time for hot rodding.
I agree with most of your post, but with respect to the electrical load on both the individual's home, as well as the public power grid, I have my doubts. The "pro-EVers" are always counting on the ability to charge their cars in the middle of the night, consequently "off peak". But like the song goes, "It's always 5 o'clock, somewhere", there'll always somebody wanting or needing to charge their car, when it isn't off peak, and that has the potential to cause issues, issues which will be felt by the general public.

As much as I'm NOT looking forward to an EV, it's possible that before I die, I'll have to own one. But I truly feel that they are being rushed into the mainstream, before they're really ready and/or capable to replace the ICE vehicle. It took over 100 years to bring the ICE powered vehicle to the level of sophistication and practicality it now has. They're trying to achieve the same performance level (and I don't mean just acceleration) with EVs, in just a few years.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:47 AM

5,243 posts, read 6,164,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree with most of your post, but with respect to the electrical load on both the individual's home, as well as the public power grid, I have my doubts. The "pro-EVers" are always counting on the ability to charge their cars in the middle of the night, consequently "off peak". But like the song goes, "It's always 5 o'clock, somewhere", there'll always somebody wanting or needing to charge their car, when it isn't off peak, and that has the potential to cause issues, issues which will be felt by the general public.

As much as I'm NOT looking forward to an EV, it's possible that before I die, I'll have to own one. But I truly feel that they are being rushed into the mainstream, before they're really ready and/or capable to replace the ICE vehicle. It took over 100 years to bring the ICE powered vehicle to the level of sophistication and practicality it now has. They're trying to achieve the same performance level (and I don't mean just acceleration) with EVs, in just a few years.

Thanks, the movement towards EV is coming and I just hope it doesn’t become like the political division we have in this country now. It seems like there is a line being drawn in the sand between pro EV and anti EV and it is getting ugly.

Mandates are not going to make the transition any easier to swallow. Perhaps a better way would to have transitioned to Hybrids exclusively first. This might have alleviated any fears and won more people over.

Getting back to the topic of NASCAR, I don’t think they can successfully transition unless it is a rapid switch to EV’s. A poor analogy but you can’t be horse racing proficiently one day and then switch to car racing the next and expect to not have pretty dramatic consequences.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:13 AM

6,475 posts, read 3,167,043 times
Quote:
..........Getting back to the topic of NASCAR, I don’t think they can successfully transition unless it is a rapid switch to EV’s. A poor analogy but you can’t be horse racing proficiently one day and then switch to car racing the next and expect to not have pretty dramatic consequences.
I think it's an EXCELLENT analogy.

Old 08-29-2022, 11:26 AM

17,612 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
In what world can you not have a charger at home?

MB has an all electric car that does 350 on a charge. It will charge from 10% to 80% in 30 minutes. The SUV version does 300 miles.

If you live in an apartment complex. You going to send a dropcord down from the 20th floor?

If you live in an area with an HOA, it's possible they might step on it. They do on everything else, it seems.

Townhomes. in NoVA, they built those places in the late 70's when they had a huge housing boom.. Each townhome has 2 parking spots.

I can't imagine that car charges in 30 minutes on 120v. I doubt it could do it on a 'normal' 240v charger.

I can see it on one of the superchargers. here in SC.. There's not many of them. You can find them in the big cities. Greenville, Spartanburg, Columbia, etc.. But, like where UpstateJohn and I live.. The nearest REGULAR charger is 15 miles away. (Spinx on the corner of Harrison Bridge) and I think it only has 2 slots.

And.. I don't think anyone will have a supercharger at home.

Here's the other thing. over the summer when it was real hot, you had people being asked to turn off/up their AC to help conserve power and not overload the grid. but it'll be no problem to add millions of cars charging to the grid?

Anyway.. As far as NASCAR goes.. I still think it's smart to get in on the ground floor. And, racing breeds innovation, so, it's a good thing if they run a series like this because I do believe that the innovation in racing will make the jump to production vehicles.

Put Robin Pemberton as a crew chief and give him a very light rulebook. He'll likely have a car going 500 miles on a single charge at 170mph within a month.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If you live in an apartment complex. You going to send a dropcord down from the 20th floor?

If you live in an area with an HOA, it's possible they might step on it. They do on everything else, it seems.

Townhomes. in NoVA, they built those places in the late 70's when they had a huge housing boom.. Each townhome has 2 parking spots.

I can't imagine that car charges in 30 minutes on 120v. I doubt it could do it on a 'normal' 240v charger.

I can see it on one of the superchargers. here in SC.. There's not many of them. You can find them in the big cities. Greenville, Spartanburg, Columbia, etc.. But, like where UpstateJohn and I live.. The nearest REGULAR charger is 15 miles away. (Spinx on the corner of Harrison Bridge) and I think it only has 2 slots.

And.. I don't think anyone will have a supercharger at home.

Here's the other thing. over the summer when it was real hot, you had people being asked to turn off/up their AC to help conserve power and not overload the grid. but it'll be no problem to add millions of cars charging to the grid?

Anyway.. As far as NASCAR goes.. I still think it's smart to get in on the ground floor. And, racing breeds innovation, so, it's a good thing if they run a series like this because I do believe that the innovation in racing will make the jump to production vehicles.

Put Robin Pemberton as a crew chief and give him a very light rulebook. He'll likely have a car going 500 miles on a single charge at 170mph within a month.
I still can’t see nascar jumping to this format but that’s me. As far as racing breeding innovation that ship has sailed. Current automotive production is changing daily through technology and innovation and NASCAR is going to be experiencing a gigantic learning curve going from ICE to EV. I believe currently batteries weigh more than an engine so not only will the engine guys be going away there is going to be one heck of a learning curve with chassis and suspension that will be determined on battery placement.

NASCAR has been fading away, the cost to develop an EV COT will be enormously expensive and given the current atmosphere where the big news in NASCAR is the continued loss of big corporate sponsorships why change, continue on with the novelty of ICE.

On the off topic of charging, I agree there are more unanswered questions then there are answers and that is why Hybrids are the direction the automakers need to concentrate on. Like Henry Ford and the Model T, give the average American a modestly priced hybrid or EV and they will win us over.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I am in a two story also so I would only be able to use 110V, it would cost quite a bit to run power down for a charger so I would be slow charging. It is not going to be easy for many to purchase an EV if they have no means to charge at home and for those of us that travel quite a bit until charging becomes available I don’t want to spend my vacations mapping out stops and charging stations.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:30 AM

9,520 posts, read 9,836,609 times
I live in the same area as Labonte. I've had a level 2 charger in my home for 8 years, I live in an HOA.

There are several FREE chargers in downtown Greenville. FREE!! You do have to pay for parking, unless you go after 5.

Tesla is about to open their SuperCharger network to all EV's. More companies are installing supercharger types in our area.

Like I told someone in another thread, EV's are coming no matter how much we whine about it. We need to accept it. Hopefully, smarter people will realize that forcing EV's on us is not good, but let the market decide.

As it was said earlier, NASCAR embracing this technology will hopefully lead to innovation that will make all EV's better.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I still can’t see nascar jumping to this format but that’s me.

No one is talking about them moving to this format, at least not anytime soon. This would be an add-on series, like the truck series or like Formula-E, I believe it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I live in the same area as Labonte. I've had a level 2 charger in my home for 8 years, I live in an HOA.

There are several FREE chargers in downtown Greenville. FREE!! You do have to pay for parking, unless you go after 5.

Tesla is about to open their SuperCharger network to all EV's. More companies are installing supercharger types in our area.

Like I told someone in another thread, EV's are coming no matter how much we whine about it. We need to accept it. Hopefully, smarter people will realize that forcing EV's on us is not good, but let the market decide.

As it was said earlier, NASCAR embracing this technology will hopefully lead to innovation that will make all EV's better.

Yes.. However.. Yesterday, I drove from Gray Court to Mauldin to Seneca, to Lavonia back to Gray Court.

It did clock in under 250 miles.. But.. Not a single charger along that route there that I know of. Certainly not a supercharger that could have recharged me in a sane amount of time.

Not to mention, that my understanding is that Tesla, at least, requires a subscription to be able to supercharge. You don't pay extra, you're limited to standard charging. I could be wrong about that.

But, anyway.. The infrastructure isn't here yet. I agree, EVs are coming.. But the problems need to be worked out. I can do the above trip on a single tank of gas. Hell, I could have tossed driving over to Abbeville in there as well. And if I didn't have a full tank? No problem, I probably passed 500 gas stations.

I didn't pass a single supercharger. At least, so far as I know.

Old 08-30-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
No one is talking about them moving to this format, at least not anytime soon. This would be an add-on series, like the truck series or like Formula-E, I believe it is.

Yes.. However.. Yesterday, I drove from Gray Court to Mauldin to Seneca, to Lavonia back to Gray Court.

It did clock in under 250 miles.. But.. Not a single charger along that route there that I know of. Certainly not a supercharger that could have recharged me in a sane amount of time.

Not to mention, that my understanding is that Tesla, at least, requires a subscription to be able to supercharge. You don't pay extra, you're limited to standard charging. I could be wrong about that.

But, anyway.. The infrastructure isn't here yet. I agree, EVs are coming.. But the problems need to be worked out. I can do the above trip on a single tank of gas. Hell, I could have tossed driving over to Abbeville in there as well. And if I didn't have a full tank? No problem, I probably passed 500 gas stations.

I didn't pass a single supercharger. At least, so far as I know.
They are out there, we have a Tesla charging station hidden behind a burger joint in a retail plaza right off of I-95. The only way you would know it is if you had the App. There is a commercial charger hidden nearby also, but you have to download an App to use. My buddy who has an EV doesn’t understand why you just can’t put your debit card in which makes perfect sense to me.

In regards to NASCAR, even if it is an add-on series don’t you think it is an added distraction for the NASCAR ICE garages? Sponsorship dollars are disappearing dramatically for all the series and teams, who would subsidize the new series?

Maybe, just maybe if NASCAR remained with the ICE format it would increase interest as a sport when everything else is going EV. Just a crazy thought.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
They are out there, we have a Tesla charging station hidden behind a burger joint in a retail plaza right off of I-95. The only way you would know it is if you had the App. There is a commercial charger hidden nearby also, but you have to download an App to use. My buddy who has an EV doesn’t understand why you just can’t put your debit card in which makes perfect sense to me.

In regards to NASCAR, even if it is an add-on series don’t you think it is an added distraction for the NASCAR ICE garages? Sponsorship dollars are disappearing dramatically for all the series and teams, who would subsidize the new series?

Maybe, just maybe if NASCAR remained with the ICE format it would increase interest as a sport when everything else is going EV. Just a crazy thought.

NE Georgia.. There's just not much there.

But, as for the "NASCAR-E" series.. no, I really don't think so. I think it probably starts with many of the established teams, but quickly moves to a specialized set of teams, much like the truck series.

I kinda suspect that it's.. A level below the truck series. ARCA level.

Then the question becomes.. Where does it run? Is it a companion series to Cup? I doubt it. SOME overlap? Probably, but.. I'd say minimal. Though, I think the thought right now is that it's a race run before the cup race. And if that's the case, you've got to bring your cup teams in.

Likely needs to be a short series.. 15-20 races tops. Smaller tracks for the most part. Fields in the 20-25 cars range. I don't really see a Daytona in the cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing