Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 06:56 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times

Advertisements

I just don't think the movie was made for racing enthusiasts and approached it as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 12:34 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,739 times
I can agree that the racing theme was a bit diluted, as well as some historical in-accuracy

But still it was a great movie. The acting was just too good and the filming looked like it was on-frame

Granted, if racing as an entire medium could only be as mainstream again in order to re-educate the newer generation of petrol heads and motorsports enthusiasts(I am also including myself in here to avoid seeing like I am going for a "talking down" approach) that way the themes don't get too comfortable just going for the stereotypical movie formula.

I could see Colin Mcrae getting his own movie perhaps next.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:44 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Netflix also has a documentary "Shelby American" that is not bad.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 08-31-2023, 02:18 AM

Ok, don't get me wrong Ford V Ferrari was great and all, but I think Gran Turismo was even more spectacular

Old 08-31-2023, 05:40 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Ok, don't get me wrong Ford V Ferrari was great and all, but I think Gran Turismo was even more spectacular
GT was a exciting movie to watch for race fans and non-race fans. Great cinematography and CGI.

Old 09-05-2023, 07:23 PM

5,125 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Did you happen to see the trailer for Ferrari while seeing GT? Due out in December.

Old 09-07-2023, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Did you happen to see the trailer for Ferrari while seeing GT? Due out in December.
Nope, but just checked it out on YT, my gosh beautifully-presented trailer

Old 09-21-2023, 08:53 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I haven't seen the movie, but should give it a look. I was a teenager back when Ferrari vs Ford was actually happening, and while I loved my Mustang fastback w/ a 289 and 4 on the floor, had been following the races in Europe seemingly from birth. Shelby was a genius, a one of a kind, and I agree that Ken Miles made a huge difference in Ford's racing success. Even today, the Ford Cobra is a car that can go head to head w/ most of the latest supercars.

When Ford decided to get involved w/ the big European races, no one gave them a dime's worth of a chance. But they were committed in a big way, and had a couple of high output V8's already in production. My first job was with a Ford Dealership where one of the mechanics had a red 63 Ford Galaxy convertible w/ the 2 carb 427" motor. Our service manager also raced an Austin Healey bug eye Sprite w/ a full race 427"Ford V8 shoehorned into it on the drag strips.

There was a huge Chevy vs Ford rivalry at the time, but for some reason I always like the Fords. When we popped the hood on the Galaxy we were surprised by how compact that 427" engine was, mostly due to its short stroke design that made it able to rev more quickly than the other big V8's at the time. GT-40, Dan Gurney, Carroll Shelby, Ford Cobra....so many people who were highly gifted and visionary.

Last edited by stephenMM; 09-21-2023 at 09:10 PM..

Old 03-22-2024, 08:12 PM

38 posts, read 16,642 times
it was one of the best racing movies in recent times. Right up there with Rush that is probably the best racing movie ever.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:32 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole2 View Post
it was one of the best racing movies in recent times. Right up there with Rush that is probably the best racing movie ever.

I just watched the DVD I got from the local library and liked it a lot but I have a question: I noticed that after they'd showed a race start with the overhead lights as used today, I noticed the season ending Japanese GP was started by a flagman. I wonder if the FIA would ever have allowed two different starting methods given how fussy they are with the rules?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing