Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2024, 12:47 PM

410 posts, read 439,680 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am American who was watching an older news story from a few years ago where they had an Australian flag on their property. It said the "body corporate" wanted it removed. I was curious, was that terminology a Homeowners Association (HOA) like we have in the United States or might this likely have been referring to a local government authority? Not certain the outcome of the case, it's a few years old. The story talked about them getting approval in years prior. Are there HOAs in Australia? I personally find the idea of them abhorrent though I understand their benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 03:01 PM

4,237 posts, read 4,905,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Hi everyone,

I am American who was watching an older news story from a few years ago where they had an Australian flag on their property. It said the "body corporate" wanted it removed. I was curious, was that terminology a Homeowners Association (HOA) like we have in the United States or might this likely have been referring to a local government authority? Not certain the outcome of the case, it's a few years old. The story talked about them getting approval in years prior. Are there HOAs in Australia? I personally find the idea of them abhorrent though I understand their benefits.
I would think the flag was not actually on their property it was on common property. Stratas/body corporates manage common property in a block of units and would be the comparable to an HOA. HOAs, the sort that tell people how long the grass has to be on their lawn in their house don't really exist in Australia because gated communities (estates) of freestanding homes are not at all common.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:19 PM

410 posts, read 439,680 times
Interesting, thanks, The flag was placed in their back yard. The husband was in the RAAF in years past. I have no idea if there would be easements or common space in the back. There also seemed to be issues with the neighbor. Was surprised to hear these organizations also exist in Australia. All very interesting. Don't know the current situation.

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-a...e-466cd59045e3

Old 05-04-2024, 02:03 AM

1,477 posts, read 1,350,450 times
Looks like they could be freestanding townhouses, not houses on separately owned blocks of land. They’re not that uncommon in some cities, particularly for retirement “villages.”

Old 05-04-2024, 07:14 PM

6,050 posts, read 5,978,228 times
Not unusual in such settings I fear. The flying of the flag, does appear just an excuse for other reasons, which don't have to be very much in order to antagonise the couple , possibly to the degree that they will move.

"Other reasons' was indeed mentioned in the article. All the more reason why people need to tread with care, moving into such a facility. Or indeed anywhere with a shared wall , town house setting with or without a body corporate. I speak from experience. There is no accounting for the small and narrow thinking or illogical niggles of people and entitlement issues or indeed can be due to the undertaking of things best wished hushed up.

Last edited by the troubadour; 05-04-2024 at 07:59 PM..

Old 05-05-2024, 07:07 PM

4,237 posts, read 4,905,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Interesting, thanks, The flag was placed in their back yard. The husband was in the RAAF in years past. I have no idea if there would be easements or common space in the back. There also seemed to be issues with the neighbor. Was surprised to hear these organizations also exist in Australia. All very interesting. Don't know the current situation.

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-a...e-466cd59045e3
Yeah, installing permanent fixtures is generally not allowed. There's no real way to get around a strata/HOA where you have multiple property owners on a single piece of land. It would be impossible to manage otherwise.

Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,350,450 times
A flag flying on a windy day would be pretty noisy; not just the "flapping" of the flag but also intermittent contact between the halyard and the pole.

Old Today, 07:02 PM

6,050 posts, read 5,978,228 times
Really Australia begs believe these days in what people find as irritants. The' big issues' go un/under reported . Forums are a fairly typical example of this.
But as for strata title properties, I have only experience renting in one some twenty years back. I experienced no problem, but a neighbour did so with her lovely array of pot plants outside , which over time was deemed a possible hazard, if fire brigade required rapid access in time of emergency. (although there was ample room and situation was in place longer than a year before some one raised the issue at a meeting. Most complaints were around costs required such as replacing all wooden stairways and the like.

In a villa type situation, not sure if I can see an issue with a properly secured flag to a pole. Indeed in many countries in Europe for example this can be the norm. Denmark comes to mind.

Although not something I would do, have we become really such a small focused country that will give time to such trivial things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand