Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 01:24 AM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times

Advertisements

Three decades ahead of schedule. Actual births are in decline. Quite probably something to do with the housing crisis. Amazing how little is being said about the increase in population so rapidly is being said in mainstream media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 03:53 AM

One positive thing to come about from the population debate, is the government reduction, of I believe 90,000 (alleged) International students. Lagging Canada and UK in this matter but better late than never. Time to check just how many are actually partaking in what they proposed to do in Australia.

Old 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Not sure what you mean by “ahead of schedule”?
Australia has been growing quite consistently in the last 30 years, and gone up by 1.5x since then.
Of course the population increases are biased towards the capital cities and their immediate satellites.
Places like the Gold Coast, and Mandurah near Perth have experienced exponential growth.
Melbourne is also projected to go past Sydney in a few years time too. (although most people from NSW know that the Central Coast isn’t really part of Sydney, so it already has gone past)
Regional Australia, and in particular Northern Australia is underpopulated imo, and where many more millions could consider as a valid alternative.

Last edited by Derek41; 01-31-2024 at 01:25 PM..

Old 01-31-2024, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Not sure what you mean by “ahead of schedule”?
Australia has been growing quite consistently in the last 30 years, and gone up by 1.5x since then.
Of course the population increases are biased towards the capital cities and their immediate satellites.
Places like the Gold Coast, and Mandurah near Perth have experienced exponential growth.
Melbourne is also projected to go past Sydney in a few years time too. (although most people from NSW know that the Central Coast isn’t really part of Sydney, so it already has gone past)
Regional Australia, and in particular Northern Australia is underpopulated imo, and where many more millions could consider as a valid alternative.
What I meant was prior to turbo population growth became policy , our population was projected to reach the level we are now at, thirty years later.

It have often been cited that Northern Australia could take in vast numbers of additional people. Not sure just what increased numbers would do in the tropical regions though. Already note the crime issues , expense of living, social depravity, poorer medical facilities and getting people to remain in location in centres like Darwin (where population growth remains minimal, regardless of immigration levels.)

I was in Mandurah a month or so ago. I thought it looked quite deprived area , looking at houses away from the over elaborate structures on the canal. Not to mention a continuing social issues, long noted around the drug issue still clearly visible. It may well be cheaper to purchase a house though, The train connection to Perth would make it more attractive for those requiring to go to Perth.

Old 01-31-2024, 04:24 PM

Another thought on the matter. It was usually developing world countries, where populations were difficult , or near impossible to control, until development.

Australia now has above the growth of most of the developed world, as well as increasingly more than some of the developing world.

It's hard to fathom. Just where are the benefits.? Are social services are being taxed . Fair to say living conditions are falling. Crime getting worse. Overseas Crime syndicates clearly visible in illegal activity. (some sanctioned such as the laundering of ill gotten money into housing)

Old 01-31-2024, 08:32 PM

377 posts, read 94,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Another thought on the matter. It was usually developing world countries, where populations were difficult , or near impossible to control, until development.

Australia now has above the growth of most of the developed world, as well as increasingly more than some of the developing world.

It's hard to fathom. Just where are the benefits.? Are social services are being taxed . Fair to say living conditions are falling. Crime getting worse. Overseas Crime syndicates clearly visible in illegal activity. (some sanctioned such as the laundering of ill gotten money into housing)
I think the cause is not having a viable alternative to growth orientated economics, and the benefit is not having to face a slowdown in growth.

Old 02-01-2024, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
I think the cause is not having a viable alternative to growth orientated economics, and the benefit is not having to face a slowdown in growth.
While destroying our nation in the process?
Collapsing living standards. (for increasing numbers) A number of highly dubious people getting into the country seemingly unchecked. I suppose drug production adds to GDP. As any activity does. Happy days.

Old 02-01-2024, 03:08 AM

1,222 posts, read 720,410 times
Quote:
What I meant was prior to turbo population growth became policy , our population was projected to reach the level we are now at, thirty years later.

It have often been cited that Northern Australia could take in vast numbers of additional people. Not sure just what increased numbers would do in the tropical regions though. Already note the crime issues , expense of living, social depravity, poorer medical facilities and getting people to remain in location in centres like Darwin (where population growth remains minimal, regardless of immigration levels.)

I was in Mandurah a month or so ago. I thought it looked quite deprived area , looking at houses away from the over elaborate structures on the canal. Not to mention a continuing social issues, long noted around the drug issue still clearly visible. It may well be cheaper to purchase a house though, The train connection to Perth would make it more attractive for those requiring to go to Perth.
Well Troubs... you've lived in Darwin, so I'm sure you are abreast of all the reasons why the place aint that attractive to internal and external migrants....
Quite simply, regions have to provide equible affordable housing, employment opportunities outside of the boom and bust cycle, and people wanna feel safe from anti social and crime issues.... not to mention the cost of living in the deep north...
The new age 21st century Govts are nowadays hamstrung enviromentally, Indigenous affairs wise and electorally re approving Deep North Projects... so no longer attractive as a place to relocate too.... and thats without mentioning a climate that can be 'tough' !

Old 02-01-2024, 03:10 PM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
While destroying our nation in the process?
Collapsing living standards. (for increasing numbers) A number of highly dubious people getting into the country seemingly unchecked. I suppose drug production adds to GDP. As any activity does. Happy days.
That's why you need to look at Canada do exactly the opposite.

Old 02-01-2024, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
That's why you need to look at Canada do exactly the opposite.
Canada took a long time to act but Australia should have learnt. One may conclude that there is more behind it. My fear is the growth of Chinese Crime Networks is getting out of proportion in this state anyway. I observe what is going on in this state , especially around inner city, and it fills me with trepidation. I don't mean to pick on a particular group, city been told that it is racist to single out a particular group. I'm sure it is not this group alone. The matter crosses ethnicity , but there has been a steady growth over past six months which at least could do with monitoring. I get the impression easy money is the attraction and a plentiful supply of international students are help out as well in the illegal business.

We had a similar situation perhaps a decade back which came to the attention of law enforcement. Never went away but seemed to be far less conspicuous than recent times.

The ages of some people seemingly playing a part and appearance does make one wonder with regards to our immigration policy. Just how is so much organized crime is being allowed into the country? How long can a lid be kept on a break out in violence with what is at stake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand