Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 09:50 PM

6,037 posts, read 5,944,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfeehan View Post
I watched a few documentaries on the methamphetamine epidemic in Australia and just this week, an Australian friend told me how his family had to evict their brother and charge for him assault after meth-induced rage.

Apparently, it's one of the highest users of meth in the world and the users. From the documentaries I've seen, it's doesn't have the "poor people" stigma that meth in the States has and doctors, judges, accountants etc... are using it.
My partner was close to being cleaned up by a woman, who appeared to be high on a substance, we now believe to be meth, who went through a red light in Perth a few years back.

Very common in West Australia. A state with high incomes due to the mines, with easy access due to home manufacture and the ease to make. While cheap enough to buy, the meth 'industry' was said to be of the value of two billion $ Aust back in 2017.

It is the value today, but fair to say has substantially increased. There are other drugs as well, in my opinion these will increase, as cartels seek ever higher returns on greater value drugs. (overseas increasing in presence)

For so many to be manufacturing it in their lounge rooms, kitchens and what have you it provides a very healthy tax free income to a range of people.

I know in America it is termed the 'Poor man's cocaine". It is perhaps more widely consumed across the social classes, but still playing havoc with vulnerable communities, such as the Aboriginal. It is very common in our rural towns , not only WA but other states as well. As if the Aboriginal community hasn't already enough to contend with rampant alcohol abuse and entrenched social issues.

But I haven't answered why in WA's case it is so prominent. We can blame (IMO) a former Liberal (Republican in US parlance) contributing to what occurred when it re criminalized marijuana in 2008. I recall thinking this was a regressive move at the time.

So erasing the legal distinction between marijuana and other drugs. Meth far easier to make than the growing of Marijuana and more lucrative as well.

The rest is history as they say. But its growth and influence over society can only lead to severe future problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veshyvonny View Post
1. Because are mental health s, so people resort to other wsystem is lacking (tough guy culture convinced aussies depression isnt serious so people resort to other ways)
2. Cocaine is very expensive here
3. So is alcohol
Thing is it is so available. Every street. Easy to purchase on line. People walk to their 'meth dealer' in my area . Previously a lot was delivered by e bike or scooter, but that seems to have dropped off.

The people doing this are for the most part highly disciplined, very well presented, mostly an air of respectability, usually have a dog, young children rather common.
Not sure what tough guy Aussie culture has to do with it, though?

Old 04-25-2023, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Because it's cheap.
/thread.
Cheap and nasty and easy to both make and/or acquire.

Old 04-26-2023, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Yes i still read about it from time to time. The next biggest thing however is Fentanyl which is the source of the biggest overdoses in the US at the moment. I have to say though working in the construction industry and the amount of users of these hard drugs is insane. Something that i never seen in Ireland. You might get the odd alcoholic but here you get just as many alcoholics but a great number of guys who use hard drugs just to try and deal with life. I don't know how they function, such a depressing lifestyle, they are rarely happy unless they are on it. What's more strange is the amount of men in their 40's and 50's who use it.
Do these men on construction sites actually tell you that they are on meth? In my experience, everything around the subject of meth is denial and silence. Obviously some can't hide it, but surely they would not be allowed onto a building site? Would those high functioning users actually admit to it? I know people who are making it. I don't mean those around my locality, but people who were once friends. I try to keep them at distance now where possible. None admit to it obviously, but witnessed the change in wealth stats, to working only part time, but have paid off mortgage many years ahead of time, other long holiday in an expensive location, which would not have been able to afford previously and things that turned out to be lies, which would not have featured in previous times.

Some of these worked in areas that definitely knew the menace and danger of drugs in our society. All so very sad to witness this drug go so mainstream.

Old 04-26-2023, 12:55 AM

537 posts, read 443,644 times
The local sheriff and his head jailer are friends. The jail was built for 150 residents, and they have about 250 any given night. Of those in the county jail, about 90% of the inmates are there for something to do with meth. Either selling it, making it or stealing to buy meth.

The problem is that meth users don't see how it's wrecking them physically and mentally. Drug clinics know how to get heroin users straight. But every individual reacts to meth in different ways. And it takes as long as a full year to get the meth out of their brains after going straight. These drug addicts don't see it as being wrong to use such a drug. And many of the meth users don't want to get off the stuff.

Now that fentanyl is in the marketplace, it's even cheaper. And the meth users that switch over are simply dead men walking. It's a matter of when they're going to die instead of if they're going to die from an overdose. How downright dumb can they be?

Old 04-26-2023, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
The local sheriff and his head jailer are friends. The jail was built for 150 residents, and they have about 250 any given night. Of those in the county jail, about 90% of the inmates are there for something to do with meth. Either selling it, making it or stealing to buy meth.

The problem is that meth users don't see how it's wrecking them physically and mentally. Drug clinics know how to get heroin users straight. But every individual reacts to meth in different ways. And it takes as long as a full year to get the meth out of their brains after going straight. These drug addicts don't see it as being wrong to use such a drug. And many of the meth users don't want to get off the stuff.

Now that fentanyl is in the marketplace, it's even cheaper. And the meth users that switch over are simply dead men walking. It's a matter of when they're going to die instead of if they're going to die from an overdose. How downright dumb can they be?
The 'normalization' in many minds of many with regards to this drug is very sad. Some seem to infer that alcohol is worse.

Imo while a drug so easy to make, that offers a lucrative return in manufacturing nothing will change. It impacts on society in so many ways taking us to places best not visited.

Old 04-26-2023, 03:24 AM

4,217 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post

But I haven't answered why in WA's case it is so prominent. We can blame (IMO) a former Liberal (Republican in US parlance) contributing to what occurred when it re criminalized marijuana in 2008. I recall thinking this was a regressive move at the time.

So erasing the legal distinction between marijuana and other drugs. Meth far easier to make than the growing of Marijuana and more lucrative as well.

The rest is history as they say. But its growth and influence over society can only lead to severe future problems.
The war on drugs has been an abject failure. Instead of accepting it as a failure the police ask for more resources. Utter madness.

The experience of Portugal should be guiding policy, not 1970s style heavy-handed penalties.It's a health crisis in most of the developed world.

Old 04-26-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
The war on drugs has been an abject failure. Instead of accepting it as a failure the police ask for more resources. Utter madness.

The experience of Portugal should be guiding policy, not 1970s style heavy-handed penalties.It's a health crisis in most of the developed world.
There needs to be a decriminalization of meth (Ice) at the very least. Remove the profit motive and remove the issues around it.
The war on those addicted obviously will not work. That is a health issue. But not those making a fortune living in mansions or the growing 'international' cartels ever increasing their influence over the drug trade. Or those of all walks of society (but often in the higher status) feeling very comfortable with their involvement of the corruption of those that could make a difference in turning this thing around.

Portugal is always cited. It is far more than a health crisis, when so much of this highly addictive drug (potentially) is on our streets. Most likely knocked the profits of those tainted fir a six.

Again $2 Billion of meth use way back in 17 just in WA , (fair to say far more now) is indicative of the seriousness of this problem in a state with such a small population.

Old 04-29-2023, 12:59 AM

1,223 posts, read 720,811 times
See, thing is... I dont see it... maybe I dont mix in those circles of drug ****ed people... dunno...
40 years in Construction, including all the biggest projects of the last 20 odd years of the 'mining boom'...WA, NT and QLD, yet I don't really see it...
Biggest 'issue' in Construction has been ( and still is ) alcohol...
But with the breathos at pre start, the random urine tests etc of the last 10 - 15 years, its way tougher to be a boozehound/druggie on the big Projects that it once was....

Old 04-29-2023, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
See, thing is... I dont see it... maybe I dont mix in those circles of drug ****ed people... dunno...
40 years in Construction, including all the biggest projects of the last 20 odd years of the 'mining boom'...WA, NT and QLD, yet I don't really see it...
Biggest 'issue' in Construction has been ( and still is ) alcohol...
But with the breathos at pre start, the random urine tests etc of the last 10 - 15 years, its way tougher to be a boozehound/druggie on the big Projects that it once was....
Thing I'm confused about is the extent of people manufacturing this grub drug. It crosses usual societal boundaries and overwhelming in its presence. It is in Perth anyhow and Country WA , I'll leave others to comment on their states, but in general there is a great silence around what is going down and denial in many quarters. Just how exactly did it become so prominent in so many areas?

I note how the tone has changed in reporting over the past three or so years.
It has become more a AFP matter, meaning borders , rather than curtailing the local considerable contribution to which local media will not address the situation.

I have my doubts about workers admitting to using meth on construction sites. While I'm sure some do, surely if obvious they would be sacked on the spot, for potentially putting themselves and fellow work mates in danger?

What I do believe is the present status quo is highly attractive in enticing a 'different' category of incomer to this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand