Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 09:31 PM

50,960 posts, read 24,450,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I'm 72 years old and have never heard of "Christian Nationalists", nor have I ever met any individual or group who is interested in putting Christian values and practices into the government. Anything like that would not be possible anyway because of the U.S Constitution. It clearly states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.........". The Supreme Court has ruled multiple times that it is unconstitutional for public schools to lead school children in prayer or Bible reading, even if its on a voluntary basis.

That's the end of that.
Actually, it should be the end of it...but clearly it is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 09:35 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times
Quote:
I'm 72 years old and have never heard of "Christian Nationalists", nor have I ever met any individual or group who is interested in putting Christian values and practices into the government. Anything like that would not be possible anyway because of the U.S Constitution. It clearly states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.........". The Supreme Court has ruled multiple times that it is unconstitutional for public schools to lead school children in prayer or Bible reading even if its on a voluntary basis. It's not going to happen unless the Constitution is amended.

People can conjecture whatever they wish, but the law of the land says what it says.

Words mean whatever the people in power want them to mean.

With enough far-right Supreme Court justices, we could easily end up with a theocracy.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:48 PM

19,847 posts, read 22,747,670 times
Quote:
I'm 72 years old and have never heard of "Christian Nationalists", nor have I ever met any individual or group who is interested in putting Christian values and practices into the government. I do see that some state representatives in Congress would like to do exactly that, but it is impossible for them to do it as things stand.

Anything like that is not possible because of the U.S Constitution, which clearly states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.........". The Supreme Court has ruled multiple times that it is unconstitutional for public schools to lead school children in prayer or Bible reading, even if its on a voluntary basis. Putting Christian values or any other religious values into the Federal government is not going to happen unless the Constitution is amended.

People can conjecture whatever they wish, but the law of the land says what it says.
It's on our doorstep, much to the chagrin of our founding fathers that were Deists. I have often had conversations with people that truly think we should be a nation that follows christian law. When I ask "How many times does the word 'God' appear in the Constitution", I get anywhere from 'in God we Trust', one nation under God', and 'in God's name'....

Seriously. They have no clue.

Old 03-31-2024, 02:31 PM

30,209 posts, read 11,863,986 times
Quote:
I'm 72 years old and have never heard of "Christian Nationalists", nor have I ever met any individual or group who is interested in putting Christian values and practices into the government. I do see that some state representatives in Congress would like to do exactly that, but it is impossible for them to do it as things stand.

Anything like that is not possible because of the U.S Constitution, which clearly states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.........". The Supreme Court has ruled multiple times that it is unconstitutional for public schools to lead school children in prayer or Bible reading even if its on a voluntary basis. Putting Christian values or any other religious values into the Federal government is not going to happen unless the Constitution is amended.

I have debated this on the CD POC forum. First of all Trump is selling MAGA bibles now. He is all in on pushing Christianity into politics. Second. You hear lots of right wing politicians talking of America being a christian nation. And lastly Speaker Johnson said recently there is nothing in the constitution about separation of church and state. He is also one who believes America is a christian nation. So it seems they are ready to attack whether religion can be pushed into public schools as well as the government and break down peoples resistance to it. Yes it says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" however it seems like there is some wiggle room and what might be something the SCOTUS will rule in favor of. And look they overturned Roe v Wade. Its certainly possible for them to revisit earlier SCOTUS rulings on religion and decide religion is ok in the schools. Normally the SCOTUS avoids overturning previous SCOTUS rulings. This one does not seem to worry about that.

And believe me there are people working day and night trying to come up with a novel approach that will thread the needle and be something the SCOTUS is comfortable ruling in their favor on.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:06 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,403,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I have debated this on the CD POC forum. First of all Trump is selling MAGA bibles now. He is all in on pushing Christianity into politics. Second. You hear lots of right wing politicians talking of America being a christian nation. And lastly Speaker Johnson said recently there is nothing in the constitution about separation of church and state. He is also one who believes America is a christian nation. So it seems they are ready to attack whether religion can be pushed into public schools as well as the government and break down peoples resistance to it. Yes it says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" however it seems like there is some wiggle room and what might be something the SCOTUS will rule in favor of. And look they overturned Roe v Wade. Its certainly possible for them to revisit earlier SCOTUS rulings on religion and decide religion is ok in the schools. Normally the SCOTUS avoids overturning previous SCOTUS rulings. This one does not seem to worry about that.

And believe me there are people working day and night trying to come up with a novel approach that will thread the needle and be something the SCOTUS is comfortable ruling in their favor on.
That is kind of the point of my other thread.

Supposedly, there are more atheists and agnostics now than at any time in our nation's history, but we are at a point where Christian laws and ways of thinking are in the driver's seat, in spite of the religion having fewer adherents.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:34 PM

30,209 posts, read 11,863,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Supposedly, there are more atheists and agnostics now than at any time in our nation's history, but we are at a point where Christian laws and ways of thinking are in the driver's seat, in spite of the religion having fewer adherents.
How many openly atheist members of congress are there? That should explain the above.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:40 PM

20,077 posts, read 13,535,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

The size of a group doesn't reliably equate to its influence.

You ask why Christian thought is in the drivers seat -- well, the Christian fundamentalist population is at best a third of the US total population and far less than that elsewhere in the world plus heavily concentrated in the Bible Belt, but because of synergies with political parties and certain entrenched structural advantages and too much complacency in the rest of the electorate, have already managed to erode and outright reverse settled law in this country and could very well get their disgraced champion back in the driver's seat. That religious group has had outsized influence for decades now, ever since the 1980s at least. And they have become morally bereft, or at least abandoned any pretense of ethics and integrity. You can get get the Overton window to move quite a bit when you are willing to shamelessly promote all sorts of unethical and disingenuous behavior and, in fact, do it in the name of god.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:37 PM

16,813 posts, read 5,014,859 times
Quote:
Interesting, as a German, I have heard about these people, and I do not really follow the news in the US.

Quote:
Anything like that is not possible because of the U.S Constitution, which clearly states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.........". The Supreme Court has ruled multiple times that it is unconstitutional for public schools to lead school children in prayer or Bible reading even if its on a voluntary basis. Putting Christian values or any other religious values into the Federal government is not going to happen unless the Constitution is amended.

That is what we Germans said about the Weimarer Constitution.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:41 AM

20,077 posts, read 13,535,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Someone or other, a German I think, recently said words to the effect that the US finds itself in the place Germany once was ... where a third of the population favors totalitarianism, a third is opposed, and a third is content to watch it play out.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what the Constitution says ... fascists are lawless and will run roughshod over it. They have worked for at least a generation now weakening the checks, balances and safeguards against that happening, and polarizing the populace. They are on the cusp of realizing their wildest dreams.

Old 04-04-2024, 10:07 AM

5,546 posts, read 3,956,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Interesting, as a German, I have heard about these people, and I do not really follow the news in the US.

Many people in America hold this delusional belief that we're special, immune to the tragedies that've befallen other nations. American Exceptionalism. Let's see how much longer that myth can endure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism