Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 11:06 AM

5,464 posts, read 3,911,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
In his sermon on the mount Jesus said, “He makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust” (ESV).

All Bible reading Christians know that this is true. So do atheists and agnostics. We live in the material world, a world of ego.

Why should it bother me how someone else perceives his blessings and sorrows? It's not my problem.
Callous/indifferent take, if I'm even understanding you properly (I'm not sure that I am)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 11:45 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
So without being sure you understand you've decided it's "callous/indifferent?"

Old 02-23-2024, 12:40 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
In his sermon on the mount Jesus said, “He makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust” (ESV).

All Bible reading Christians know that this is true. So do atheists and agnostics. We live in the material world, a world of ego.

Why should it bother me how someone else perceives his blessings and sorrows? It's not my problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Callous/indifferent take, if I'm even understanding you properly (I'm not sure that I am)
Quote:
The bold sure projects callous indifference prima facie!

Old 02-23-2024, 09:09 PM

OK.

Because I don't get concerned about how a stranger perceives his situation, I am callous/indifferent in your opinion.

To me you sound a lot like an evangelical.

But why is it of concern to you? And are you certain without any questions what it means to me? It's a pretty quick judgment.

Old 02-24-2024, 01:03 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
OK.

Because I don't get concerned about how a stranger perceives his situation, I am callous/indifferent in your opinion.

But why is it of concern to you? And are you certain without any questions what it means to me? It's a pretty quick judgment.
Prima Facie means "based on the first impression; accepted as correct until proved otherwise."

Old 02-24-2024, 07:46 AM

OK. Because you said so. I get it.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:57 AM

5,464 posts, read 3,911,489 times
Quote:
Your post was composed pretty disastrously, so, yeah, I wasn't entirely sure if I was understanding you correctly. I also wasn't sure if I could rightly assume someone to be so heartless. Indifference to someone else's life satisfaction is contemptible. And I say that as an atheist, for whatever that's worth.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:46 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
OK.

That is nice, and very big of you that you don't give a rat's behind about how other people receive their blessings.

We aren't to judge.

It reminds me of that old joke about the Dr. that goes into see his patient and says he has good news and bad news...

Dr. asks the patient which one he wants to hear first and the patient says to go ahead and give him the bad news...

Dr. says to the patient..."You have terminal, metastatic cancer. You have less than a month to live".

Patient then says... "Well then what's the good news?"

Dr. grins and says..."You know that hot nurse that is taking care of you? I'm screwing her."

Old 04-06-2024, 09:16 PM
Status: "Virtue is more to be feared than vice," (set 13 days ago)

14 posts, read 6,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
...and I agreed with the sentiment:

"People who think that their god grants them special favors, while that same god allows millions of children to suffer and starve, are not only delusional, they're also especially arrogant, vain, and self-absorbed".
If I was God I would allow people to die and would grant no favors. Having said that, I do not understand your displeasure. Who cares!

Old 04-06-2024, 10:08 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert E View Post
If I was God I would allow people to die and would grant no favors. Having said that, I do not understand your displeasure. Who cares!
I do not understand your displeasure regarding my post. Who cares!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism