Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 08:40 AM

966 posts, read 514,798 times

Advertisements

We have a new neighbor who seems perfectly "normal". She's a retired postmaster and friendly, smart, etc, but has a strong mainstream religious belief that really is not based on any proof other than writings in a suspect book, Moderator cut: Politics

I'm at a loss to explain people like her, and they're everywhere you go, it's not just this one person. Can someone explain this to me? How can people who appear normal have beliefs that are, in my opinion, delusional?

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-05-2023 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: Keep politics out of this forum, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 09:17 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I believe stuff I can't see or prove, like everything is made up of atoms, and the stars are distant suns.
I believe them because trusted authorities (NASA, parents, teachers) have told me they're true.

But choosing an authority to trust can be difficult. If your parents, friends, clergy, and neighbors all agree on something, you'll probably believe it, too. If you aren't particularly analytical, you may never bother questioning it, and simply believe.

Old 11-04-2023, 09:29 AM

3,249 posts, read 1,739,106 times
It all depends on what one chooses to believe in. Some folk need hard, concrete proof. Like something which can be seen with their eyes. Others believe in abstract concepts, as in the paranormal or a supreme being. IE: Ghosts /God ? Arguably, all can be considered valid. But what "God" would torment his/her subjects for not being "properly worshipped" or not adhering to standards set forth in whatever rule book they have ? Thats where organized religions lost me. They contradict themselves. Thats my $02. on this.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:05 AM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I believe stuff I can't see or prove, like everything is made up of atoms, and the stars are distant suns.
I believe them because trusted authorities (NASA, parents, teachers) have told me they're true.

But choosing an authority to trust can be difficult. If your parents, friends, clergy, and neighbors all agree on something, you'll probably believe it, too. If you aren't particularly analytical, you may never bother questioning it, and simply believe.
If you had the time to spare, you could study science until you did understand the evidence
for why the stars are distant suns, or how matter is made up of atoms, or the evolutionary path that led
to human beings. That's one of the great things about science.

But no matter how much study time you put in, you wouldn't find comparable evidence
for the existence of a god... you'd be told you simply have to believe what's written in some ancient book.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:23 AM

15,842 posts, read 6,308,360 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T_jwq9ph8k

My mind was returning some weird info so I set out to prove myself correct by not being able to prove myself wrong. About halfway through this video and went "ya got me." I was oddly angry for about 15 minutes though. People get angry even when they want to know the most likely answer if it's something they like thinking is true.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:29 AM

79 posts, read 21,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
We have a new neighbor who seems perfectly "normal". She's a retired postmaster and friendly, smart, etc, but has a strong mainstream religious belief that really is not based on any proof other than writings in a suspect book, Moderator cut: Politics

I'm at a loss to explain people like her, and they're everywhere you go, it's not just this one person. Can someone explain this to me? How can people who appear normal have beliefs that are, in my opinion, delusional?
One explanation is that those people were indoctrinated into believing that it's true from childhood. When someone believes that something is true, regardless of what it is, it's hard to not believe that it isn't true. And because most, if not all, people are taught to be "good," people will try to justify their beliefs to be good.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-05-2023 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: Quoted post edited

Old 11-04-2023, 10:40 AM

15,842 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by night912 View Post
One explanation is that those people were indoctrinated into believing that it's true from childhood. When someone believes that something is true, regardless of what it is, it's hard to not believe that it isn't true. And because most, if not all, people are taught to be "good," people will try to justify their beliefs to be good.
I have noticed people that split things into good and evil also tend not to make it past level 2 of moral reasoning. They have been told what is good or bad but don't seem to have that anchored as a principle which to work off. It's like a stand-alone rule. The reasoning for some of the good v bad things aren't founded in anything but being told it's bad.

Old 11-04-2023, 11:52 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I have noticed people that split things into good and evil also tend not to make it past level 2 of moral reasoning. They have been told what is good or bad but don't seem to have that anchored as a principle which to work off. It's like a stand-alone rule. The reasoning for some of the good v bad things aren't founded in anything but being told it's bad.
Well-said. Critical thinking and analysis seem to be a lost art.

It appears 50% of the population is how you describe.

Old 11-04-2023, 12:03 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post

Compartmentalization. Herd mentality / need for belonging to the dominant social group. A preference for prepackaged rulesets and morality.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-05-2023 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: Quoted post edited

Old 11-04-2023, 12:08 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Why care what other people think? If you don't find it credible that is fine, but live & let live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism