Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 09:33 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of on City-Data, and that's saying a lot.

It is pretty close to the Christian poster we used to have who said it was obvious that God thought homosexuality was wrong because Israel is shaped like a penis while the part of the middle east adjacent to it was shaped like a vagina. Or something like that. Then she superimposed outlines of a penis and a vagina on maps to prove this.
That is so bizarre....and random.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 09:39 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
My favorite is "Cockasian."

A food vendor business that feeds people despite the moral outrage over dirty words or political correctness.

Old 06-16-2023, 10:45 AM

975 posts, read 535,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I am working these days on a database of basically all the business names in the world (but mostly US and Canada) and today I was struck by how many businesses claim to be God-ordained. Some actual examples:

Greater is He Auto Transport Inc
Christ is Lord LLC
God is With Me LLC
God is the Best LLC
It is Blessed Transportation LLC
He is Risen Enterprises Inc
Jesus Christ is the Savior Trucking LLC
It is Finished Transit (might or might not be a Biblical reference I suppose)
JK God is in Control LLC
Transportation God is King LLC
God is Great Corp
Faith is Glory Logistics LLC
God is With You Transport Inc
He is With Me LLC
Jesus is GD LLC
Jesus is Lord LLC

... and those are just ones I noticed in passing when looking through names with the word "is" in them.

Ah, but there's hope and humor out there too:

Faith is for the Birds LLC
John Galt is Here Now LLC

I wonder how off-putting this is for customers. I might slowly and carefully back away from some of these entrepreneurs. In fairness some of them are probably shell corporations or DBAs and not public-facing. Still, I just can't help but wonder why people don't understand that customers don't care or want to know about your ideology when you name your business ... and if you think you're on a mission from God you're probably NOT reliable or making decisions based on the customer's needs and expectations, but on those of an imaginary friend. And that goes for my two counterexamples, too. What kind of a name is Faith is for the Birds LLC? Doesn't tell you what the business does / promises to do, doesn't differentiate you other than as maybe an idealogue.

If this weren't an atheism forum I could regale you with all sorts of too-clever-by-half business names, outright dumb business names, and wildly misguided ones. But I thought these might be good for a chuckle anyway.
I have found that some of those business use their declaration of affiliation with some religion as a way to get customers, and I also have experience that those are the ones who are dishonorable in their business. I am cynical and think that especially with businesses that declare they are "good" christian businesses are liars. Good christians do not feel the need to declare their goodness, they just quietly go about their business the best they are able.

That "Faith is for the Birds LLC" intrigues me. Probably a pun of some sort or a cynical jab at the others.

I found this on the web:
https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_mo/LC001682043

Old 06-16-2023, 12:07 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
^^^this!!^^^

Old 06-17-2023, 01:27 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Prosperity Gospel's popularity would lead me to believe that usage of the word 'aberration' is off the table
Unfortunately, you may be right.

Old 11-24-2023, 10:01 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
I just had to share a new one that came through today:

Shipping the Yah-Weh

Old 11-24-2023, 10:29 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Virtue signalling is nothing new. Politically (and it was always socio -political) any movement for reform and 'doing it right) would shark up some demagogue demanding some more, harder and more right than what there was and damn' me he'd be replaced by someone who demanded more extremes of dogma, political doctrine or agenda, and that applies to politics as much as religion. Unless you have a dictator (religious of political) who eliminates any such challenge.
I was going to cite some recent or not so recent examples, but this is political enough.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:47 AM

10,526 posts, read 6,158,785 times
Quote:
I am working these days on a database of basically all the business names in the world (but mostly US and Canada) and today I was struck by how many businesses claim to be God-ordained. Some actual examples:

Christ is Lord LLC
God is With Me LLC
God is the Best LLC
JK God is in Control LLC
God is Great Corp
He is With Me LLC
Jesus is GD LLC
Jesus is Lord LLC

... and those are just ones I noticed in passing when looking through names with the word "is" in them.

I wonder how off-putting this is for customers. I might slowly and carefully back away from some of these entrepreneurs. In fairness some of them are probably shell corporations or DBAs and not public-facing. Still, I just can't help but wonder why people don't understand that customers don't care or want to know about your ideology when you name your business ... and if you think you're on a mission from God you're probably NOT reliable or making decisions based on the customer's needs and expectations, but on those of an imaginary friend. And that goes for my two counterexamples, too. What kind of a name is Faith is for the Birds LLC? Doesn't tell you what the business does / promises to do, doesn't differentiate you other than as maybe an idealogue.

If this weren't an atheism forum I could regale you with all sorts of too-clever-by-half business names, outright dumb business names, and wildly misguided ones. But I thought these might be good for a chuckle anyway.
Curious why so many of them are related to transit and transportation. Presumably something to do with the Rapture.

If they are left behind after the Rapture they can set up new businesses such as:
Not Rapture Ready Transportation LLC
Trucking to the Dark Side Inc
Don't get left behind (like I did) Logistics
Not Taken Up Enterprises Corp.

Lol.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:54 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Curious why so many of them are related to transit and transportation.
Most of those come from widely disseminated (on the Internet) Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration data. It does seem to be more prevalent in that realm but then you have to keep in mind that the FMCSA licenses all carriers involved in transport across state lines, and that includes one-truck sole proprietorships, tow truck operators who might at times cross state lines with towed vehicles, private fleets that sometimes backhaul commercial freight ... and the majority of these businesses are very small, and further, I was including inactive or revoked licenses. Likely, a lot of them come and go, their grandiose plans squashed under the weight of reality.

But it's still entertaining.

Old 12-03-2023, 04:56 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,444 times
Quote:

Christ is Lord LLC
God is With Me LLC
God is the Best LLC
JK God is in Control LLC
God is Great Corp
He is With Me LLC
Jesus is GD LLC
Jesus is Lord LLC

I would never frequent a business that had blatantly Christian names like that. No doubt that it's off-putting to everyone who isn't an in-your-face sleeve-wearing Christian. I'd bet even other Christians would be uncomfortable doing business with "holy rollers" like that.

Fanatics of any stripe are people that should be avoided.

I also will not frequent a business that endorses a political candidate -- or pushes a certain hot-button issue.

A business should be absolutely neutral in regards to religion, politics, and controversy. A smart business owner would realize that once your business takes a "side" in anything controversial, you're going to lose business. The only exception would be if your business was deep deep deep in a particular area.

Unfortunately, because I live in a raunchy, deteriorating, dying area of the country where literally everyone is an ultra right-wing Trump-worshiping conservative Republican - our representative hasn't had a Democrat challenger in some 20 years -- businesses here are not afraid to put pro-Trump signs all over their establishments. They know that there are so few Democrats here that they wouldn't notice any loss of business -- and would probably say "good-riddance" to any evil Satan-worshiping Democrats anyway.

We have ONE pizzeria here in town -- and the person who owns it is a gun nut. I have nothing against gun ownership ... per se. But I DO have an issue with gun culture and this ridiculous belief that the 2nd Amendment gives people infinite rights (despite the fact that no other truly important Amendment gives you infinite rights). The guy who owns the pizza place is a gun nut. You know, the kind of person who loves his guns more than he loves his family. The kind of person who thinks kindergarteners being murdered in their own school is just the price of freedom.

He has an entire wall dedicated to pro-gun signs and slogans. In truth, there's nowhere but the floor where one can turn his/her eyes and not see a pro-gun slogan. And of course there are all kinds of violent threats against those -- mainly Democrats -- who wish to take away their precious guns. Never mind the fact that from Reagan to Romney, it has been largely Republicans who have endorsed laws restricting gun ownership. But hey, never let historical fact stand in the way of anti-Democrat "liberal loony" propaganda. Right?

Needless to say I won't go in there, either. Which means I have to drive 20 miles round trip to get a damn pizza -- and yeah, they're not going to deliver pizza 10 miles.

In fact, businesses where I live are filled with religious and political signs -- some of them quite vulgar. Which just goes to show you how disgusting this place is. Even if you DO support Trump, why would you want to expose your children to political signs such as "F..k Biden." No kidding. I had to drive past that every day. You would THINK that someone would've reported it. But apparently not. And now more and more of those signs are cropping up. And these signs are along main thoroughfares -- not backwood country roads where only locals would see them. Why the cops do nothing ... who knows.

But apparently a person's 1st Amendment rights are infinite, too. Though I'd love to see just how long I could have a "F..k Trump" sign before someone didn't a) destroy it or b) call the cops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism