Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 08:06 AM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times

Advertisements

I love old architectures but have you seen the recent renovated Richelieu National Library in Paris? That’s my ideal, dream library.

That and the Public Library and Morgans Library in NYC.

Dreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2023, 05:10 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
One of the most glaring examples of 'Old vs New' is the destruction of Atlanta's Carnegie Library in favor of its Brutalist replacement.

https://www.cardcow.com/images/set546/card00032_fr.jpg

https://www.wmf.org/sites/default/fi...?itok=J3X1eGFc

The fact that the newer library was designed by Marcel Breuer is some consolation.

Old 10-26-2023, 05:22 AM

323 posts, read 135,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Okay, so I miss the old library. The one where you walked past the big, stately desk with the sole older, staid librarian who would "shush" you. I miss the card catalog and long tables with chairs and reading lamps and the studious, quiet, reverent atmosphere. Mostly, though, I miss the little study stations that lined the walls near with windows; where did they go and why? Now you walk in, and kids are running wild. Clerks are sitting around chatting and laughing at the front desk, there are banks of computers where people are talking aloud, including on their phones, and the "study" areas - which used to be private cubicles on the periphery, are now big comfy chairs arranged in a circle in the middle of the room, visible to everyone, mostly occupied by the local homeless population whom you're facing in close proximity if you sit in one. I realize that you can reserve a little dark, locked room if you want total privacy and quiet, but that's such a production and seems like overkill. I sometimes consider dropping my home internet and using public Wifi there instead, but it just doesn't seem conducive. When and why did libraries change from islands of contemplation to public squares and noisy all-purpose gathering places?
This is perhaps the quintessential example of missing something just because anything new is to be disliked.

The card catalog? Jesus, the current terminals with the instantaneous keyword/title/author search is orders of magnitude more useful.

A library is a repository of information. And today, that information is much more accessible than it was in days gone by. My Carnegie library is certainly an example of that. And it tries to live in 2023, not 1923. Fortunately.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:33 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Attached below is a link to photos of the old Cincinnati Main Library, 1874-1955.

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/the...ion-1874-1955/

Old 11-26-2023, 09:56 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Touring the NYC public library is on my bucket list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum