Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 02:59 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times

Advertisements

I believe B vitamins might help.

Surprised some people suggesting steroids in the Alternative Health section.

Steroids are super addictive and have other side effects. I refuse them whenever offered by my docs.

Last edited by considerforamoment; 02-06-2024 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2024, 07:10 AM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
I believe B vitamins might help.

Surprised some people suggesting steroids in the Alternative Health section.

Steroids are super addictive and have other side effects. I refuse them whenever offered by my docs.
big medical is all about BLOCKING what the body is trying to do to cope with underlying issues. got skin issues? block the immune response to the problem with steroids. got high blood pressre? block the calcium channel...etc fubar

Old 02-10-2024, 05:57 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
big medical is all about BLOCKING what the body is trying to do to cope ...
No, it's about dealing with biologic functions that are imperfectly balanced giving an undesirable result. Some medications block, some stimulate to get the balance between excitatory & inhibitory metabolic processes back to normal.

Itching (pruritus) is obviously a symptom of chemical release in allergy or other skin irritation, but also comes from abnormal blood flow in the skin (ever itch after a warm bath?) and more ominously, from an underlying serious condition, like cancer. Unusual itching, not necessarily continuous, can be the first sign of an occult cancer or any cause of hypercalcemia. It's also a later sign of severe liver or kidney disease.

Temporary relief of itching of the skin can be obtained by cooling the skin with an ice pack, cold water, or any chemical that evaporates quickly (alcohol, menthol-type stuff).

Topical steroids can be called for when the problem is obviously a dermatological condition-- a rash usually involved. Oral steroids should be avoided unless they're needed to treat an underlying condition.

Using steroids is like using hand grenades...If you're Sgt York and you need to take out a German machine gun nest pinning down your platoon, then it's the wise choice...If the problem is a fly in your kitchen, maybe an alternative is a preferable solution.

Old 02-10-2024, 03:15 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
No, it's about dealing with biologic functions that are imperfectly balanced giving an undesirable result. Some medications block, some stimulate to get the balance between excitatory & inhibitory metabolic processes back to normal.

Itching (pruritus) is obviously a symptom of chemical release in allergy or other skin irritation, but also comes from abnormal blood flow in the skin (ever itch after a warm bath?) and more ominously, from an underlying serious condition, like cancer. Unusual itching, not necessarily continuous, can be the first sign of an occult cancer or any cause of hypercalcemia. It's also a later sign of severe liver or kidney disease.

Temporary relief of itching of the skin can be obtained by cooling the skin with an ice pack, cold water, or any chemical that evaporates quickly (alcohol, menthol-type stuff).

Topical steroids can be called for when the problem is obviously a dermatological condition-- a rash usually involved. Oral steroids should be avoided unless they're needed to treat an underlying condition.

Using steroids is like using hand grenades...If you're Sgt York and you need to take out a German machine gun nest pinning down your platoon, then it's the wise choice...If the problem is a fly in your kitchen, maybe an alternative is a preferable solution.
Not to mention the whole itch/scratch cycle.

https://www.healthline.com/health/wh...why-scratching

I've had a couple of small localized itchy spots for decades. They're always in the same place, the skin looks totally normal: no rash, discoloration, texture change, nothing. The itch isn't constant. Those spots just decide to start itching out of the blue on a regular basis. I've done some of the more obvious things like switching soap and detergent, checking chlorine content in the water, avoiding a few fabrics (high content polyester garments and my skin just don't get along), I've applied moisturizers, OTC anti-itch products, allowed myself to scratch gently, taught myself techniques to resist the urge, being more careful about rinsing off after sweating, nothing has made much difference. Yes, applying a bit of rubbing alcohol or a cold pack helps calm a spot down.

Counterintuitively, some skin itches caused by insect bites, or reactions to some plant irritants also respond to applied heat as that interrupts histamine response. There is science behind this but obviously one can overdo it and cause an actual burn.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10309056/

I found an odd little itch stopper gadget in a catalog decades ago that is my go-to for defined itches such as insect bites. It offers a range of heat settings but I've never needed more than the lowest 1 or 2 to get relief. Living where I do insect bites are a constant fact of summer life. I keep one gadget at work, one at home.

Then there's placebo effect. Whether something actually helps or you simply believe it will, you find it's effective.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-10-2024 at 04:07 PM..

Old 02-11-2024, 08:11 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Not to mention the whole itch/scratch cycle.

https://www.healthline.com/health/wh...why-scratching

I've had a couple of small localized itchy spots for decades. They're always in the same place, the skin looks totally normal: no rash, discoloration, texture change, nothing. The itch isn't constant. Those spots just decide to start itching out of the blue on a regular basis. I've done some of the more obvious things like switching soap and detergent, checking chlorine content in the water, avoiding a few fabrics (high content polyester garments and my skin just don't get along), I've applied moisturizers, OTC anti-itch products, allowed myself to scratch gently, taught myself techniques to resist the urge, being more careful about rinsing off after sweating, nothing has made much difference. Yes, applying a bit of rubbing alcohol or a cold pack helps calm a spot down.

Counterintuitively, some skin itches caused by insect bites, or reactions to some plant irritants also respond to applied heat as that interrupts histamine response. There is science behind this but obviously one can overdo it and cause an actual burn.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10309056/

I found an odd little itch stopper gadget in a catalog decades ago that is my go-to for defined itches such as insect bites. It offers a range of heat settings but I've never needed more than the lowest 1 or 2 to get relief. Living where I do insect bites are a constant fact of summer life. I keep one gadget at work, one at home.

Then there's placebo effect. Whether something actually helps or you simply believe it will, you find it's effective.
It is interesting how different methods will work with different itching episodes. Somewhere I read that pain is better than itch and I believe it. I always try rubbing alcohol first, that sting is better than the itch, and then ice if needed. Recently I had a neck rash that was relieved by hot hot water in the shower. That's unusual for my itch history but it was a glorious relief.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:34 AM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
might look at dmso preparations. dmso is known for it's ability to penetrate the skin. formulators mix different things into dsmo to deliver them. it's said that dmso alone can relieve pain. might be worth a shot on itches

Old 02-11-2024, 11:26 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Itching, in my experience, is usually due to allergy or chemical sensitivity. Chemicals in fabric softener, laundry detergent, artificially scented products, etc. Sometimes it's an allergy to a commonly eaten food like wheat or dairy. My guess is that stress could weaken you and make it worse. Any toxic products that you are using should be eliminated anyway. Whatever it is, soap, detergent, etc., is just stressing your body even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine