Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 11:24 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Hey, where are they located. I'd love to check them out.

One thing I've noticed: over the years one tends to cull their restaurant options down to a few favourites and I haven't strayed from mine (as far as New Mexican) in a looong time.

ABQConvict
Well I always go to the one on 4th St., just north of Osuna, on the East Side. However, there are two, so the other one may or may not be closer to where you live. Here is a website with the locations, and it has a map to help. Locations - Albuquerque Tortilla Company (http://www.albuquerque-tortilla.com/locations.html - broken link)

Let me know what you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 09:36 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
I was joking last night that when I move here, one thing I would miss from Tampa was Cuban sandwiches.

Darn if we didn't pass a Cuban restaurant today on Central.

Is there any kind of food not found here?

Old 10-27-2007, 10:11 PM

741 posts, read 2,922,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I was joking last night that when I move here, one thing I would miss from Tampa was Cuban sandwiches.

I'm not sure if this is the place you spotted on Central or not, but Laru Ni Hati (Cafe Cubano) makes the best Cuban sandwiches I've had locally. OK, they're the only Cuban sandwiches I've had locally, but they're still delicious. They also hand roll their own cigars there, if you care to partake in a cigar and glass of port.

And yes its kind of weird that the cafe is located in a (well reviewed) hair salon.
(I won't go into detail about their late night trim special ). But that is the kind of quirkyness you can come to expect in ABQ, particularly in the Nob Hill area.

Chap

Old 10-28-2007, 06:21 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post

Actually, there's a decent sized Cuban community in Albuquerque, so it makes sense there would be some Cuban food places:

The Cuban Community in Albuquerque, New Mexico (http://www.abqarts.org/cultural/survey/cuban-cs.htm - broken link)

Although, actually, it looks like that article kind of suggests there isn't a whole lot of Cuban food after all, and it mentions the same place just mentioned:

Cuba is a Spanish speaking country, and as such, outside of idioms and colloquialisms, has not had a difficult time in maintaining language traditions. Cuisine is another matter. I was told that there have been three or four attempts a establishing a Cuban restaurant in Albuquerque and all of them have ended in failure. As one Cubano pointed out, “I guess Cuban food just isn’t spicy enough for New Mexicans.”

However, there is one establishment in the Nob Hill area that is currently serving Cuban food for lunch. Although it is primarily an outlet for skin and hair care products, they maintain an lunch counter featuring Cuban-style sandwiches and other dishes, such as Moros y Cristianos (black beans and rice).

Old 10-28-2007, 08:05 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie_2 View Post
How 'bout Copeland's near Cottonwood mall in Rio Rancho. Yummy!
That's not Rio Rancho, that's albuquerque But I agree they are one of the best in town even if it's a chain restaurant.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:43 PM

The Cuban place on Central we passed is Don Yasmany Cuban Restaurant & Bakery (oooo, real Cuban bread on the Cubans!) Wonder if he makes them Miami style or Tampa style?

Gil's Thrilling Web Site

Old 11-05-2007, 08:59 PM

266 posts, read 911,231 times
I have not eaten out a lot in Albuquerque in the two years I've lived here, but just thought I'd put in my 2 cents. My husband and I can't figure out why everyone is so hip on El Pinto. We heard such great things about it that we took out-of-town guests there and were almost embarrassed. We sat on the patio (in July) and were bombarded by flies. We then moved inside and the atmosphere was just okay--the room we sat in was very bland. The food was okay, but nothing outstanding. Also, I don't get the love affair with Dion's and Saggio's--pizza at both places is VERY average. A lot of people like Il Vicino--it's good, but nothing to rave about.

Enough complaining. I find that Range Cafe is a fun atmosphere and overall good food. Love Flying Star Cafe! Was very impressed with a salad I had a Scarpa's--second visit was so-so. The other night, my husband and I tried a chain restaurant we had never been to before--Texas Cattle and Steak, something like that??? (Near 25 where all those other big chain restaurants are.) I tend to like smaller family-run places, but we had a great meal there.
My favorite meal thus far has been at a Greek restaurant--I think it's called Athens?--in the same shopping center as Wild Oats, off Academy, near San Mateo. Wonderful hummus!

Old 11-06-2007, 06:07 AM

Are you thinking Texas Land & Cattle Steakhouse? Haven't eaten at the ABQ one, but the ones in Dallas were very good.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:34 PM

23 posts, read 227,204 times
Default best food

New Mexican : Seferino's on Central (east of San Mateo) .
Chinese: Chen's On Juan Tabo.
American: Cooperage on Lomas.
Breakfast : Wecks.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:42 PM

23 posts, read 227,204 times
Go to Seferino's on Central. The best New Mexican food in town.Bar none. I won't eat anywhere else. Order the blue corn enchiladas with roast beef,topped with red chile. You will notice an awesome flavor from the first bite. Its across from the Checker Auto Parts just east of San Mateo on Central. As a matter of fact, I'm going tomorrow for lunch. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque