Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2024, 12:22 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times

Advertisements

history nerd here....I know the post has been decommissioned and partly redeveloped, but wondering if any oldtimers can help....came across a postcard on ebay of what's called the "enlisted men's swimming pool"....it seems huge.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155360729406

I did find a recent-ish picture of an abandoned pool behind the officer's club, but don't know its current status and don't think it's the same pool....a quick scan of Google Earth doesn't show any pool anywhere......

wondering if anybody knows *exactly* where this old enlisted men's pool is or used to be, when it was demolished (if that happened), and what's there now.....hoping to set up a "then and now" shot....any help appreciated.....thanks

https://www.google.com/maps/search/f...!1e3?entry=ttu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2024, 12:43 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
My best guess is the former outdoor pool from the 1950s postcard is now the enclosed pool that is represented by the Anniston Aquatic and Fitness center if you search for that on your google map link.

Old 01-01-2024, 01:46 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Anniston Historic Preservation Commission should be able to provide you with answers.

Old 01-02-2024, 09:54 AM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
There were four pools.

"Fort McClellan, with functional areas already in place, need minimal construction to become ready for training new soldiers. A "Civilian Village" was added between 1937 and 1946, and this residential zone was laid out similar to the post command area. A traffic circle was added near the firehouse, joining "Middle Gate Road" (now Baltzell), 15th Street, 20th Street, "South Gate Road", and Post Headquarters Road. Both permanent and temporary construction took place at Fort McClellan in the 40s to accommodate the 27th Division . This phase of construction was accomplished with $6.5 million in federal funding. This generation of buildings was constructed during the tenure of Commanding Officer Colonel John L. Jenkins. Overall, the improvements included 47 miles of paved roads, 27 miles of unpaved roads, 27 warehouses, 12 shops and a small foundry, school buildings, a cold storage facility able to meet the needs of 40,000 individuals, sewage facilities for 50,000, a general hospital, new cantonments, three dormitories for civilian workers, four swimming pools, two libraries, service clubs, guest houses, 200 dayrooms, three bowling alleys, five theaters, and an amphitheater with a 12,000-person seating capacity."

Fort McClellan Army Base, Alabama

Old 01-02-2024, 10:21 AM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
It might be in here.

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/tr/pdf/ADA377541.pdf

Have fun with that!

Old 01-19-2024, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,435 times
Fort McClellan was a special place for many of us. I went through Basic Training there in 1983 under the command of the greatest President in American history. I spent many a summer camp and weekend drill there during my years in the Alabama National Guard. I lived close enough to enjoy the post regularly. My last time living there was during Operation Desert Shield (build-up to Desert Storm) when I was part of an Army Reserve class to prepare a unit to deploy by bringing them up to minimum standards as to MOS qualified. I moved on to Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville and not long after Desert Storm wrapped up I moved to the Army Reserve in Arkansas. I still visit the graveyard at McClellan which dates back to WWII. There are a lot of POWs buried there and as their resting place is far from their home, I like to pay my respects as often as possible. McClellan was a victim of the Democrat's revenge but we will save that for another thread.

Old 01-23-2024, 01:44 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There were four pools.

"Fort McClellan, with functional areas already in place, need minimal construction to become ready for training new soldiers. A "Civilian Village" was added between 1937 and 1946, and this residential zone was laid out similar to the post command area. A traffic circle was added near the firehouse, joining "Middle Gate Road" (now Baltzell), 15th Street, 20th Street, "South Gate Road", and Post Headquarters Road. Both permanent and temporary construction took place at Fort McClellan in the 40s to accommodate the 27th Division . This phase of construction was accomplished with $6.5 million in federal funding. This generation of buildings was constructed during the tenure of Commanding Officer Colonel John L. Jenkins. Overall, the improvements included 47 miles of paved roads, 27 miles of unpaved roads, 27 warehouses, 12 shops and a small foundry, school buildings, a cold storage facility able to meet the needs of 40,000 individuals, sewage facilities for 50,000, a general hospital, new cantonments, three dormitories for civilian workers, four swimming pools, two libraries, service clubs, guest houses, 200 dayrooms, three bowling alleys, five theaters, and an amphitheater with a 12,000-person seating capacity."

Fort McClellan Army Base, Alabama
All of that for $6.5M. The same thing now would most likely cost billions, or at the least hundreds of millions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: