Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2022, 08:07 AM

26 posts, read 21,164 times

Advertisements

We arrived in town late in December and were thrilled to see so much snow. Figured it would only get deeper in January and February, but instead it's melting, almost gone in the second week of February!
What gives? Is this a normal weather pattern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 08:34 AM

2,037 posts, read 1,605,720 times
It’s not normal. Longtime North Dakotans will tell you that winters are nothing like they used to be. Sometimes the snow will stay on the ground until May, before it starts to melt. It has(so far) been a fairly mild winter in the upper Midwest.

Old 02-24-2022, 01:55 PM

26 posts, read 21,164 times
Thank you!
Still - it beats Houston's steamy heat any day.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:17 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
It’s not normal. Longtime North Dakotans will tell you that winters are nothing like they used to be. Sometimes the snow will stay on the ground until May, before it starts to melt. It has(so far) been a fairly mild winter in the upper Midwest.
LOL, I remember growing up in North Dakota and never seeing the ground in the Winter. The first snow would come sometime in October. That snow would be part of the snow melt around the end of April. Usually it would melt pretty fast. I don't recall much snow on the ground in May. By the end of April the temperature was getting pretty warm, so the snow finally melted really quickly. I remember we had to dig trenches through the snow to channel the snow melt away from our house. Otherwise water would pool up next to the house and flood into the basement.

Eastern Montana was the same. We had to finally move to Wyoming before I experienced my first non-white Christmas. I remember how bizarre it was to look out the window on Christmas Day and see nothing but brown grass, no snow anywhere except for maybe a few small patches in the shade.

That seemed to change by the 1980s. One time in the 80s I remember talking to my aunt on the phone who still lived in North Dakota. I told her, you must still have a lot of snow on the ground. She replied that no they hadn't had much snow all winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
View detailed profiles of: